• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Roebuck dies

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jesus. Won't be a hypocrite and say I liked the bloke, but he could turn a phrase and was a distinctive voice on the sport.

RIP.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Was just reading a Roebuck article and suddenly see that the top cricket article on the site is that he has passed away. Very sad news and a sad day for the cricket world.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Edited thread title now that it's been confirmed.

Enjoyed Ian O'Brien's tribute here:
We love an opinion, whether we agree or not. We've just lost a great polariser.

Ruckus

International Captain
Really sad stuff.

Echo O'Briens sentiments...

Does anyone know what the police thing is about? Sounds very strange.

Jacknife

International Captain
Jesus didn't expect to this at all, very very sad news, I was only just reading an article of his a couple of hours ago. RIP.

This on the back of just loosing Graham Dilley.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ed Cowan will be doing it tough. According to the ABC comms, he was coached by Roebuck and considers him a mentor.

Be fitting if Ed was to kick on and play at the highest level.

howardj

International Coach
Really sad stuff.

Echo O'Briens sentiments...

Does anyone know what the police thing is about? Sounds very strange.
From reading the article, the police spoke to him at 10pm.

So perhaps it was in response to his distressed state, rather than the police visit being a trigger for the sad events thereafter.

Spikey

Ed Cowan will be doing it tough. According to the ABC comms, he was coached by Roebuck and considers him a mentor.

Be fitting if Ed was to kick on and play at the highest level.
I actually went onto Cowan's twitter soon after finding out expecting to see some nice words without realising Tassie are playing today, but I didn't know he was coached by him.

I know Roebuck pissed a lot of people off following the Monkeygate but I always looked forward to reading his articles because I was confident they'd be something in it for me, an big opinion, interesting anecdote etc.The fact he actually cared about cricket outside of one country always appealed to me too.

Fairfax certainly have lost an important person

Burgey

I actually went onto Cowan's twitter soon after finding out expecting to see some nice words without realising Tassie are playing today, but I didn't know he was coached by him.

I know Roebuck pissed a lot of people off following the Monkeygate but I always looked forward to reading his articles because I was confident they'd be something in it for me, an big opinion, interesting anecdote etc.The fact he actually cared about cricket outside of one country always appealed to me too.

Fairfax certainly have lost an important person
I'm going by what I heard on radio with the coaching thing mate. Sure it'll be confirmed or otherwise in due course.

HJ makes a good point about the police contact as well. No doubt we will hear more in time.