• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan cricketers racially abused in New Zealand

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disagree slightly with the statement that you can't take people seriously when they're drunk. If an individual is drunk and saying racist or offensive remarks, to an extent its their 'true thoughts' coming out rather than staying hidden.
Very true.

I hope those responsible are appropriately punished. I'm a bit disappointed that a small number of idiots slightly marred what was otherwise a series played in fantastic spirit. But it sounds like it's been well handled.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't buy that drunkenness causes you to say things you really believe, but I don't buy that it's any sort of excuse either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agree with the striker of the silent variety, and with He Of The Birth In '79 as well. What the latter mentioned about deliberately trying to pick something you know will cause maximum impact rather than something you actually believe (regardless of being drunk or not) is also exactly what I've always thought in regards to HarbhajanSymondsGate.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hmm, I think you guys are making a hard and fast rule though where it obviously varies

I think its undeniable in many contexts (not just in large crowds) where someone drunk will let something slip he wasn't supposed to say.

If someone I don't know too well, but is a friend of a friend, says something utterly racist after a few drinks, I will not assume its the beer talking, I'd assume at first he means it. I then would have to see other evidence to assume that its the alcohol and not his true thoughts. The benefit of the doubt doesn't lie with the intoxicated person, it lies with the behaviour.

Either way don't think we're arguing over something major.

bagapath

International Captain
I get called a terrorist all the time in England and think nothing of it. But maybe it's different because I know no one here genuinely thinks all Irish people are terrorists, whereas there's doubtless more than a few fools who feel that way about all Pakistani people.
are u irish, uppercut? for some reason I i always thought you were a pakistani.

i think every pakistani has a right to feel offended at such taunts. of course, such cheap acts say more about the person who hurls the abuse (abuser) than the one getting abused (abusee?)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hmm, I think you guys are making a hard and fast rule though where it obviously varies
Actually, you're the one saying that you as a rule presume it to be one way, whereas I thought I was pretty clear in saying that I thought it was something that could be either one thing or the other, ie. you can't make a hard and fast rule about it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
are u irish, uppercut? for some reason I i always thought you were a pakistani.

i think every pakistani has a right to feel offended at such taunts. of course, such cheap acts say more about the person who hurls the abuse (abuser) than the one getting abused (abusee?)
Haha really? Where did that come from?

Obviously have never read any of my thoughts on religion in OT :p