• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Yorkshire CCC racism crisis thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting insight this actually

well it's generalizations actually and should be said people were all different, my uncle was a POW, and hated talk of the war, and the entire escaping thing to get another chance of being killed was all officer class bollox IHO, he was quite happy getting three squares and a cot away from being shot at. Regretted it a bit when he was put on the "THE MARCH" though.

and should be said before any oBrexiteer pipes up that what they voted for in the 70s, wasn't what they got in the end EU-wise. Yet I still find people talking for these men incredibly distasteful, the men they speak for in general didn't want to fight a war, they had too, and many did have severe psychological problems afterwards, just weren't diagnosed back then, many drank themselves to an early death, look at the mortality rates of the one's who survived.

Tbh I don't care if it's off-topic, because it kinda isn't people like Vaughan live in a fantasy past where everything was white and rosy which they want to return too, when it was probably bleak and miserable for most so his comment to Rafiq and the others fits right in with that.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
looks like Hutton was the fall guy and both ECB and Yorkshire reacted only because they didn't see another option and not because they really wanted to...

Hope players from other counties come forward with their own stories and force a more comprehensive look at the entire 1st class cricket scene...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mind you it certainly is taking me back to an earlier time when Yorkshire committee meetings often made the national news, seems rather mundane and bizarre that getting rid of Boyks was considered major back then.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly mate, I've said it before, but it really is a thing, people my age banging on about World War 2 like they were fighting it themselves. I always say you're older than you ****ing look aren't you?

The weird thing is that for us that are old enough to remember people that genuinely saw horrible things in the War, most of them didn't want to talk about it, these weirdos that want to co-opt these people to them, really have no idea. Most voted to join the eU because they couldn't countenance another war like they were traumatised in, but ho-hum, Off topic.

On-Topic Vaughan is racist scum.
omg this is possibly the ATG CW post. You’ve deadset hit the nail square on the head here. My grandfatherfought in ww2. He loved his mates and they used to have some good catch ups which I went along to as I got older, and the thing is they NEVER spoke about the fighting. Not once in all the years I went.

The closest I ever went to hearing something about the actual fighting was their old colonel saying he remembered them trekking through thick jungle in heavy kit on the way to Buna Goa and my grandfather was singing “I’m as free as the breeze.” They all had a chuckle til one of them said “that was the day before Mick got knocked.” And the room just went deathly quiet.

I would also add to your observations people who wrap themselves in their flag. Invariably ****s and invariably have something to hide. Morrison’s efforts this past week a classic case in point over here.

Flem274*

123/5
Yep, my dad recently said the first time he ever heard his father say a single word about the pacific war was when he came to my primary school to talk about ww2 to us, and even then nothing about actual combat. got to 88 planes could take off from a carrier at once, and then he changed the topic. he died of liver failure.

mums dad loved military history and would talk about north africa the place but never north africa the war.

Aritro

International Regular
if ads are anything to go by us FTA plebeians are getting botham as our overseas comm for the summer
**** me, they could have taken the pick of any of several outstanding commentators and they went with this ****. We've already got one ageing narcissist being prickly and judgemental on the microphone, we don't need another one on the other channel.

Aritro

International Regular
Yep, my dad recently said the first time he ever heard his father say a single word about the pacific war was when he came to my primary school to talk about ww2 to us, and even then nothing about actual combat. got to 88 planes could take off from a carrier at once, and then he changed the topic. he died of liver failure.

mums dad loved military history and would talk about north africa the place but never north africa the war.
What sort of stuff did your grandad talk about at your primary school out of interest?

We didn't even cover WWII at any stage of our schooling over here. WWI got a run in Year 10 history.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** me, they could have taken the pick of any of several outstanding commentators and they went with this ****. We've already got one ageing narcissist being prickly and judgemental on the microphone, we don't need another one on the other channel.
Well seeing as over here the coverage is not on Sky then you wouldn't be allowed Atherton, Hussain etc... as it is being broadcast on BT Sport who are the main rival. Least it isn't Vaughan, though he'd fit in in Australia.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What sort of stuff did your grandad talk about at your primary school out of interest?

We didn't even cover WWII at any stage of our schooling over here. WWI got a run in Year 10 history.
Both World Wars and the Cold War were all covered in Class 9/10 History for us.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Some of the stuff in this story is just surreal. So beyond the pale that it feels like some mediocre SNL impersonation of how a racist from the 1850s would behave.

Teja.

Global Moderator
This from Mihir Bose. Astonishing.

Recently, while researching my book, The Impossible Dream, Rafiq told me how for about two years some of his Yorkshire teammates had called him “Rafa the kafir”. For Rafiq, a practising Muslim who has been to Mecca for hajj – the pilgrimage all Muslims are meant to do once in their lifetime – that meant he was an unbeliever and is a devastating charge. He was puzzled because none of the people calling him “kafir” were Muslims or knew anything about Islam.

What he did not know was they were using the word “kaffir” – not the Islamic “kafir”, but the term used in apartheid-era South Africa to denigrate black and brown people. Rafiq only discovered this when Yorkshire later held an investigation into his allegations that he had suffered racism.
It looks like this seemed like a widespread thing where everyone in the team would know about the 'joke' even if they were not participating in it. If that is the case, stuff like this reflects as shamefully on the captain and other established players as much as it does on the guys using the racist language. There's a basic moral failing to not defend someone in that situation.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Well seeing as over here the coverage is not on Sky then you wouldn't be allowed Atherton, Hussain etc... as it is being broadcast on BT Sport who are the main rival. Least it isn't Vaughan, though he'd fit in in Australia.
BT Sport were set to use use local feed with Vaughan in the studio.

Guess it will be Swann now. Be still my beating heart

ImpatientLime

International Regular
they had boycott, vaughan and swann out there last time no? with lee and possibly gilchrist? i remember that super awkward interview on the side of the pitch with anderson after the sydney test with boycott roasting england.

but yeah hussain and athers are the gold standard and both tied to sky.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
they had boycott, vaughan and swann out there last time no? with lee and possibly gilchrist? i remember that super awkward interview on the side of the pitch with anderson after the sydney test with boycott roasting england.

but yeah hussain and athers are the gold standard and both tied to sky.
I've tried to blank it from my memory to be fair. But now you say it yeah boycs was there.

Only thing making that worse would have been KP.

Be interesting this time to see who has worse home comms. India or Australia.

Aussie comms I've heard have been ok for BBL. But an Ashes is another story

Tom Flint

International Regular
I've tried to blank it from my memory to be fair. But now you say it yeah boycs was there.

Only thing making that worse would have been KP.

Be interesting this time to see who has worse home comms. India or Australia.

Aussie comms I've heard have been ok for BBL. But an Ashes is another story
Whats wrong with boycott? Cheer up mate no need to be so pissed off all the time