• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympics - does anyone actually care anymore?

Meridio

International Regular
NZ not having a great start to these Olympics. The women's sevens (where admittedly Aus were favourites), now men's sevens, the equestrian team were in the gold medal position and would have taken it if Mark Todd had gone clear/hit one rail, but he hit four and we slipped to 4th. Last night the women's hockey had a shocker vs Germany, this afternoon the men repeated that vs Spain (2-2 with 1 minute to play and a Spanish player in the bin, we win a penalty corner, don't convert it, get a player of our own sinbinned and Spain run down our end and score). There was a bit of chat in the media about how this was going to be our best ever Olympics and while it's still early days, and our rowers etc are still to have their finals, we've been underwhelming so far.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ not having a great start to these Olympics. The women's sevens (where admittedly Aus were favourites), now men's sevens, the equestrian team were in the gold medal position and would have taken it if Mark Todd had gone clear/hit one rail, but he hit four and we slipped to 4th. Last night the women's hockey had a shocker vs Germany, this afternoon the men repeated that vs Spain (2-2 with 1 minute to play and a Spanish player in the bin, we win a penalty corner, don't convert it, get a player of our own sinbinned and Spain run down our end and score). There was a bit of chat in the media about how this was going to be our best ever Olympics and while it's still early days, and our rowers etc are still to have their finals, we've been underwhelming so far.
You'll be right with the rowing. Kiwis generally do their best work sitting down, going backwards.

Zinzan

We've certainly missed some opportunities with the women's 7s and the equestrian, but as you said, we were never favourites for those events leading into the games. I was reading a site that predicted medals based on rankings before the games started and IIRC they had NZ winning at 7-8 golds, and I believe all of those events we're still a chance.

Re: the mens 7s, I read we lost to Japan, but we're still in contention aren't we? Allbeit with a couple of injuries.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
We've certainly missed some opportunities with the women's 7s and the equestrian, but as you said, we were never favourites for those events leading into the games. I was reading a site that predicted medals based on rankings before the games started and IIRC they had NZ winning at 7-8 golds, and I believe all of those events we're still a chance.

Re: the mens 7s, I read we lost to Japan, but we're still in contention aren't we? Allbeit with a couple of injuries.
Have to beat GBR to make it out of the group, which isn't a great position to be in. We'll also then have a hard road through to the medals. To be fair Japan seem pretty good. Came within a bee's dick of drawing with GBR themselves.

One of our top rowing crews (Women's 2X) have already dropped out despite being the reigning world champs. And Lauren Boyle, who looked a strong chance to medal in both the 400m and 800m freestyle a couple months ago didn't even qualify for the 400m final earlier this week. Early days, but this is starting to feel like one of those games that leads to a mountain of moron's on talkback complaining for weeks about how teachers and parents are leading our youngsters to be too soft.

_Ed_

The 800 is Boyle's best event. She's bloody unlucky to be around at the same time as the phenomenal Ledecky, who will win that too, but she's the favourite to get silver. That would be really well deserved, not to mention our first swimming medal for ages.

Plus we've still got Bond/Murray (unbeaten since 2009), Valerie Adams, Lisa Carrington, Linda Villumsen, sailors, etc. I still think we'll do pretty well.

Burgey

Michael Phelps still seems to care. Gold medals 20 and 21 for him this evening.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
At least we managed a couple of silvers in the pool. But no more golds...slipping down the table each day ..:ph34r:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
For all the bacteria and zika scare stories I've not heard of very many athletes withdrawing from competition with flu-like complaints yet.

(I know zika has a really long incubation time)

flibbertyjibber

Michael Phelps still seems to care. Gold medals 20 and 21 for him this evening.
My kids stayed up till 4am just to watch him. Got upset when I sent them to bed before the medal ceremonies. I wanted to go myself so tough.

Our swimmers have done well, don't normally get this amount of medals.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
For all the bacteria and zika scare stories I've not heard of very many athletes withdrawing from competition with flu-like complaints yet.

Was that not more about visitors than the athletes themselves? The concern was Zika spreading into other 3rd world countries that could not cope?

Meridio

International Regular

Wonder of the rowers who capsized will come down with anything.