• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympics - does anyone actually care anymore?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don’t mind the expansion. It means those sports have a better chance of being funded back home.
Yeah I agree.

This is a bit of a sore spot for me. When we hosted the Olympics our sports funding model was completely overhauled because the government wanted to win as many medals as possible. Money was taken out of recreational and mass participation sports and poured into elite "academies" and the like. Thousands of pitches were shut, leisure centres were closed or privatised, and the number of people playing sports regularly plummeted, especially in poorer communities. The worst hit sports were minority activities with few Olympic medal opportunities. UK basketball was stripped dry and the money was given to the top 0.01% of cyclists. Given what's since come out we can probably assume that they used it to hire, uh, Pharmaceutical Gurus.

I know it's not really the Olympics' fault that governments will cynically exploit their medal structure for propaganda purposes, but it is always going to happen, so they could at least make it as inclusive as possible. If there can be 37 swimming events and 22 cycling events, there can be one skateboarding event.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I agree.

This is a bit of a sore spot for me. When we hosted the Olympics our sports funding model was completely overhauled because the government wanted to win as many medals as possible. Money was taken out of recreational and mass participation sports and poured into elite "academies" and the like. Thousands of pitches were shut, leisure centres were closed or privatised, and the number of people playing sports regularly plummeted, especially in poorer communities. The worst hit sports were minority activities with few Olympic medal opportunities. UK basketball was stripped dry and the money was given to the top 0.01% of cyclists. Given what's since come out we can probably assume that they used it to hire, uh, Pharmaceutical Gurus.

I know it's not really the Olympics' fault that governments will cynically exploit their medal structure for propaganda purposes, but it is always going to happen, so they could at least make it as inclusive as possible. If there can be 37 swimming events and 22 cycling events, there can be one skateboarding event.
I take your very valid point regarding funding. It's a pity we can't avoid the politics involved with sport.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Yeah I agree.

yknow to this point i've been an olympics gatekeeper with the sports but this is an incredibly well-put argument and you've shifted me

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Did anyone else not watch a single second of any event? It was more down to timing than deliberately avoiding it, and it seemed to come and go very quickly.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Did anyone else not watch a single second of any event? It was more down to timing than deliberately avoiding it, and it seemed to come and go very quickly.
Now that crowds are back watching football, it's suddenly hard for me to give a **** about sporting events being played in front of empty stadia. Particularly when it's dubious as to whether the event should have been held in the first place.

For the same reasons, I didn't watch any of the Lions series either.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Sharon Davies is hoping to get a Gold Medal from 1980 as a result of an inquiry into the East German systematic doping programme. It's not like them having no breasts and displaying a moustache wasn't a major clue at the time.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
BTW. The Winter Olympics leave me cold (no pun intended). Several countries are boycotting these games by not sending diplomats and officials while the USA, and I believe others, aren't sending any athletes. I see a parallel with the 1936 Berlin Olympic games.

_Ed_

Surprised to see Boxing gone
Yeah, both of those are a bit unexpected (not that I really watch much of either of them). Skateboarding was obviously a hit in Tokyo, but I would have thought there'd be other sports that could have made way ahead of boxing and weightlifting.

flibbertyjibber

Take Boxing and Modern Pentathlon to stop GB as we do well in them.

Or is it USA stopping Cuba doing anything at their Olympics?

Shady Slim

International Coach
BTW. The Winter Olympics leave me cold (no pun intended). Several countries are boycotting these games by not sending diplomats and officials while the USA, and I believe others, aren't sending any athletes. I see a parallel with the 1936 Berlin Olympic games.
except here most of the boycotting countries have no moral leg to stand on here and the comparison between modern china and nazi germany is to my mind very inappropriate imho (not aimed at u specifically, all across the internet i have seen it being drawn

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
except here most of the boycotting countries have no moral leg to stand on here and the comparison between modern china and nazi germany is to my mind very inappropriate imho (not aimed at u specifically, all across the internet i have seen it being drawn
Yeah they aren’t both genocidal regimes with aims of global superiority. Oh wait

Shady Slim

International Coach
i stress that this very week the australian government went in to bat for apartheid, so let us not pretend there is any pretence of good faith in those boycotts