• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pace bowlers with shortest run ups

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Winston Benjamin used to bowl the odd ball off what I remember being a few yards and got it through at a surprising pace.

Shahid Afridi?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

Best I could find that shows his run-up. Barely past the umpire (from about 30 seconds in)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
*snip*

Best I could find that shows his run-up. Barely past the umpire (from about 30 seconds in)
For those unfamiliar with Coyte, he generates close to 140 clicks off those couple of steps.

Marlon Samuels probably worth a semi-serious mention too if we ignore the fact that he's a chucker. His quicker ball was seriously medium-fast.

the big bambino

International Captain
When Harmison 1st toured Australia he had trouble with his rhythm and direction that persisted throughout the summer. In an effort to overcome the problems with his run up he reduced it, at least once, to a few steps from which he bowled at speeds in the low 140s.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Wasn't expecting so many examples, some are genuinely quick out of the mentioned names. Scott Coyte was a big surprise, I wonder how the batsmen who face him for the first time would be surprised by his pace. I came up with the thread because I myself tried to bowl from 4-5 paces(coz I have had issues with my longer run up), I could bowl with a better accuracy and was able to bowl my bouncer really well. The best thing was that my pace remained the same. So I just wanted to study a bit more about other bowlers who have successfully bowled with a shorter run up.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Mitchell Johnson's run-up isn't particularly short, but he hardly puts any actual pace into it. It's more like a waddle.

the big bambino

International Captain
I was reading about the 46/47 ashes and by a series of links eventually to a 1937 newspaper article by Arthur Mailey about fast bowler Ginty Lush. Mailey was discussing Lush's chances for test selection after some recent good form. As an aside he spoke about Bill Copson, the Derbyshire seamer, of whom he wrote that he came off a short run and bowled with surprising speed that often defeated the batsmen.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sylvers didn't have a long run up but from what I've read I'd suggest the shortest was probably Eddie Gilbert who just shuffled in for a few paces before knocking Bradman's bat out of his hand
4 yards, according to the CW Cricket Book of the Decade .

adub

International Captain

I captained him in his first year of seniors when he was 14. Played mostly as a keeper but bowled leggies when I had the gloves on. Had a longer run up bowling those.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Craig White was 90mph+ off about half a dozen ambled steps.
Agreed. There was always debate about who was quicker on a good day- White or Gough? I am not sure I know the answer but I know that one had to put a lot more effort in than the other in their runup.