• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in India 2014

cnerd123

likes this
I disagree with everyone saying it is reasonable for BCCI to sue the WICB for 65 million.

This is Sport. This isn't meant to be pure business. I know administrators around the world like to treat Sport like a product to be produced, marketed and sold...that's not what Sport is. It's not a laptop or a phone or a piece of furniture. The main aim of Sport is not to make money and never has been. It's a hobby that provides entertainment. The reason we play, watch and follow sport is because it gives us joy. It brings people of different backgrounds together on the same field, playing the same game, and communicating through a common language that transcends cultural difference. It creates friendships and bonds you cannot find anywhere else. It's a hobby that keeps you in shape. It gives you an escape from the real world. Heck, sometimes it gives you the opportunity to travel the world. And you learn lessons playing sports that you don't learn anywhere else. That's what sport is all about.

The reason we have Elite level sports is to provide entertainment to fans around the world, and the money raised is meant to ensure the health and wellbeing of said sport. You help it grow at grassroots level, you create more opportunities and facilities for people to play, you spread it around the world, and you ensue everyone involved with the sport isn't making huge sacrifices to participate. All the advertising, TV revenue, merchandise, is just meant to further help this sport grow and develop. It's a means to an end, it is not the end itself.

Somewhere along the line, cricket seems to have forgotten all of that. The BCCI suing the WICB and crippling West Indies cricket in the process goes directly against everything that sport is supposed to be about. It's just not cricket.

The BCCI can easily afford a 65 million dollar hit. They don't need the money. They won't get the money anyways if they sue the WICB. It's pointless. No one wins. Cricket loses.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah the BCCI are well within their rights to sue the **** out of the WICB morons, but it's a case where everyone loses despite justice being done.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Cricinfo reports BCCI unlikely to sue for damages. Good on them. Also agree with their stance to reduce the number of tours. Would support a one season ban on the palyers from IPL. However legitimate their claims, they do not pull out of a series and put the hosts in a bad spot for no fault of theirs. The article about how they were persuaded to play the fourth ODI was pretty damning.

Slifer

International Captain
Normally I don't support the BCCI but good on them to curtail further series for the WI. Bunch of idiots.....

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India suspend all tours to WI, guess that was always going to happen after this. Shambles for WI and they will be hurt long term more than India will.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
India suspend all tours to WI, guess that was always going to happen after this. Shambles for WI and they will be hurt long term more than India will.
We'll see who is "hurt" when ICC votes are needed and mou's need to be signed by the board for our players to partake in the IPL!! 8-) ...one or two tours would be enough..but they've gone overboard here and all they are doing is making another enemy!!..do they think their IPL product will be half as good without Caribbean players? And now we'll be more inclined to get into bed with all the other nations if any votes are on the table..lets see how long this "suspension" lasts.

As for the players?!! smh i couldn't tell you how much trouble those scumbags are in!!..i very much expect careers to be ended over this mess...and rightly so.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We'll see who is "hurt" when ICC votes are needed and mou's need to be signed by the board for our players to partake in the IPL!! 8-) ...one or two tours would be enough..but they've gone overboard here and all they are doing is making another enemy!!..do they think their IPL product will be half as good without Caribbean players? And now we'll be more inclined to get into bed with all the other nations if any votes are on the table..lets see how long this "suspension" lasts.

As for the players?!! smh i couldn't tell you how much trouble those scumbags are in!!..i very much expect careers to be ended over this mess...and rightly so.
Heh. Heh.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
We'll see who is "hurt" when ICC votes are needed and mou's need to be signed by the board for our players to partake in the IPL!! 8-)
yeah...the West Indies players, and then the WICB when their players refuse to play for them because they're not allowed to play in the IPL where they'd make 10x what they make playing for their IPL teams.

do they think their IPL product will be half as good without Caribbean players?
ummm something tells me the IPL will do just fine.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

All I am saying is financially India can cope more without WI than WI can cope without India. I think anyone would agree with that.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Yes, IPL works in India because of the Caribbean flavor.

If you think anyone is going to side against the BCCI on this, you are kidding yourself. One way inclination to get into bed usually results in one-in-a-bed.

The only careers that should rightly end are those of the top WICB officials and Wavell Hinds. No "management" team in their right minds could ever think that its employees would be okay with a 60% cut in salary. But that will not fit into your Windies cricket greatness nostalgia/delusion, of course.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
yeah...the West Indies players, and then the WICB when their players refuse to play for them because they're not allowed to play in the IPL where they'd make 10x what they make playing for their IPL teams.
LOL yes because any young talent will seriously quit international cricket for the IPL? don't make me laugh!!... :laugh:

ummm something tells me the IPL will do just fine.
Without WI talent it would be half as good!!..and everyone knows it which is why there is so much caribbean players that play in the damn thing.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
LOL yes because any young talent will seriously quit international cricket for the IPL? don't make me laugh!!... :laugh:

Without WI talent it would be half as good!!..and everyone knows it which is why there is so much caribbean players that play in the damn thing.
you really are atrociously deluded.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yes, IPL works in India because of the Caribbean flavor.

If you think anyone is going to side against the BCCI on this, you are kidding yourself. One way inclination to get into bed usually results in one-in-a-bed.

The only careers that should rightly end are those of the top WICB officials and Wavell Hinds. No "management" team in their right minds could ever think that its employees would be okay with a 60% cut in salary. But that will not fit into your Windies cricket greatness nostalgia/delusion, of course.
Nonsense imo!!..Aus and Eng have a vote on something they can turn to WI..who were there for India during the whole "big three" fiasco earlier this year. Secondly we'll see how the IPL copes without Caribbean players...the whole thing will be devoid of flare and carisma..and TRUST me the board will fight all the way regarding our players going to the IPL. For so long we've had to bend over backwards because of that circus..not anymore...we also let the Narine situation go aswell...and now the BCCI want to throw their dummys out the pram? shameful 8-) .

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nonsense imo!!..Aus and Eng have a vote on something they can turn to WI..who were there for India during the whole "big three" fiasco earlier this year. Secondly we'll see how the IPL copes without Caribbean players...the whole thing will be devoid of flare and carisma..and TRUST me the board will fight all the way regarding our players going to the IPL. For so long we've had to bend over backwards because of that circus..not anymore...we also let the Narine situation go aswell...and now the BCCI want to throw their dummys out the pram? shameful 8-) .
Your players just refused to play for the West Indies. It's pretty clear what they'll do if the WICB refuses to sign a NOC. They'll just go anyway.

And even if they don't, the IPL will go on and barely anyone will care.

Neither the Windies players nor the WICB has more than a 5c piece to bargain with the BCCI here.

Last edited: