• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympics - does anyone actually care anymore?

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Swimming is not boring, may not be your thing though. Handball and weightlifting are boring in my view but each to their own.
Agreed, handball is boring. I think weightlifting is ok without being great. Swimming would be interesting if it was just freestyle I feel. The other strokes bore the bejeezus out of me.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Was dubious a few days ago as to whether I would be into this Games or not, a couple of days in I clearly am. Staying up till 4 am just to watch swimming shows that. Peaty and Ledecky were brilliant and how great was Phelps in the relay?

No idea if GB has any other realistic medal chances in the pool but as always I am hooked. The hockey has been good too with our women beating the Crime. As for the tennis, wow. Can't wait for the track cycling to start now.
The medley relay seems an obvious one, what with Peaty possibly putting 2 seconds into everyone on the breaststroke leg.

The redemption story of Phelps is sickening though.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The medley relay seems an obvious one, what with Peaty possibly putting 2 seconds into everyone on the breaststroke leg.
Yeah but our best backstroke fella didn't even make the final so they need a couple of really good guys in the other legs to stay in it.

ripper868

International Coach
Think the GB7's girls have a genuine shot of upsetting the Kiwis. Hoping Australia gets past Canada, whatever happens the final will be epic.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Think the GB7's girls have a genuine shot of upsetting the Kiwis. Hoping Australia gets past Canada, whatever happens the final will be epic.
Yes, me too.. This has been great,though I didn't think I would like it..I actually do lol :)

flibbertyjibber

I completely agree. The value of medals is not the same. Winning a synch swimming gold, or any swimming gold for that matter does not compare to wining the 100m sprint, that's for sure.
Having enough money to buy the best dancing horse is the one that gets me, we had it last time and the same pair are back again so may well win again.

ripper868

International Coach
So I was wrong about the GB 7s. Kiwis look big fast and strong. Australia going to have to play super smart to beat them, specially since the final is 10 minutes a half

Burgey

Felt sorry for that Kiwi girl who got sin binned in the final. She had to go, no doubt, but it's a heartbreaker. She should take some solace from the fact that Australia only scored once while she was off the field, and if she hadn't done the knockdown when she did they would have scored anyway.

Was a fine game of footy. Sevens (and indeed Nines in league) is so good to watch.

ripper868

International Coach
We actually scored twice. Once when she was off and then Again after half time. The ball stayed in play for about 4 minutes so she never got back on, was off about 5 minutes in total which cooked the kiwis. Felt horrible when she dropped the kick off cold as well.

That said, great tournament and great win for the best team, hopefully sees a new wave of people into the sport. Charlotte Caslick is just on another level, the 7's equivalent of a Christian Cullen/Stephen Larkham.

Mens tournament will be ace, at least 8 of the teams are genuine medal threats.

Burgey

Seebohm and Larkin plainly up all night doing the rumpy pumpy. Very disappointing.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Shame about GB's men's gymnastic team..they had a chance of a medal. Japan far the stronger team.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yup handball is good but the administration of the sport makes cricket seem competent. Referees and rules changing on a whim