• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympics - does anyone actually care anymore?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Growing up, the Olympics were massive and much of the world would be glued to their televisions for the duration

This year's doesnt have anything like that feeling and, at best, is just another sporting event to me and to others that I have spoken to

I'm not sure whether it's due to the increased exposure that athletes get these days, me being jaded with doping, commercialization, corruption or whatever but it's all a bit meh as far as I'm concerned

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have to agree. It's basically been downhill for the Olympic movement since the greatest of all games in Sydney in 2000. Just been a turgid slippery slope of mediocrity ever since really.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The IOC coppingout when they should have banned Russia is a joke.

By and large it's a whole host of sports I largely don't give a **** about.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The Olympics peaked in 2008 when we saw the great man win a gold medal. The man who is lighting quick, and brings audiences to the stadiums. Probably the greatest of all time in his chosen field.

_Ed_

I still think the Olympics are pretty great, tbh. Don't agree with the decision to include golf (or some of the bizarre ones they're introducing next time), but still really looking forward to it.

Burgey

The Olympics peaked in 2008 when we saw the great man win a gold medal. The man who is lighting quick, and brings audiences to the stadiums. Probably the greatest of all time in his chosen field.

Speaking of juiced up athletes.

Nadal, the juiced-up Lleyton Hewitt who set tennis back three decades with boring baseline play.

Decent forehand though.

Spikey

at it's simplest, athletes competing in their choose sports, I'm still into it. but i'm over the baggage, the IOC & the nationalism

the big bambino

International Captain
The desire to win has become completely divorced from the honour of competing. The games have broken trust with the public whom expect a fair and honest contest. So personally I can't support an event I perceive as corrupt.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The desire to win has become completely divorced from the honour of competing. The games have broken trust with the public whom expect a fair and honest contest. So personally I can't support an event I perceive as corrupt.
**** was way worse in the 80s and 90s though

grecian

I loved 2012, just don't care at all this time for obvious reasons. Will try to catch the Athletics, but can't see me watching anything else really.

grecian

Indeed, but it's the same ol problem of everything nowadays, we've just been saturated with cynicism, we liked to believe things weren't ghastly then, now we seem to want to believe the opposite. I think this race probably has a lot to do with the cynicism, The thing is in the aftermath of that race, we all said well the one bad egg, was found out and good won in the end, but it seems we were probably wrong.

Oh and with all the fuss about the Russians, Justin Gatlin will still be featuring. US athletes seem to get away with stuff others don't.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
True. I suppose I had some hope the cheating could be reformed after the East European revelations came out and doping protocols enacted. Over time its become clear that hasn't happened and the cheats and the corrupt have won. Its basically become a cesspool. Feel sorry for the athletes in events where the Olympics is the pinnacle and those who are clean. The most effective way to reform, imo, is to boycott the games coverage. Hopefully enough disillusioned people will turn off and effect revenues somehow. Hopefully (and yes I can understand if you think it delusional) that will force a change. I don't think the answer is more and better anti doping measures. The change will have to be in the participant's character. The culture will have to change.

(Turns blue, then green holding breath).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed, but it's the same ol problem of everything nowadays, we've just been saturated with cynicism, we liked to believe things weren't ghastly then, now we seem to want to believe the opposite. I think this race probably has a lot to do with the cynicism, The thing is in the aftermath of that race, we all said well the one bad egg, was found out and good won in the end, but it seems we were probably wrong.

Oh and with all the fuss about the Russians, Justin Gatlin will still be featuring. US athletes seem to get away with stuff others don't.
oh i didn't know carl lewis was also doped up, very disappointing, was a huge fan growing up...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
This really isn't the time for ideological purity in sports. And I'm happy throwing one bone to the Putin boys if it keeps them quiet about all the other stuff that's going on in the world.

Oh and on the inconsistencies....well see my sig.

cpr

International Coach

(deleted pic of ugly bloke)

Remind us who's going out there to defend their gold?

Unlike the rest of you miserable ****s, I'm really looking forward to it. The hypes taking a bit longer to kick in as it's not on the doorstep this time, and there's been little in the way of build up in the news - more Zika worrys etc.

Still, when it starts I'm going to love it