• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in India 2014

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hey WW, this is a bad time for Windies cricket, and I know you are looking for the silver lining in the storm, and you know what, good for you. That's a good attitude.

I really hope the Windies players prioritize Windies cricket over IPL too, with or without any help/nudge from WICB. As it stands, Narine won't be a part of the competition anyways until he has been cleared. So that's a good start.

And believe me, if this did in fact make the IPL worse off, I would be happy. But the sad fact is that it will not. As other Indian fans have pointed out here, the IPL wouldn't suffer at all for lack of Narine and Gayle and Pollard and Bravo and Smith and Sammy when it comes to TV ratings or fan following.

And I realize it must be hurting and BCCI are a nice target to pour out frustration on (that's literally the only thing they are good for ffs ;)), but at the moment, their revenues are carrying WICB finances, whether we like it or not. WICB should have made sure this tour never imploded the way it did. BCCI will make their money regardless of what happens, and just wishing so won't make them worse off (believe me, we have been trying!).

Cheers :beer:
Screw you... you just made a long post to fish for likes, when this post had already made the same point much more succintly

Seriously WW, I do feel sorry for you and other WI supporters. If this was happening to NZ Cricket I'd be at my wits end myself. But I seriously think you should leave the forum for a few days until you've calmed down and had time to take stock.
Sometimes think people look at long posts and go "tldr, it must be good" and click the like button. Banz's post>harsh post :ph34r:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First of all, ****s like me standing on the shoulders of giants like Bahnz has got humanity where it is today. So, gagf OS :cool:

And secondly, I made the crucial strategic move of not asking WW to **** off from the forum for a little while, and engaged him instead. See the difference in the response I got.
#Plato-Machiavelli-Freud-Looking-Down-Proudly

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First of all, ****s like me standing on the shoulders of giants like Bahnz has got humanity where it is today. So, gagf OS :cool:

And secondly, I made the crucial strategic move of not asking WW to **** off from the forum for a little while, and engaged him instead. See the difference in the response I got.
#Plato-Machiavelli-Freud-Looking-Down-Proudly
You also made this snarky post

So you never debate with yourself huh? You are missing out WW.
So *** you. All you wanted was likes, and the sheep duly delivered. Pretentious little **** pretending you care :p

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I disagree with everyone saying it is reasonable for BCCI to sue the WICB for 65 million.

This is Sport. This isn't meant to be pure business. I know administrators around the world like to treat Sport like a product to be produced, marketed and sold...that's not what Sport is. It's not a laptop or a phone or a piece of furniture. The main aim of Sport is not to make money and never has been. It's a hobby that provides entertainment. The reason we play, watch and follow sport is because it gives us joy. It brings people of different backgrounds together on the same field, playing the same game, and communicating through a common language that transcends cultural difference. It creates friendships and bonds you cannot find anywhere else. It's a hobby that keeps you in shape. It gives you an escape from the real world. Heck, sometimes it gives you the opportunity to travel the world. And you learn lessons playing sports that you don't learn anywhere else. That's what sport is all about.

The reason we have Elite level sports is to provide entertainment to fans around the world, and the money raised is meant to ensure the health and wellbeing of said sport. You help it grow at grassroots level, you create more opportunities and facilities for people to play, you spread it around the world, and you ensue everyone involved with the sport isn't making huge sacrifices to participate. All the advertising, TV revenue, merchandise, is just meant to further help this sport grow and develop. It's a means to an end, it is not the end itself.

Somewhere along the line, cricket seems to have forgotten all of that. The BCCI suing the WICB and crippling West Indies cricket in the process goes directly against everything that sport is supposed to be about. It's just not cricket.

The BCCI can easily afford a 65 million dollar hit. They don't need the money. They won't get the money anyways if they sue the WICB. It's pointless. No one wins. Cricket loses.
The bolded bit is patently untrue ftr.

brockley

International Captain
According to cricinfo West Indies could face ban,especially with Srinivassan at top,also Hong Kong placed on standby for World Cup.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Seriously WW, I do feel sorry for you and other WI supporters. If this was happening to NZ Cricket I'd be at my wits end myself.
The scary bit is, New Zealand, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are not that much better off than the West Indies. All boards are severely dependent on Indian cricket tours.

As some one pointed out, with the Indian tours to the Caribbean out of question in the near future, it will be difficult for Windies cricket to survive. I hope they get out of this mess eventually. Other boards need to take cue and develop local T20 tournaments over the next 4-5 years so that they can get some home revenues 'on their own'. Ah.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The scary bit is, New Zealand, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are not that much better off than the West Indies. All boards are severely dependent on Indian cricket tours.

As some one pointed out, with the Indian tours to the Caribbean out of question in the near future, it will be difficult for Windies cricket to survive. I hope they get out of this mess eventually. Other boards need to take cue and develop local T20 tournaments over the next 4-5 years so that they can get some home revenues 'on their own'. Ah.
They all have local T20 tournaments designed to maximise revenue?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
If anyone still struggles to understand why the players felt the need to act, I hope the below numbers taken from this article help spell out the situation.

US$5,750 = What cricketers will earn per Test under WIPA’s new agreement;

US$18,460 = What WI cricketers earned per Test under the old WIPA agreement;

US$683,581 = What the WICB will take from its players for this series; and what the cricketers want to recover.
The WICB are an absolute disgrace and simply have to go. Also, what on earth was Wavell thinking? This is sheer incompetence and as Michael Holding said, who would want to represent an organisation that treats their staff like this?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
That article isn't complete though. What about their retainers?

"would have earned US$83,000 (TT$526,000) from match fees and sponsorship money for the current India series, which comprises of five ODIs, three Tests and one T20 match.

Instead, that player will take home US$30,475"

While it is incredibly poor not to inform the players about the reduced remuneration, $30K is a lot of money to earn from one series, especially considering it's in addition to their contract salaries. Were these salaries raised at all?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If anyone still struggles to understand why the players felt the need to act, I hope the below numbers taken from this article help spell out the situation.

The WICB are an absolute disgrace and simply have to go. Also, what on earth was Wavell thinking? This is sheer incompetence and as Michael Holding said, who would want to represent an organisation that treats their staff like this?
I heard that the international players suffered from the deal but domestic players were doing much better. Is there any truth in that?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I heard that the international players suffered from the deal but domestic players were doing much better. Is there any truth in that?
Yeah, pretty much

Earlier in the year, internationals and players' association agreed upon the need to change compensation structure in order to enable establishment of professional domestic comp

Unfortunately, WIPA signed a MOU with WICB without further discussion with the internationals that effectively chopped their income in half (or thereabouts)

Internationals spewed but WICB refused to renegotiate and that led to strike

Last edited: