• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tour Matches

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So winning a 3 day game and having a 160 run lead after day 2 of the other is poor is it?

Not much you can do in 3 day other games other than what has been done by England due to lack of time.

Still whatever floats your boat.Can't say i've been impressed by much of the cricket Australia have played in the last year or so,struggling to beat sides and losing games when they have them in the bag.
They should've really beat them by a lot though, or at least dominate a draw. SA & WA aren't very strong state sides. Still, it's a credit that they've fought back, however.

flibbertyjibber

They should've really beat them by a lot though, or at least dominate a draw. SA & WA aren't very strong state sides. Still, it's a credit that they've fought back, however.
How have we fought back?

We easily beat WA after 2 days getting rid of rustiness and had a big lead on first innings after declaring this week.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So dominating a draw would have been preferable to winning? What?

Jacknife

International Captain
I don't think it's realistic to dominate in a 3 day game against a state side, it's a good achievement just to win in 3 days.Like someone else said how is winning a game inside the 3 days worse than a dominating draw,whatever that means.Australia had 2 boring draws against Sussex and the England Lions in their warm up games in the Ashes last year.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
England bowler Anderson finds his rhythm
Earlier, the Redbacks were bowled out for 221 with offspinner Graeme Swann claiming scorebook honours with 4-68 - but three of his victims were tailenders.

In contrast, Anderson dismissed half of SA's top six and gained appreciable swing.
But Ferguson's innings ended when he spooned an audacious pull shot to wide mid-on to complete a knock which puzzled the tourists.

"It was an interesting innings if you're trying to push to get into the Test side," Anderson said.

"It was pretty breezy.

"He played some attacking shots but at the same time we thought we had a chance of getting him out."

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Still unconvinced about England. If they wanted to win the Ashes they should've done better than what they currently have against the 2 worst state teams.
Ah, I dunno mate, we've had one and a half warm-up games, so I wouldn't read too much into it. For the WA game the players were just off the plane and still very much acclimatising, the bowlers were obviously very rusty in the first innings, and it ended up a pretty comfortable win. And in this game England have a big lead going into day 3. The team seems to be improving, and everyone is starting to contribute. So I think it's pretty good really. Particularly if you compare it to the excrement we've dished up in the opening games on past Ashes tours.

tooextracool

International Coach
Still unconvinced about England. If they wanted to win the Ashes they should've done better than what they currently have against the 2 worst state teams.
Do you know what the point of a warm up game is? Hint: Its not about obliterating the warm up side.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you know what the point of a warm up game is? Hint: Its not about obliterating the warm up side.
I think the win's the most important thing for us. The whole point of this England team is getting the results, it's not about superstars or looking good.

tooextracool

International Coach
I think the win's the most important thing for us. The whole point of this England team is getting the results, it's not about superstars or looking good.
No its not. The whole point of a warm up is to get match practice. Its not about winning or losing, its about getting in shape for the real contest. Id much rather we get tested by our opponents, spend 3 days toiling away than just coming in and blowing the opposition away.

Notice how England's second inning performance has been a lot better than their first. Its obvious that many of the players are batting differently in the first innings, Trott playing pull and hook shots like theres no tomorrow is not going to happen in a test match setting, but he needs to develop that side of his game.

flibbertyjibber

You were 4/5 for not many twice. That'd be my guess.

Did quite well from that position both times though. So I guess that's what he's referring to. Would expect the bowlers to put in a good effort tomorrow too. Especially Swann.
Funny i always thought sides had to take 10 wickets.One of our strengths is the fact we bat so far down the order which makes us a tough nut to crack as you and SA have found out to your cost.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Funny i always thought sides had to take 10 wickets.One of our strengths is the fact we bat so far down the order which makes us a tough nut to crack as you and SA have found out to your cost.
That, I think, is the major difference between now and two years ago. England don't fold over any more. When they are on the back foot - which is still annoyingly often - they cling on, they are a very tough side to beat.

Top_Cat

Good on England for treating this attack with the respect it deserves. Well-played Strauss and yeah, Swann's wickets looked quite good. He's shaping up really well.

Burgey

By way of clarification, which I feel is appropriate in this instance, the emphasis was on "average", as in you take a sample size of many millions and work out the average. This generalisation should in no way be taken as meaning that every English person looks like poor Corrin. It was a gross misrepresentation and one I unreservedly resile from.

And certainly had I read the post properly I'd not have agreed. Had it said "Englishman" I feel it may have more accurately represented the truth. To include both genders was plainly a slip of the keyboard by SOC (wasn't it, mate?) and nothing but inadvertent.
:renske:

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So Australian fans feel England have done ****.

English fans are thinking that Australia should be worried based on England's tour match performances.

Confusing stuff. I daresay don't read into it either way. Not as overall teams anyway. Perhaps on individual form of certain players, but that's it.

Gary Kirsten used to say he didn't like scoring big in tour/warm-up matches before a big series, and I'm sure he's not the only one to think that.