• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan cricketers racially abused in New Zealand

Sir Alex

Banned
The visiting Pakistani cricketers were subjected to racial abuse during the third Test against New Zealand in Napier but the team manager has ruled out lodging a formal protest about the episode.

According to a report in The Dominion Post, racist remarks were hurled at the Pakistani cricketers on Saturday from the corporate box at McLean Park hired by National MP Chris Tremain's brother Mark and his 17 friends.

The report quoted a spectator as saying that he felt embarrassed by the "drunken stupidity" of the group which abused the visiting cricketers, calling them "Pakistani terrorists".

The incident prompted the authorities to display a "no racist comments please" sign near the scoreboard in the afternoon.

Mark Tremain, meanwhile, denied being abusive towards the Pakistani cricketers.

"We were yelling out, but not abusively," he said.

Asked if it was racist, he said, "That's not my understanding, but anyone can take anything any way."

Mark conceded he and his friends were first asked to stay quiet and then were politely told to leave the place.

Conceding that he may never be allowed to hire the box again, Mark sought to put a lid on the episode and said, "I apologise to anyone who was upset."

Meanwhile his MP brother Chris did not approve of the incident and said, "Clearly what happened is unacceptable."

Pakistan manager Abdul Raqeeb, however, downplayed the incident and said the team has not filed any complaint.

"One or two of the players heard something raucous from over the far side, but they could not decide what was being said and just brushed it off," he said.

NZ Cricket public affairs manager Stephen Hill said NZC staff were prompt to tackle the issue and ensured it never went out of control.

"Our security staff were on the ball and they took steps to resolve the situation, and got them to modify their comments," Hill said.

Pakistan cricketers racially abused in New Zealand: Rediff Sports
:unsure:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Question for the Pakistani folk- how offensive would you find the term "Pakistani terrorist?"

I get called a terrorist all the time in England and think nothing of it. But maybe it's different because I know no one here genuinely thinks all Irish people are terrorists, whereas there's doubtless more than a few fools who feel that way about all Pakistani people.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Storm in a teacup according to Pakistan manager as above, and the Federation of Islamic Associations in NZ president Anwar-ul Ghani said he was not concerned.

"When people have had a bit too much [to drink] you can't take them seriously.

"We would ask people to ignore those behaviours and get on with it. Sport is there to be enjoyed, not to divide people."

Different story if it's mob mentality crowd shouts or whatever, but in this case just a few yobbos who were dealt with by the sounds of things.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Question for the Pakistani folk- how offensive would you find the term "Pakistani terrorist?"

I get called a terrorist all the time in England and think nothing of it. But maybe it's different because I know no one here genuinely thinks all Irish people are terrorists, whereas there's doubtless more than a few fools who feel that way about all Pakistani people.
Depends really. If its a bunch of friends and acquaintances I joke around with, its no big deal. Quite often I'm the worst of the lot. :p

Of course as charged as the situation usually is when something like that is thrown around by certain people, you can bet I'm throwing hands without actually wanting to.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Seems the situation was handled properly. Before anything escalated, they were asked to leave the stadium. In addition, the main person accused also apologized. Kudos to all for taking care of it.

I'll echo NP, it depends on who's saying it. My friends and I have light hearted banter and they call me a terrorist while I’ll call them rednecks or a hillbilly. We know each other and hence realize that no malice is intended. If however a stranger calls me that, it would lead to a tense situation to say the least.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Depends really. If its a bunch of friends and acquaintances I joke around with, its no big deal. Quite often I'm the worst of the lot. :p

Of course as charged as the situation usually is when something like that is thrown around by certain people, you can bet I'm throwing hands without actually wanting to.
NP10 clearly a sleeper agent.....
:ph34r:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Those type of people shouldn't be taken seriously, and thankfully it looks liek they haven't been.

1/10 at precams stir attempt.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
NZ Cricket did well there. Good stuff :)

Disagree slightly with the statement that you can't take people seriously when they're drunk. If an individual is drunk and saying racist or offensive remarks, to an extent its their 'true thoughts' coming out rather than staying hidden.

Xuhaib

International Coach

Yeah few of my friends called me a terrorist during my uni days but that was just lite banter so never took it seriously however if a random guy walking on the street comes up and calls me a terrorist then I guess the situation would be different.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Disagree slightly with the statement that you can't take people seriously when they're drunk. If an individual is drunk and saying racist or offensive remarks, to an extent its their 'true thoughts' coming out rather than staying hidden.
Completely AWTA..

Matt79

Global Moderator

Completely AWTA..
Actually disagree that this is always the case. Sometimes in vino veritas is the case, and there are definitely some racist ****s out there who feel a bit braver when in a mob and suitably lagered up. But other times the judgement/inhibition reducing affects of booze make people say stupid things that they do not actually believe, either out of an attempt to be funny or hurtful. That effect is particularly amplified when applied to a guy in front of a crowd of his mates.

To take another example, last time India were out here, I was joined in the row behind me after the tea break by a drunken moron who proceeded to hurl abuse at Ganguly who was down near the fence. His witty, and repeated, remark was that he had enjoyed conjugal relations with Ganguly's mother the night before in exchange for a lower than expected cash payment (expressed more bluntly). Horrible behaviour and after a couple of people told him to shut up and he was getting annoyed, a security guy actually came and asked him to leave. The purpose of relating that unsavoury event - do you think that in this case the intoxicated man was revealing his true thoughts that Ganguly's mum was a prostitute, or do you think he was trying to be a 'big man' in front of the crowd by breaching the taboo of insulting a family member, and be hurtful to Ganguly by saying the most hurtful thing he could think of? I'd go for the later.

In the case of the Pakistani players, calling them 'terrorists' is a pretty obvious slur to throw that people behaving stupidly because they can't handle their intoxication will feel makes them appear 'clever' or 'daring' because it is a taboo.

A bit long-winded, but essentially to say that I'd say that drunks hurling racial abuse might be trying to be deliberately obnoxious rather than expressing their 'honest' opinion. The statement "you can't take what drunk people say seriously" would be more accurate if a qualifier like "you can't ALWAYS take what drunk people say seriously" were to be inserted.

Should add as well that either way, its deeply unacceptable behaviour and life bans from venues should result for people who behave this way for whatever reason.