• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player of the Decade - Ponting

Redbacks

International Captain
Can't fathom why it wasn't Kallis. Almost as good as Ponting with the bat during the decade and a handy bowler as well. If you offered Ponting the ability to bowl fast-medium at second change regularly at a bowling average in the low to mid 30s for the cost of a couple of points off his batting average, I'm sure he'd take it.
We had 3 bowlers getting wickets at a much cheaper rate.

Debris

International 12th Man
Can't fathom why it wasn't Kallis. Almost as good as Ponting with the bat during the decade and a handy bowler as well. If you offered Ponting the ability to bowl fast-medium at second change regularly at a bowling average in the low to mid 30s for the cost of a couple of points off his batting average, I'm sure he'd take it.
Ponting was one of the top 3 or 4 fieldsman of the decade as well (if not the best) so I think he has a bit over Kallis there. And he scores a bit faster.

Then there is captaincy record to consider.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Both Tests and ODIs:

1) McGrath/Ponting
3) Kallis
4) Gilchrist
5) Murali

Loved this bit on Cricinfo:

The pattern of many an Australian summer's day went like this: wake up, telly on, wicket falls, Ponting in, get distracted by the commentary team's spruiking of memorabilia and the wavelike lapping of the run flow, then by coffee and the lawnmower, return to the lounge room in time to see Ponting raising his bat again.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
We had 3 bowlers getting wickets at a much cheaper rate.
Fifth bowler's always very useful though. Australia were searching for an allrounder to bat in the top seven for quite some time during Ponting's career - they couldn't find one who could actually justify his position as a batsman and be a frontline bowler but they were constantly on the lookout - hence the persistence with Watson in ODIs early in his career, the original selection of Symonds in Tests, the fact that Symonds was persisted with early on when he wasn't scoring any runs, etc etc. Ponting would've loved to had that up his sleeve while still maintaining his status as a world class batsman even if he had to give away a fraction of his batting prowess.

Ponting was one of the top 3 or 4 fieldsman of the decade as well (if not the best) so I think he has a bit over Kallis there. And he scores a bit faster.
Kallis was a world class slipper as well though. In the grand scheme of things there was **** all difference between Ponting and Kallis on batting and fielding - Ponting was a fraction better but I definitely don't think it's a difference you could call significant throughout the decade; certainly not as significant as the difference between Kallis's bowling and Ponting's bowling anyway. I think people are a bit caught up in the romance of Ponting being the best batsman - sure, he was, but someone who's extremely close to being the best batsman who is also a good bowler is far, far more useful.

Unlike others who have put Kallis forward, I'm not even prepared to say it was close; it should have been a walkover decision. It's just part of the general bias among the cricket-supporting public against players thought of as "boring" and the chronic undervaluing of allrounders.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Dont have to, just look at Pontings record as a batsman, fielder and captain in both forms of the game. His record as captain in the WC alone is outstanding and probably will never be matched. Murali dosent bring much other than being a bowler.
Kallis, MoYo, Sanga, Jayawardane average close to that. but my main concern was with gilchrist. in this decade Murali >> Gilchrist

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Personally think that Ponting has been the pre-eminent cricketer of the decade; maybe not the best but one of the most dominant figures in the game. A bit like how Viv is looked upon throughout the 80s. There may have been better players during that period, and it may not have been Viv's peak, but he was the man during that period.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kallis, McGrath, Murali for me. Close decision between those three, Ponting doesn't really feature for mine. When everyone's scoring runs and no one's taking wickets I'm always giving the accolades to the few players who continue to take wickets, and vice versa. Kallis is just superhuman.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Between Ponting, McGrath and Murali for mine. Any one of those would be deserving in my eyes, with Kallis in fourth. What is maybe being overlooked here is that for most of this decade, Ponting has achieved all of this while being (the-most-winningest ever) captain. Pretty amazing and definitely adds something to the regard he is rightly held in.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Why do you put Murali at 5? Also, both the number 1's are Aussies unsurprisingly.
Although i dont agree with Murali being so low either. At least let the poster explain his choice before trying to suggest "nationality bias"..

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why do you put Murali at 5? Also, both the number 1's are Aussies unsurprisingly.
Come on Pratters, it's not as if everyone else has Murali at one. Think you could just be jumping at the chance there, especially considering the official list had Murali at 4 and three Aussies in the top 5.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Laughable decision. Ponting is a horrible captain so you can't really include that as a factor. The bowlers mentioned are worldwide all-time greats. Ponting is not in the same bracket. There are numerous batsmen in this era with a record like his. He might be considered an all-time great in Australia, but in a couple of decades cricket fans in general will remember Murali, McGrath and Warne far more than Ponting. McGrath and Murali had awesome records for the decade so it should have been between those two.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I've stopped getting angry when batsmen get the accolades over bowlers. Happens all the time, MoM awards, all time awards, etc. The expert morons can go **** themselves, especially as they keep on bleating (rightly) about flat pitches and how bowlers win matches.