• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Yorkshire CCC racism crisis thread

Chubb

International Regular
Don't think he has a future at Yorkshire now and he'd be toxic for any county to recruit, despite his ability.

If he said stupid stuff as a kid it would be more understandable, if not excusable, but he was clearly doing this as a grown man.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a surprise. Got blocked off twitter by him after he was called out for being racist about Moeen Ali.

I agreed with the actor who had called him out on it.
Yes was the moment I started totally ignoring Vaughan, don't engage with racists. Having said that I may immediately need my old sig back.

Are you saying he was made to drink alcohol by his team mates?
no, he's clearly not saying that, he's saying there was a peer-pressure and someone desperate to fit in after being extensively bullied possibly caved in?

what are you saying? even though you've already castigated people for pontificating about what happened, whilst not being there, so you probably can't have an opinion, which is a shame....

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think this is a pretty decent way of dealing with this from the ECB tbh. It throws the emphasis back on Yorkshire to make changes before the sanction is lifted.

I gather Counties make pretty good coin out of hosting internationals over there?

Stefan9

International Debutant
Think this is a pretty decent way of dealing with this from the ECB tbh. It throws the emphasis back on Yorkshire to make changes before the sanction is lifted.

I gather Counties make pretty good coin out of hosting internationals over there?
Would think without the international's and 100 they are up the creek with no paddle. Especially with all the mayor sponsors having pulled the plug.

cnerd123

likes this
what happened in short?
Apparently Yorkshire was systematically racist to Azeem Rafiq, and while naming-and-shaming people in the setup who were racist to him he said Gary Ballance called him **** a lot.

Ballance has responded that while he did do that, Azeem was apparently one of his closest friends and he thought it was all friendly banter.

If what Ballance says is correct (that they were close friends), then I feel bad for him that all this came out in such a public manner rather than in a private conversation between the two of them. But it does seem like Azeem was stuck in an environment were he didn't feel safe having these conversations with anyone around him.

The fallout from all this is pretty big - Yorkshire are now banned by ECB from hosting international games, and their management is about to undergo review or something. Sponsors have been dropping them left right and centre. Vaughan has been namedropped as well, which should be fun.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

... he said to Rafiq and two other Asian players as we walked onto the field together that there are 'too many of you lot, we need to do something about it.'

Is what Michael Vaughan has been accused of saying.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh god if Vaughan gets taken down...

Feel like he'll manage to slime his way through somehow, though.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
... he said to Rafiq and two other Asian players as we walked onto the field together that there are 'too many of you lot, we need to do something about it.'

Is what Michael Vaughan has been accused of saying.
yep. I mean hardly surprising stuff from a man who wanted moeen ali to go around asking random Muslims if they were terrorists.

also this is just aamazing 'im not comparing them but here they are, somehow side by side.....'

20211105_071832.jpg