• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympics - does anyone actually care anymore?

Meridio

International Regular
Yeah, get absolutely ****ed, how the hell do you lose from 2-0 up with 4 minutes to play? Unbelievable. Obviously the ball moves very quickly in hockey, so a lot can happen in a minute, but two goals with 45 seconds left on the clock? FMD. It's a definite habit of our hockey teams, I think that's about the fifth time the men have been knocked out of a tournament in the last 10 years to a last-minute goal, and the women have done it on a few occasions too.

The women have just started vs Aus; we're 1-0 up after the first quarter but look dodgy as **** at the back. I predict an Australian win with 0.3 seconds left on the clock.

Meridio

International Regular
Well well, what do you know, pretty comfortable 4-2 victory in the end. Probably could have put another goal away too. Either GB or Spain in the semi for us; I'd give GB about a 75% chance of taking that but either way it's a very winnable semi final. GB are in good form but are a clear level below the likes of the Dutch, and in recent years we've beaten them as much as they've beaten us. Just hope we don't have our patented once-a-tournament **** performance.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Valegro's part owner Carl Hester on BBC One: "He has a brain like a human. You just feel like you press his buttons and he gets on with his job.

"He makes everything look so smooth. Charlotte is amazing – the way she sits on a horse, the way she can communicate with the horse.

"I have never cried watching dressage but I cried today. This horse has done more for the world of dressage and British dressage. If she feels she has achieved all she can I would more be happy to say to her let him go out into a field and enjoy his days.
Only problem I have with dressage is that the horse doesn't get any medals. Sounds like they do all the blinkin work.

He has a brain like a human. You just feel like you press his buttons and he gets on with his job.
Also this was funny I when I didn't know it was about a horse. Assumed it was a sprinter

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cavendish is the marmite of the cycling team. Glad we got the medal but had he been thrown out I wouldn't have moaned.

Trott looked very impressive tonight.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Well well, what do you know, pretty comfortable 4-2 victory in the end. Probably could have put another goal away too. Either GB or Spain in the semi for us; I'd give GB about a 75% chance of taking that but either way it's a very winnable semi final. GB are in good form but are a clear level below the likes of the Dutch, and in recent years we've beaten them as much as they've beaten us. Just hope we don't have our patented once-a-tournament **** performance.
Yeah it's very pleasing. It would've been very easy for the girls to have let last nights result get in their heads (I heard a report saying they didn't get to sleep until very late because of how stunned they were), but from the sounds of things they produced a professional and composed performance under pressure. Here's hoping that continues in the semi.

Burgey

The ABC website's "Who's our next gold medal chance?" section has proven nothing but a cruel joke. There's usually some random who pops up for us in a field event to secure a silver or bronze but I can't even see that happening.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The ABC website's "Who's our next gold medal chance?" section has proven nothing but a cruel joke. There's usually some random who pops up for us in a field event to secure a silver or bronze but I can't even see that happening.
Starceh!!!!

Basketballers should be in with a chances at medals and maybe a sailor but unless someone random comes up, it'll be a dry old week

Zinzan

I know she's not quite over yet, but raises a good question, which team has performed further below expectations this games (thus far) , Australia or New Zealand?

Certainly if the various "pre-games medal prediction models" are anything to go by, they've both been wayyy below expectations with most of the models predicting NZ would have their best games ever winning between 7-10 golds and between 17-24 overall medals, while predicting Aust to win between 9-21 golds and between 39-50 overall medals.

Here's Sports Illustrated's model, which predicted across every single event, picking Aust to win 20 golds and NZ 8 Olympic predictions: Picking every medal of Rio 2016 | SI.com & here's a more generic one showing a number of different models. http://www.topendsports.com/events/summer/medal-tally/predicted-2016.htm

Last edited:

_Ed_

Just got around to watching Carrington's heat and semi-final - so good. She looks really strong at the moment and is even starting well now. Hard to beat in the final, surely.

Zinzan

According to that Sports Illustrated link, Carrington was predicted to win both the 200 & 500. Is she still on for both events?