• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure how you can justify Bairstow over Pope there. Seems to be a team that overlooks the new generation who all showed early promise.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pope absolutely has to play, gotta pick one of Bairstow and Foakes.

Last edited:

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
Feels like years since I've seen Anderson bowling at home. He's going to be a handful.

Is Hetmeyer injured, or is he sitting out because he's scared of Covid?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Interesting debate on another message board about Shai Hope's batting position and why he has such a disparity in his test and ODI record.

One side is saying he can't play the swinging ball very well hence his struggles at 3 and opening in Tests. So therefore he should bat at 5.

I'm not convinced because the white ball swings a lot for a short period of time and he copes with it excellently at the top of the order. I think it's all in his head tbh.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One thing I am interested in is Stokes, I mean injury problems have meant he has not bowled a lot. Will the rest have cleared them up, or actually make him more rusty and unwilling to bowls. If it's the first option it rather opens up choices, but then makes it more likely the bowling will be heavily rotated, I can see them playing almost totally different seam options. Archer, Broad, Woakes, Stokes. Wood, Anderson, S curran, Stokes. Maybe even a Curran in for Stokes, but think that's unlikely, Stone of course a good option too.. Would mean we could play our best 'keeper too.

Anyway interesting stuff, and tons of option with spin too, but you feel they will need to get overs in them, so whomever gets picked first match will probably play throughout. Leach for me, with Root bowling Offspin if needed.

Very low-scoring series my prediction.

Pothas

One thing I am interested in is Stokes, I mean injury problems have meant he has not bowled a lot. Will the rest have cleared them up, or actually make him more rusty and unwilling to bowls. If it's the first option it rather opens up choices, but then makes it more likely the bowling will be heavily rotated, I can see them playing almost totally different seam options. Archer, Broad, Woakes, Stokes. Wood, Anderson, S curran, Stokes. Maybe even a Curran in for Stokes, but think that's unlikely, Stone of course a good option too.. Would mean we could play our best 'keeper too.

Anyway interesting stuff, and tons of option with spin too, but you feel they will need to get overs in them, so whomever gets picked first match will probably play throughout. Leach for me, with Root bowling Offspin if needed.

Very low-scoring series my prediction.
Would be harsh on Bess and especially Leach but I would still want Moeen particularly if his batting is anything like back to what it can be. As you say the bowlers will probably rotated but the first choice is probably still Anderson, Broad and Archer and with Archer showing nothing at all with the bat so far that makes the option of Moeen at 8 more of a factor.

I guess it is kind of interesting to see if they go with Denly or Crawley .

flibbertyjibber

Would be harsh on Bess and especially Leach but I would still want Moeen particularly if his batting is anything like back to what it can be. As you say the bowlers will probably rotated but the first choice is probably still Anderson, Broad and Archer and with Archer showing nothing at all with the bat so far that makes the option of Moeen at 8 more of a factor.

I guess it is kind of interesting to see if they go with Denly or Crawley .
How can the likes of Moeen or Bairstow get back in having played no cricket? They lost places via form and choice and don't deserve the chance to waltz straight back in.

I'd personally go for Leach but I wouldn't be upset if Bess was chosen.

P.S. I know you never mentioned Bairstow just using him as an example of an established player who is not in the side like Moeen who may well get back in.

Last edited:

Pothas

Moeen basically had one bad match with the ball and got dropped though. I mean it was the right decision because he looked totally gone but its not like he had been bowling badly for ages. Certainly no complaints if they don't pick him but honestly still think he is our best bet when playing at home.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't think they're playing any. County sides aren't playing before August so there's not really anyone for them to play

ImpatientLime

International Regular
moeen's record with the ball in england is too good to ignore if he is fit and ready to go.

he is a genuine match winner at home.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably only 3 players I am certain will play the first test (Root, Stokes and Anderson). That's the fewest for a long time, which is both a testament to our bowling depth at home and a condemnation of this batting order.
Even Root is a doubt for the first Test as he may be on pat leave then. Leaving that aside though I think the batting is pretty much set as what you picked (other than Pope over Bairstow). Crawley at 3 instead of Denly perhaps may be considered.

I think England view their best seam attack as Anderson and Broad with Wood/Archer on rotation (plus Stokes of course). Can see Woakes being rotated with the two veterans this summer and Stone might get a Test too. It's hard to know what to do with SCurran. Clearly a talent but hard to see where he fits in at the moment.

Foakes/Buttler/Bairstow and Moeen/Leach/Bess to be settled via Hunger Games sim imo.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I don't think they're playing any. County sides aren't playing before August so there's not really anyone for them to play
They're playing two inter-squad matches:

- Three day match starting June 23rd
- Four-day match from June 29th

Probably:

Braithwaite, Campbell, Brooks, Hope, Chase, Dowrich (wk), Holder (J), Cornwall, Roach, Joseph, Holder (C)

vs

Mosely, De Silva (wk), Bonner, Blackwood, Ambris, Mayers, Reifer, Warrican, Mcsween, Harding, Thomas, Gabriel, Phillip, Mindley

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

This series could go either way as both sides will be undercooked and a silly session could mean a defeat in any test and if the weather is ok I would think 2-1 is a certainty and it could go either way. Certainly not a betting proposition this series as you have no idea who is in form and who isn't.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think if it were up to me I would play

Burns
Sibley
Denly
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Foakes
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

I get why you would want to not include Bairstow, or choose different openers, or believe in one of the younger spin options, but I'm pretty happy with my choices down to 8.

The bit I really struggle with is whether to find room fro Curran, Archer or Wood. Any would be fair calls.

Probably only 3 players I am certain will play the first test (Root, Stokes and Anderson). That's the fewest for a long time, which is both a testament to our bowling depth at home and a condemnation of this batting order.
I know that others have picked you up on Pope, so I'll take that as a given instead of Bairstow.
Is Burns actually fit enough to play? I think he wouldn't have played in SL but maybe he's OK now.
Maybe Archer over Woakes. It probably depends on how they look in the nets, which is a bit crap but it's all we'll have.
Ali's a bit lucky, but Leach/Archer aren't batting at 8, and Bess didn't look much better with the bat in SA.