• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dream ODI XI: Choose THREE fast bowlers

Who will be the THREE fast bowlers in your Dream ODI XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Gone with Garner, McGrath and Akram.

Garner I consider the greatest ODI bowler of all time. McGrath simply awesome for such a long period of time. The last choice for me was between Akram and Donald. Hard to split the two considering how destructive both could be, picked Akram based on extra batting ability.

bagapath

International Captain
went for garner, wasaim and hadlee; three of the most accurate attacking fast bowlers ever; two of them could hit the ball a long way too.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Went for Garner, Wasim and Waqar. I'd give the new ball to the first two as I believe they'd keep it tighter and then bring Waqar on from the 30th over onwards to destroy teams with reverse swing. :cool:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Went for Garner, McGrath and Pollock. Feel so dirty not voting for Wasim, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't go for McGrath, and Pollock's so underrated as an ODI player IMO.

I missed Pollock somehow and voted for Mcgrath,Akram and Hadlee,I thought Pollock would be one of the all rounders.Bagapath when you tally the votes could you please change my vote from Mcgrath to Pollock?

bagapath

International Captain
I missed Pollock somehow and voted for Mcgrath,Akram and Hadlee,I thought Pollock would be one of the all rounders.Bagapath when you tally the votes could you please change my vote from Mcgrath to Pollock?
sure... if it would make a difference

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hadlee, Polllock and Waqar

Hadlee and Pollock to strangle and Waqar to blow you away when you swing at him in frustration. Just think it makes a nice combination personally. Plenty of excellent options.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Went for McGrath, Akram and Lee. Wanted a mixture of accuracy and pace, and to have a lefty. Lee's incredible SR gets him in imo since I think taking wickets is critical (went for Lee over Bond for fitness), and Akram's batting also handy.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Ambrose,Wasim and Mcgrath for me.

Ambrose had a incredible economy rate as compared to his contemporaries.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Garner, Akram and Pollock are my choices.
Same here.

McGrath, Hadlee and Ambrose both very unlucky.

Garner cannot be omitted given the unique proposition he offered.

Akram is an all-time ODI great and likewise cannot be left out.

Pollock gets in because of his fine record and is also a potentially destructive batsman. But I'm feeling a bit uneasy about having preferred him to Hadlee.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IMO the best three ODI fast bowlers ever to grace the cricket pitch were Garner, Akram and McGrath.

These three stand out as being the best of the best.

Garner's sheer statistics and dominance over his contemporaries highlights his value to the team.
Akram's sheer volume of wickets and abilities with the ball were unparallelled. He was a lefty to boot.
McGrath is arguably the greatest fast bowler of all time when both forms of the game were taken into account. Relentlessly accurate and statistically the greatest World Cup bowler ever, you can't go past him to lead the attack.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=12;type=trophy

McGrath in World Cups -
16 more wickets than the next highest wicket taker
Behind only Warne and Bond in WPM for bowlers who have taken 25 or more WC wickets
Best bowling average of any WC bowler to bowl 1000 balls or more
Best strike rate of any WC bowler to bowl 1000 balls or more
Best bowling figures in a WC match (7 overs, 4 maidens, 7/15 vs Namibia)
One of only 4 bowlers to take five wickets in an innings twice
Most wickets in a WC series (26 in 06/07) (he was also sixth on the list for his 02/03 performance)

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
And he did that in a time when powerplays etc had come in and scores were generally getting bigger.