• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Roebuck dies

howardj

International Coach
That he was a loner meant that he was not afraid to offend, and call it as he saw it. Geez, he wrote some left field stuff, but was as independent as you get in this incestuous age where as a commentator you barely get a look-in unless you're a former player.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sadly when Bhogle wrote his review of Roebuck's autobio, he included "luckily for Peter he too has a long innings ahead of him" as part of the final par.

It's a sad loss.

Spikey

Sadly when Bhogle wrote his review of Roebuck's autobio, he included "luckily for Peter he too has a long innings ahead of him" as part of the final par.

It's a sad loss.
Was reading one of Roebuck's articles from this year and it featured the M Keynes quote "In the long run we are all dead." :mellow:

benchmark00

I wasn't particularly endeared to Roebuck. I didn't dislike him, in fact I actually liked alot of his articles, but what I found an incredibly rare and quality trait in him is during his radio commentary he threw his ego out the window.

He used to sit there and almost play the fool, despite him obviously be amazingly learned and experienced in the game.

For example, he'd be commentating and the captain would bring in an extra slips fielder from fine leg, and he would say "oh how come they've brought that guy up into that position?" and it would give the main commentator a chance to explain to listeners that such and such batting has a tendency to nick off early in his innings etc etc, even though Roebuck knew perfectly well what was happening.

I dunno, it's only a small thing, but I think it was really good.

Also, he had probably the best job in the world. Traveling the world and writing opinion pieces on the sport he loved. Amazing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wasn't particularly endeared to Roebuck. I didn't dislike him, in fact I actually liked alot of his articles, but what I found an incredibly rare and quality trait in him is during his radio commentary he threw his ego out the window.

He used to sit there and almost play the fool, despite him obviously be amazingly learned and experienced in the game.

For example, he'd be commentating and the captain would bring in an extra slips fielder from fine leg, and he would say "oh how come they've brought that guy up into that position?" and it would give the main commentator a chance to explain to listeners that such and such batting has a tendency to nick off early in his innings etc etc, even though Roebuck knew perfectly well what was happening.

I dunno, it's only a small thing, but I think it was really good.

Also, he had probably the best job in the world. Traveling the world and writing opinion pieces on the sport he loved. Amazing.
That sounds a real nice thing. I really hope there are no icky issues with his death, but all the secrecy being maintained is not giving me a good feeling about this...

Dissector

International Debutant
Wow, an unexpected death. I found Roebuck's writing a tad overwrought but I admit I often enjoyed it. He was a unique voice among crikcet commentators and he will be missed.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
That sounds a real nice thing. I really hope there are no icky issues with his death, but all the secrecy being maintained is not giving me a good feeling about this...
i've already started imagining a conspiracy theory :ph34r:

Roebuck finds out that some players in the australian and/or southafrican team deliberately threw their wickets away, i.e were part of match/spot fixing, in that freak middle session on day 2 ---> some bookie gangsters threaten him once they become aware he's somehow found out-----> he then gets hold of police ----> so they later murder him (like Bob Woolmer, Hansie Cronje) :(

Can't believe he's dead. :(

Flem274*

123/5
Roebuck finds out that some players in the australian and/or southafrican team deliberately threw their wickets away, i.e were part of match/spot fixing, in that freak middle session on day 2 ---> some bookie gangsters threaten him once they become aware he's somehow found out-----> he then gets hold of police ----> so they later murder him (like Bob Woolmer, Hansie Cronje) :(
I'd rather you didn't speculate in the R.I.P. thread thanks. At least wait for the police to reveal their part before launching into this stuff.

Spikey

i heard roebuck killed himself because he couldn't find any UGG BOOTS to buy in SA