• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

ImpatientLime

International Regular
holder should be top 6 based on the fact there aren't 6 better batsman in the caribbean than him.

he's wasted down at 8.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I think Rakheem is potentially a proper batsman and a good number 8 at test level. I've seen enough of him and others to know that. Jason Holder really should take more responsibility and bat at 7 also in my opinion. Our strength is our attack and we should not weaken it when it is our best chance of winning tests. Our batting is weak anyway, they just need to take responsibility and put more runs on the board. I am dead against weakening the bowling to put another mediocre batsman in to create a false sense of depth.

Lets bowl England out cheaply with a strong test match attack, which we are more than capable of doing, and then find a way to score runs with what we've got in place.

Braithwaite
Campbell
Brooks
Hope
Chase
Dowrich (wk)
Holder (c)
Cornwall
Roach (new ball)
Joseph (new ball)
Holder
i may have missed this but is there a reason for no gabriel? surely injury is the only reason he would miss out

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
i may have missed this but is there a reason for no gabriel? surely injury is the only reason he would miss out
Coming back off major ankle issues. Is traveling with to England as a reserve so fitness permitting he should well be back in the squad proper at some point

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
He's recovering from injury and will be added to the squad if he proves his fitness over the next couple of weeks.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Somebody Gabriel's size? Ankle issues? No way. I'll be interested to see how the WI bowling goes, don't rate them as swing bowlers though I suppose Holder and Joseph are good enough. Of course, unless they've reverted from the changes to the Dukes ball there won't be any swing, especially without saliva. On the other hand if England were to pick one of their other quicker bowlers (like Wood or Stone) in addition to Archer (though if Anderson's fit that won't happen) and Gabriel was fit you could get some pretty decent bouncer exchanges.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Holder, Roach and Joseph swung it around corners with the Dukes ball, last time the two teams met in the Caribbean.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Roach did most his damage with the seam. Did get Bairstow with a big swinger but who hasn't recently. I've always thought Joseph bowled from too wide on the crease for the amount he swung the ball.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Roach is swing and seam. Oddly he gets exaggerated swing from around the wicket to left handers but not so much to right handers. Still, his line and length is outstanding and so it is very effective.

Jason Holder gets swing and seam. He is an outstanding swing and seam bowler nowadays, with the added extra bounce.

Joseph has the biggest natural outswinger of the first choice bowlers IMHO. He hasn't always used it as well as he could as he bowls too short/wide of the crease but this seems to be improving as he gets older.

Chemar Holder is a relentlessly accurate high 80mph range with each way movement merchant. A bit like a taller Shami in my opinion. Not exaggerated swing but excellent seam movement.

Obviously Gabriel is high pace and a little bit of swing and seam, but not much. He moves the ball less than any of the others.

Keemo Paul is the best swing bowler in the Caribbean. During the third test against England in the Caribbean he was causing all sorts of problems with swing before he got injured. It's a huge shame he's not on this tour.

Howe_zat

Audio File
England have a 30 man training group

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53080932

Batting:

Rory Burns, Zak Crawley, Joe Denly, Keaton Jennings, Dan Lawrence, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Dom Sibley

Keeping:

Jonny Bairstow, Jos Buttler, Ben Foakes, James Bracey

Allround:

Moeen Ali, Sam Curran, Lewis Gregory, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes

Bowling:

James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Dom Bess, Stuart Broad, Jack Leach, Saqib Mahmood, Craig Overton, Jamie Overton, Matthew Parkinson, Ollie Robinson, Olly Stone, Amar Virdi, Mark Wood

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think if it were up to me I would play

Burns
Sibley
Denly
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Foakes
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

I get why you would want to not include Bairstow, or choose different openers, or believe in one of the younger spin options, but I'm pretty happy with my choices down to 8.

The bit I really struggle with is whether to find room fro Curran, Archer or Wood. Any would be fair calls.

Probably only 3 players I am certain will play the first test (Root, Stokes and Anderson). That's the fewest for a long time, which is both a testament to our bowling depth at home and a condemnation of this batting order.