• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing Selector: Dream ODI XI

bagapath

International Captain
Planning to start a selection thread once gain; this time to choose the Greatest ODI XI of all time.

In tests, we have selected all sorts of teams from different eras and all time best teams. But in ODIs we have so far put together only a dream World Cup XI. An all time team would make this whole exercise complete. May be we can go for a Dream T20 team in two years time.

Here is what I propose to do for this thread.

We will first select

1) two opening batsmen
2) three middle order batsmen
3) three fast bowlers
4) one spinner
and
5) for the last two places we can choose from an assortment of top runner up bowlers, batters and all-rounders depending on the other nine players.

if a wicket keeper is not chosen by this time we will have them also in the mix for this poll.

since SR is an important factor in this format I have come up with an additional requirement to be eligible for selection apart from the regular aggregate/average cut off we will have.

we will multiply a batsman's average with his SR and call the resultant number the ASR index. and we will select only those who have 2500+ points on this index.

for example a batsman with an average of 30 should have a SR well above 80 to be eligible for this team. a jayasuriya or a gilchrist would be able to meet this requirement comfortably despite a sub-35 avg.

on the other hand a batter with a 40+ avg can have a 65+ SR and yet make it to the polls. players like miandad and greenidge who were champions in this format from a different era will still be up for selection despite low SR compared to the present generation.

I skimmed through ODI records and figured this would kind of keep all good players in the fray without making the poll options too many.

I also intend to use only the records against major test playing nations and zimbabwe. zimbabwe, in my opinion was a decent ODI team for a considerable time; as good as SL was in the 80s or India and Pakistan were in the 80s.

those who wish to include stats against bang and other minnows can always look at the cricinfo records for consolidated numbers. similarly additional weightage for world cup performances or achievements in multi-team tournaments can be discussed in detail in individual threads.

will wait for suggestions from you guys before starting the polls.

JBH001

International Regular
Great idea, bagapath. Then, after this, when you are ready, maybe you could do a combined Test and ODI XI? :)

Wrt this exercise, why not include Bangers in the criteria? I would, however, exclude the associated nations et al.

Also, is ER being taken into consideration as well? Or is the fact that it varies so much from the 70s/80s to the 90s/00s mean that it is difficult to really assess between players of their respective eras?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds cool. :) How about picking an all-rounder or two early on? They're key people in ODIs especially.

bagapath

International Captain
four or six.
for all you know some of the fastbowlers will be all rounders anyway... and one opening batsman candidate is a wk, another one is a pace bowler and the third one can bowl left arm spin. so a lot of your allrounders will be selected pretty early.

jbh! lets do the combined xi immediately after this poll. i think ER is difficult to normalize across the eras. suggestions are welcome. and okay, i will keep stats against bang in the poll

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No real suggestions, sounds like an awesome idea. Here's what I think the team will be:

Tendulkar
Gilchrist +
Ponting
Richards
Hussey
Bevan
Akram
Lillee
Garner
McGrath
Murali

Although no alrounders in that lot, that is one mighty bowling attack and a brilliant as hell batting lineup. They could play:

Greenidge
Hayden
Lara
Abbas
Kallis
Dhoni+
Pollock
Hadlee
Lee
Waqar
Saqlain

EDIT: And I realise that I have left out Imran, who would certainly get into one of these teams. Maybe the #2 side ahead of Lee.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pollock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lee in that second team

And I'd get Jayasuriya ahead of Greenidge

G.I.Joe

International Coach
EDIT: And I realise that I have left out Imran, who would certainly get into one of these teams. Maybe the #2 side ahead of Lee.
Kapil would make the first XI ahead of Imran. Imran's SR far too low for a lower order batsman.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Symonds was a better player than Hussey IMO. Bit controversial but would suit that side a lot more as well.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Vettori a possibility of that second XI? Adds a lot with the bat and is right up there with Saqlain in limited overs.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pollock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lee in that second team

And I'd get Jayasuriya ahead of Greenidge
I can see Jaya for Greenidge, but both Pollock and Lee were in my 2nd team, so I'm not sure what point you were making :P

Imran and Dev both could find a place in one of these teams as well, as they were both kinda picked off the top of my head.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Interesting I would have thought that as an opposing captain knowing that I had to dismiss/contain BOTH of those players would have been an absolute nightmare.
Tendulkar
Gilchrist +
Ponting
Richards
Symonds
Bevan

Already a nightmare.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I can see Jaya for Greenidge, but both Pollock and Lee were in my 2nd team, so I'm not sure what point you were making :P

Imran and Dev both could find a place in one of these teams as well, as they were both kinda picked off the top of my head.
I'm sure he wasn't. :ph34r: