• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing Selector: Dream ODI XI

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Saqlain has ridiculously awesome stats over his career, but I could see Warne or Vettori picked over him. Still like Warne over Vettori as well (adds a similar amount with the bat and more with the ball).

King Pietersen

International Captain
Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist +
Ricky Ponting
Sir Viv Richards
Kevin Pietersen
Michael Bevan
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Dennis Lillee
Joel Garner
Muttiah Muralitharan

Would be my XI. Was a tough choice between Pietersen, Symonds, De Villiers and Kallis for that #5 position; went with my bias, and for Pietersen. :p

Athlai

Not Terrible
Saqlain has ridiculously awesome stats over his career, but I could see Warne or Vettori picked over him. Still like Warne over Vettori as well (adds a similar amount with the bat and more with the ball).
I'd be very interested in seeing how Vettori would bowl with such a great attack alongside him as he has always struck me as a player who bowls best with pressure coming from the other end as well.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tendulkar
Gilchrist +
Ponting
Richards
Symonds
Bevan

Already a nightmare.
True. Imagine the pain of trying to set a field for that batting lineup.

Stack 8 fielders behind point and tell them to bowl short and wide outside off and hope that every ball doesn't go for six is about the only way to contain this lineup IMO :ph34r:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist +
Ricky Ponting
Sir Viv Richards
Kevin Pietersen
Michael Bevan
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Dennis Lillee
Joel Garner
Muttiah Muralitharan

Would be my XI. Was a tough choice between Pietersen, Symonds, De Villiers and Kallis for that #5 position; went with my bias, and for Pietersen. :p
Sachin Tendulkar - Equal ODI greatest batsman with Viv
Matthew Hayden - Between 2007-2009, I've never seen any other batsman bat as well in limited overs cricket
Ricky Ponting - Best number 3 in ODI cricket, 30 odd ODI centuries
Sir Vivian Richards - Equal ODI greatest batsman with Sachin
MS Dhoni (wk) - Best wicketkeeper-batsman in ODI's, is a match-winner, can play numerous roles when required
Michael Bevan - Match winner, highest average, deserved his place
Lance Klusener - Prob best lower order hitter, match-winner off his own bat, averaged high 40s for most of his career with the bat and averaged under 30 with the ball
Shaun Pollock - On par with Glenn McGrath, except he can bat and was far-away easily the best ODI bowler at one stage on the rankings
Wasim Akram - Leading wicket-taker as a fast bowler. One of the true ODI greats and gives depth with batting
Shane Bond - Performances against Australia, averaging around 11-12 against the best ODI team ever. Plus averaged under 20 for majority of his career.
Muttiah Muralitharan - Best ODI spinner of alltime

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
No real suggestions, sounds like an awesome idea. Here's what I think the team will be:

Tendulkar
Gilchrist +
Ponting
Richards
Hussey
Bevan
Akram
Lillee
Garner
McGrath
Murali
Thats more or less what my side would be. Perhaps either Pollock or Imran instead of Lillee for me.

Matt79

Global Moderator
My dream ODI team is more fluid than my test equivalent, but it would be something close to:
Tendulkar
Gilchrist+
Ponting*
Richards
Symonds
Bevan
Kapil Dev
Imran
Warne
Garner
McGrath

Wasim and Murali incredibly stiff to miss out, but I think Kapil and Imran's batting makes this team extraordinarily deep, and with three other genuine great bowlers and a very good one in Kapil, I want Warne's X-factor more than Murali's extraordinary consistency (a fine difference, given their both so great). The change I might make is leaving out Symonds in favour of Wasim to strengthen the bowling further, but I think the above is what I'd go with.

1.Jayasuriya
2.Tendulkar
3.Richards
4.Ponting
5.Dhoni
6.Klusener
7.Cairns
8.Pollock
9.Akram
10.Hadlee
11.Murali

Very tough to make a better ODI team than that - arguably the greatest ODI batsman opening with perhaps the greatest ODI batting all rounder.The most destructive batsman ever at 3,one of the biggest match winners at 4 with a man who averages 50+ with a splendid SR at 5.Then big hitters in Klusener,Cairns,Pollock and Akram and Hadlee were no mugs with the bat.Bowling attack consists of Akram,Hadlee,Pollock,Murali,Cairns,Klusener with Richards,Sachin and Jaya providing part time options if required.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
looking at the leading candidates in the first two polls, the team at the moment looks like,,,

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Glen McGrath

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
looking at the leading candidates in the first two polls, the team at the moment looks like,,,

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Glen McGrath
If Murali gets the spinners spot, I don't think the tail will look too good with Garner, McGrath and Murali.

I know it's not that important as the top 7 will be good, it'll just mean that the number 7 we go for should be a very capable batsman.

Teja.

Global Moderator

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Glen McGrath
I don't think the bowling attack would practically be the best possible though. 2 of the three above coupled with an extremely attacking bowler like Donald/Waqar would have been ideal. But it's still wicked I guess.

bagapath

International Captain
i would have loved to have hadlee in place of mcgrath; same class of bowling but 20 odd runs more as a batsman.

Fusion

Global Moderator
If Murali gets the spinners spot, I don't think the tail will look too good with Garner, McGrath and Murali.

I know it's not that important as the top 7 will be good, it'll just mean that the number 7 we go for should be a very capable batsman.
That's why it should be Imran at 7. A top of the line quick that can more than hold his bat. :)