• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Yorkshire CCC racism crisis thread

Spark

Global Moderator
The "I was the first non-Yorkshire player" bit is so unbelievable as a defence/justification that I don't think you could have come up with it as a parody.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just remembered Sachin also played for Yorks. Would like to hear his thoughts and experiences regarding all of this.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
There has always been an air of arrogance/ruthlessness associated with Yorkshire CCC. Much stems from the 30 County Championships won before the '70s. They very reluctantly accepted non-Yorkshire born players when they struggled to maintain their supremacy and that reluctance resulted in antipathy towards any non-Yorkshire born players in their midst. Sadly that attitude still pervades among their membership and administration and filters down.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Probably different for the overseas players, especially when they are established internationals.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is why it took so long for watson to get the boot if we can't attack racists.
To be clear, I acknowledge that Australian cricket clearly has a problem in engaging with non white, Anglo-Saxons, which is why I support the New South Wales Australian government banning anyone associated with the Yorkshire County Cricket Club stepping foot in Australia for the immediate future, as we don't want their toxic influence to spread here. #yorkshirezero

ImpatientLime

International Regular
To be clear, I acknowledge that Australian cricket clearly has a problem in engaging with non white, Anglo-Saxons, which is why I support the New South Wales Australian government banning anyone associated with the Yorkshire County Cricket Club stepping foot in Australia for the immediate future, as we don't want their toxic influence to spread here. #yorkshirezero
banning root in order to end bairstows painfully prolonged test match career is an acceptable price to pay imho.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The chairman has resigned this morning. His comments about the executive board are pretty damning.
Circinfo has similar: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...bemoans-ecb-reluctance-to-act-earlier-1287604

Roger Hutton has resigned as chairman of Yorkshire with immediate effect citing a lack of support from the ECB and a lack of "care and contrition" from senior management at the club.

Yorkshire were stripped of their right to host international cricket by the ECB on Thursday in light of their botched response to Azeem Rafiq's allegations of racism.

Hutton, who joined the club in April 2020 after Azeem had left, was the man who called for Yorkshire's report into the issue and has remained insistent that he wanted to publish its findings. Indeed, it is believed that, in recent weeks, he became convinced that the club would have to sack most of its coaching staff and much of its management team if it was to rebuild with a more healthy culture.

[.....]

Hutton departs with a swipe at the ECB, too. Early in the saga, he recognised that the club needed to undergo a significant cultural change and reached out to the ECB for help. For various reasons, the ECB declined.

"I want to be clear that when I was made aware of Azeem Rafiq's allegations, I immediately reached out to the ECB to ask for their help and intervention to support a robust inquiry," Hutton said. "I was saddened when they declined to help as I felt it was a matter of great importance for the game as a whole. It is a matter of record that I have continually expressed my frustration at the ECB's reluctance to act."
Alison Mitchell has pointed out the former ECB chairman's response when questioned