• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympics - does anyone actually care anymore?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It doesn’t matter too much in football, but the idea of Olympic Medalists similarly picking up their own medals out of a pot makes it lose a bit of something.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh cool I see an "anti-*** cardboard beds" story has been picked up despite being grossly exaggerated. Can't wait for more of these WeIrD JaPaN stories over the next month.

stephen

Would it honestly be too hard to give every athlete and official the vaccine before the games start?

RossTaylorsBox

Yeah for a couple of weeks I think. Still doesn't tell you exactly how far along or infectious you are unless you're symptomatic though.

duffer

Yeah for a couple of weeks I think. Still doesn't tell you exactly how far along or infectious you are unless you're symptomatic though.
You get ct values on rt pcr tests. Said to tell you the rate in which the virus is replicating

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, I assume the reason it is so trustworthy is that you cant get a false negative and that means a lot when you are talking about such a transmissble virus.

stephen

Brisbane 2032, apparently...
We got it mostly because we've already built 80% of the infrastructure. After the debacle that was Beijing 2016 I don't think the IOC is particularly interested in playing it in places that need to build all of the infrastructure.

The best news from a cricket perspective is that the Gabba is getting a massive renovation to accommodate the opening and closing ceremonies and athletic events.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The best news from a cricket perspective is that the Gabba is getting a massive renovation to accommodate the opening and closing ceremonies and athletic events.
All countries to send their D team there imo

Burgey

John Coates doing his bit to basically confirm what everyone suspects about anyone involved in the IOC always being a massive ****.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I'm actually kind of bummed that this is going to be ****. Despite being absolutely neck-deep in corruption and other problems, still have more than a soft spot for the Olympics.
hugely agree with this tbh. the institution of the olympics and the corporate governing bodies are scumtastic to the core but keeping them disjunct from all the athletes, sports, and excitement that we're going to see and i'm always on board

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Being old enough to be regarded as a "Grumpy Old Man", I'm going to indulge in my usual rant when it comes to the Olympics.

The Olympic motto "Citius, Altius, Fortius" (Faster, Higher, Stronger) has, for too long, been sullied by the inclusion of sports that are judged purely on subjective observations. I can live with Gymnastics ... but not the Rhythmic version with pre-pubescent young things prancing around with ribbons, hoops and balls.
Diving seems often to be judged on where you are from/who you are rather than purely on actual performance.
Synchronised swimming? What a joke!
And now we add skateboarding and surfing to the events to be judged. At least rock climbing can be a race.

Continuing my usual gripe, why are tennis and golf included? Surely these sports have their Majors.
And what about football? FIFA have restricted participation of elite players in the men's tournament in various ways. Currently squads for the men's tournament are required to be composed of players under 23 years of age, with three permitted exceptions. If it's good enough for one sport to have restrictions, why not apply it to others such as basketball.

Finally, the media's fascination with medal tallies annoys me. How can you compare numbers of medals when, in some sports, competitors can walk away with a swag of medals (swimming, gymnastics for example) whilst an elite in, say, athletics might only have a couple of events plus, if they're lucky, a relay in which to compete.

I feel better now. :p

Daemon

I don’t mind the expansion. It means those sports have a better chance of being funded back home.