• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PCB Hands Out Bans - Discussion and Aftermath

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
What next for Pakistan? Shoaib Akhtar to be named captain?

Credit for the Pakistan board for making a stand. Pakistan cricket is a disgrace even with these top players playing. Many have said that the culture within the team is the one interference to Pakistan ever becoming a competitive nation again. Today may mark Day Zero in which the true culprits have been rooted out, a new culture is formed and the Pakistan board finally implementing a plan for the future of cricket within Pakistan.

Xuhaib

International Coach
well tbh in the90's India when consistently loosing the Pakistan side was a much stronger unit then India ,in 00's its been India who has always had a slightly advantage.

back on topicn just heard that PCB has taken a U turn on life ban:laugh:

Spark

Global Moderator
well tbh in the90's India when consistently loosing the Pakistan side was a much stronger unit then India ,in 00's its been India who has always had a slightly advantage.

back on topicn just heard that PCB has taken a U turn on life ban:laugh:
Wouldn't surprise me, but source?

ret

International Debutant
looking at PCB's history, by the time you make a comment on this issue, you get news of an U-turn .... Will wait and watch the comedy show :laugh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

Credit for the Pakistan board for making a stand. Pakistan cricket is a disgrace even with these top players playing. Many have said that the culture within the team is the one interference to Pakistan ever becoming a competitive nation again. Today may mark Day Zero in which the true culprits have been rooted out, a new culture is formed and the Pakistan board finally implementing a plan for the future of cricket within Pakistan.
Dont speak too soon my friend :)

Fusion

Global Moderator
I’m with Xuhaib on this one, I think the fines/bans are MOSTLY justified. As with anything involving PCB or Pakistan Cricket in general, nothing is absolutely clear and no action is completely justified. However, this was a long time coming. I can only hope that the PCB will have the balls to see this through, which is highly unlikely. Here are my thoughts on the various punishments handed out, assuming that what the players are accused of are true:

- Indefinite bans to Younis and Yousaf: I think they deserved a ban, but an “indefinite” one is perhaps too harsh. I would’ve preferred a one year ban to both to match Malik’s and Rana’s. Both of these guys have acted extremely selfishly and like spoiled brats. As senior players and Captains, they had added responsibility that they failed to live up to. Both have egos the size of Asia and quit at the first moment they face adversity or criticism. I sympathized with Younis when he was back-stabbed by the team, but his abandonment of the team while on a crucial tour is unforgivable IMO. Yousaf not only participated in Younis’ demise, but then proceeded to get into further infighting with Malik. Both deserved a ban.

- One year bans to Malik and Rana: Again, assuming that the rumors about them are true, this was just the right punishment. Malik has been accused of destabilizing the team and conspiring against every Captain since his removal from the post. I guess Rana is accused of the same. There are many reasons that Pakistan cricket consistently underperforms even with so much talent on hand, but I place this lack of unity and active sabotage from within at the top of the list.

- Fines and probation for Afridi: The biggest farce of the whole thing. This guys cheats (again) and all he gets is a fine? That’s a joke. He forever lost what little right Pakistan had to protest against cheating allegations with his act. In the future if someone accuses Pakistan of cheating, all they have to do is point to ball chomping Afridi as a clear precedent and justify their allegations. Afridi deserved a ban. I don’t know what the number of games should’ve been, but it was certainly greater than TWO that the ICC handed down.

- Fines and probation for the Akmal brothers: Another case where the punishment is not severe enough. Kamran openly defied the board’s decision and caused disharmony to the team by his actions. If Umer was feigning injury to support his brother, he is an even bigger douche and asshole. Both should’ve been banned for a year like Malik and Rana.

Lastly, I don’t absolve the PCB in the blame. They are the ones that have tolerated and even encouraged behavior that led us to where we are today. Their incompetence is unmatched in world cricket. I know that they have only taken these actions to save their ass and make it appear like they’re doing something. If Pakistani politics were not in play, all of the PCB heads would’ve been sacked. Anyway, I for one am hoping that these bans/fines hold up and it’s the end of selfish, reckless, and frankly immoral behavior from our cricketers.

Faisal1985

Razzaq's name is coming up for T20 WC captaincy.....also read somewhere that Misbah was in contention as well.

As far as the bans are concerned. IMO, it was the right thing to do. Why, because this player being above the game culture has to end.

Yousuf and Younis both may be the most experienced and best batsmen of Pakistan ATM but its true that both have been playing the seniority card too much...Younis as usual making a mockery of the captaincy and Yousuf is simply demanding captaincy because he is the "best" player ATM for Pakistan.

This stuff happened back in Imran's time, and other bigger names of Pakistan Cricket indulged in practices of basically owning the team, making selection decisions based on favoritism and same thing continued through out.

In my opinion Malik got away with only 1 year ban, to me he was the bigger culprit. May be Yousuf should have been given only a 1 year ban and Malik should have been handed the harsher ban.

Even if the punishments seem to be harsh, it is an important step in bringing some accountability in the team.

Even if the ban ends i don't think Rana, Malik, Younis will be selected anymore for the national team.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

And you are spot on. I hope it marks day zero and we get to see fresh faces in the team.

I am not going to say that we have a lot of talent at the domestic level, because we simply don't. But there are a number of guys who have the potential to become better and play international cricket.....

IMO, further to these bans, Farhat and Nazir should be also ignored for any further selection.

You simply don't open at Test level with an average of 26!

AaronK

State Regular
looking at PCB's history, by the time you make a comment on this issue, you get news of an U-turn .... Will wait and watch the comedy show :laugh:
I would have to agree on this.. We are already seeing some signs of it... this is a piece from cricinfo six hours later after declaring the ban on Yousuf and Younis...

Typically there was confusion and the board later appeared to climb down by clarifying that this was not the end of their careers. In a statement released at least six hours after the original release, the board said, "that the recommendation of the Committee is not a life ban on these cricketers. There is no specified term in the recommendation for these two players. As and when the PCB deems appropriate, these players will be considered for selection for the national team."

great god :laugh:

finally, I have come up with the conclusion that sarfraz nawaz is on crack or maybe mentally sick... take a look at this comment.. wtf lol

It's the end of players' power from our national team, which is a very good sign. From now on, every player will be very careful because they know that they can be fined or banned if they violate discipline. Younis and Yousuf had played their innings in international cricket as they have got too old, but Naved and Akmal should have also been banned for one year.

Sarfraz Nawaz, former fast bowler

Is he talking about some other navid? ummm last time i check Sarfarz saheb Navid was ban for a year.. lol

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
So annoyed I put in for Australia Pakistan test tickets in the ballot. What a waste of time that's going to be, I went for day 4.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Waqar Younis shocked at player punishments

How the hell is the incoming Coach of the team not informed in detail about such crucial decisions? I'm not saying that he should've had any say in it, but surely he has to be given details of why half his team is no longer available to him or on probation? Another reason why the PCB management also needs to be sacked, along with the banned players.

Matt79

Global Moderator
He's not informed presumably because he's been in Sydney - you'd think he'll get a briefly when he gets back to Pakistan. Although Waqar is well qualified to speak about issues relating to feuding/infighting in a team.

Jungle Jumbo

He's not informed presumably because he's been in Sydney - you'd think he'll get a briefly when he gets back to Pakistan. Although Waqar is well qualified to speak about issues relating to feuding/infighting in a team.
I'm sure being in Sydney wouldn't be too much of a barrier to being informed of the proceedings though.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Younis gaining a lot of support from former players.Many of them feel he was hard done by since he was just reacting to the constant back stabbing that was being contrived against him by several players.

Faisal1985

Yes but the way he left and then never showed was also a problem. He should have stayed in the system as the captain to fix it. You don't run away and make a mockery of yourself and the whole team like he did.