• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Yorkshire CCC racism crisis thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The thing is, even a bad person should not be discriminated against based on his race. This basic fact will of course get lost in all this now. The poor guy really put his regular life on the line to bring the institutional racism to national consciousness. I hope it bears some fruit for him and for the entire system.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The thing is, even a bad person should not be discriminated against based on his race. This basic fact will of course get lost in all this now. The poor guy really put his regular life on the line to bring the institutional racism to national consciousness. I hope it bears some fruit for him and for the entire system.
I agree with all of this tbh, but he can now probably jag a spot in the creepy/ ***ually ****ed up XI with Paine et al now

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Right now this is the equivalent of John Wayne Gacy going before committee and testifying about how asbestos in his basement ruined his life.

Fusion

Global Moderator
What's the coverage of the Azeem case been like over in the U.S? I know that it's Been highly publicized in the U.K and cricket communities but unaware of how the mainstream media in the U.S have portrayed it, think it's fairly unlikely that J.P had more than half a clue about what was going on with the whole debacle.
Yeah there's been zero coverage of it in the US. Spark described US attitude towards international issues about as accurately as one can tbh.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
They're digging into Azeem's past. He's apparently ***ted a 16 year old old 5-6 years ago when he was 25. Also from a publication that has run attack articles on him for quite some time.
Our world is truly ****ed.

Guy bravely speaks up against institutional racism, and he ends up copping as many bullets if not more in the media than the people being accused. **** me, even if you think 25 and 16 (baring in mind she said 17) is morally bad, the texts were hardly Tim Paine level. Not even in the same stratosphere. Yet the articles get the same type of headline as someone (allegedly) naming their black dog Kevin, throwing bananas at another black player etc?

Wonder what the next person who feels victimised will do? Oh yeah, they'll shut the **** up. Nice one, white media who would much rather casual racism was allowed to pervade than actually do the right thing.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Mind you, I'd imagine Rafiq would like a re-do on his comment that talking **** about Jews is not the same as being racially abused. Not sure how you'd get that wrong, especially when talking to the Jewish Chronicle of all papers.

Xix2565

International Debutant
I mean I don't think a 8-9 year gap at that age is alright (assuming everything listed in that accusation is accurate), but this really feels like Yorkshire and co wanting revenge just because Azeem said that they were racist through and through. Feels a lot like people storing bombs for the future nowadays.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with all of this tbh, but he can now probably jag a spot in the creepy/ ***ually ****ed up XI with Paine et al now
Haha, if we're putting someone in for texting a girl something that fairly mild, albeit a 16/17 year old one...you're going to have to clear the tournament bracket for about 50 XIs that clear that bar.

Mike5181

International Captain

Guy bravely speaks up against institutional racism, and he ends up copping as many bullets if not more in the media than the people being accused. **** me, even if you think 25 and 16 (baring in mind she said 17) is morally bad, the texts were hardly Tim Paine level. Not even in the same stratosphere. Yet the articles get the same type of headline as someone (allegedly) naming their black dog Kevin, throwing bananas at another black player etc?

Wonder what the next person who feels victimised will do? Oh yeah, they'll shut the **** up. Nice one, white media who would much rather casual racism was allowed to pervade than actually do the right thing.
I agree with most of what everyone has been saying, but a 25-year-old hitting up someone who is young enough to be in year 11 in High School is pretty ****ing yikes, not even factoring in the alcohol which is probably the worst part.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with most of what everyone has been saying, but a 25-year-old hitting up someone who is young enough to be in year 11 in High School is pretty ****ing yikes, not even factoring in the alcohol which is probably the worst part.
I haven't seen the chick in question, but it she said she was 17 and looks mature for her age then it's not that bad, old mate could have easily inferred she was nearly 18 based on those conditions.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Thank **** Ikki isn’t here to tell us how great Peterson’s take is.
I quite liked his take, to be honest. It isn't productive to abstract and intellectualise this (irony I know of JBP saying this in the most complicated way possible) - bad behaviour should be punished and made clear to be unacceptable in the specific cases in which it occurs. To say that the bad behaviour happened because they were within the Yorkshire cricket structure / culture isn't helpful here. I think what JBP is saying is that discussions of structural racism etc obscure from "who did the racism" and "how will they be punished". It allows bad actors to slip through the net. Abstract statements like "the Tories are corrupt", for example, obscures from genuine corruption of real people from being really punished in favour of all sorts of irrelevant nonsense.

One other thing which annoys me is the conflation of genuine racist bullying which seems to have happened here with things like Ollie Robinson's tweets as part of the same broad stories. Ollie's tweets are a load of nothing. Genuine racist bullying is serious and unacceptable. When that all gets lumped together then the whole endeavour is devalued.

The going after Rafiq is unfortunate. It just is not relevant to the story at all. But as soon as you do abstract this into abstract differences between groups, the fact that Rafiq has behaved poorly devalues his story - which is a whole load of nonsense.

Also I really agree with what JBP said about "racism". Until I meet someone who can actually define the term (i.e., never), I think it is best used in speechmarks. To suggest he put it in speechmarks as a dog whistle was moronic and bad faith by the panel. It is something I passionately believe that discussions of "racism" are often unhelpful. No one knows what racism is, all that pretty much everyone "knows" is that they aren't it. I've seen documentaries where Neo-Nazis deny being racist - that is how ill-defined the term is.

Burgey

Haha, if we're putting someone in for texting a girl something that fairly mild, albeit a 16/17 year old one...you're going to have to clear the tournament bracket for about 50 XIs that clear that bar.
Yeah nah, if you're in your 20s and she's 16 or so, it's pretty creepy tbh. Assuming he knew she was that age.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
She added: “His behaviour towards me was a direct contradiction really of what he said in his testimony.

“He’s calling for equality and respect, but why is he not embodying that in all aspects? Especially in his tone towards women. It’s hypocrisy.

“He is being put on this pedestal for inciting systemic change, but he’s really contributing to the problem of the vulgar attitudes towards women. The whole nature of that doesn’t sit right with me.”

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket...accused-sending-creepy-messages-teenage-girl/

This is another way that JBP on QT hit the nail on the head. Rafiq's testimony should not be devalued because of anything he did. As soon as you abstract this to discussions of equality then he can be discredited. If it was just about his story then nothing is devalued at all.

TheJediBrah

That's just the media being the media, anything that will incite anger and get clicks is on the table. Don't think it's as one-sided as you're implying or that there is an anti-minority/pro-racism agenda anywhere other than rare niche right-wing programming.

This is an age where anyone with any sort of public profile is getting hunted for dirt. Why would he be any different?