• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympics - does anyone actually care anymore?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought Mark Richardson made an uncharacteristically good point on CGW yesterday when pointing out that in spite of the fact we've (NZ) have been on the receiving end of some pretty heart-wrenching losses at the last hurdle this games such as the Men's Hockey, or the amazing US woman's final shot-put, that objectively-speaking they have been some of the most amazing moments you could wish to see for a pure sports lover.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
According to that Sports Illustrated link, Carrington was predicted to win both the 200 & 500. Is she still on for both events?
Yep, but I think she's more likely to get a silver in the 500. She's inspires Murray and Bond levels of confidence in the 200 though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ugh, can't remember her name, but she was the 2012 gold medallist and just beat Carrington in a World Cup earlier this year.

Edit: Danuta Kozak. She spent a couple years in the team boats, which freed up the K500 for Carrington at the 2015 World Champs. But now she's back racing solo, so she's gotta be the favourite.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Righto cheers, let's hope Carrington wins her 200 allowing her to enter the 500 a little more relaxed than her counterpart.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know she's not quite over yet, but raises a good question, which team has performed further below expectations this games (thus far) , Australia or New Zealand?

Certainly if the various "pre-games medal prediction models" are anything to go by, they've both been wayyy below expectations with most of the models predicting NZ would have their best games ever winning between 7-10 golds and between 17-24 overall medals, while predicting Aust to win between 9-21 golds and between 39-50 overall medals.

Here's Sports Illustrated's model, which predicted across every single event, picking Aust to win 20 golds and NZ 8 Olympic predictions: Picking every medal of Rio 2016 | SI.com & here's a more generic one showing a number of different models. Predicted Olympic Medal Tally 2016
Dont know enough about NZ Olympic hopes but there is little doubt that many OZ coaches & administrators will be looking over their shoulders

King Pietersen

International Captain
That Pole Vault final was awesome. The Brazilian fans are ridiculously passionate when it comes to supporting their fellow own. We've seen it in MMA over the last 5 or so years, and now we're seeing it in Athletics. Da Silva is now a superstar in Brazil. Great stuff.

Zinzan

All class Lisa Carrington, not the greatest start ever, but came home with an extra gear none of the other ladies could match.

flibbertyjibber

If Poort wins this 10km swim then it is one of the best swims I will have ever seen. Went for it early and that huge gap is still there.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
That Opals game was a joke. One of the biggest choke jobs I've seen in a while. Cambage is a hell of a player but she did nothing but whinge like a baby all game, doing a Demarcus Cousins impression.

vcs

Was watching some old videos of Sergey Bubka. One of my childhood heroes. Used to cut out and keep the newspaper clippings whenever he'd break his own records, which he did numerous times.

My first Olympics was Seoul 1988, now we know that they were running systematic doping programs, but I really miss all the athletes from the Communist countries being awesome.