• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Howe_zat

Audio File
So are all the England fans having that creeping feeling that everything's about to go horribly wrong, probably as a direct consequence of all the gloating? I'm desperate for the test to start just so as the creeping goes away.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So are all the England fans having that creeping feeling that everything's about to go horribly wrong, probably as a direct consequence of all the gloating? I'm desperate for the test to start just so as the creeping goes away.
Nah, unless you mean 'orrible Madchester rain. That's about the only way we don't go 3-0 up after this match.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol Warner on the radio just now:

"Dave, have you settled back into English conditions?"

"Yeah mate, I let the first two balls go in the nets the other day and got bowled so its all good".

hazsa19

International Regular
It says something about the English cricket fans state of mind that i'm hoping for a rain induced draw. 2-0 up with 2 to go and i'll start celebrating.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
wow, some nervous England fans, you guys are destroying us and we have almost no way back, give yourselves a break

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It says something about the English cricket fans state of mind that i'm hoping for a rain induced draw. 2-0 up with 2 to go and i'll start celebrating.
Good grief man that is terrible!!!

Pull yer head in........if you can't have faith in the ability of England, then at least have faith in the awfulness of this Australian side!!!

Edit:

I would be absolutely devastated to have rain rob us of the chance to go 3 zip here.

Last edited:

hazsa19

International Regular
Good grief man that is terrible!!!

Pull yer head in........if you can't have faith in the ability of England, then at least have faith in the awfulness of this Australian side!!!

Edit:

I would be absolutely devastated to have rain rob us of the chance to go 3 zip here.
As long as it's dry tomorrow as I have tickets

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
On second thoughts, let's not recall Boof:

The evidence that Khawaja is enjoying his cricket was plain to see at Hove last week. Bowling in the nets, he dismissed the new coach, Darren Lehmann, from three consecutive deliveries with his offbreaks, celebrating as joyously as if he'd just scored the Ashes-winning runs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Usman Khawaja:

"Darren Lehmann was a big reason I moved up," he said. "I'd worked with him a few times. He had come to the academy a few times. He was always awesome, every time I had talked to him he was really good ... He doesn't play any favourites with anyone [as Australia coach], especially me."

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Haha, that's brilliant. @LHC

Tbf Twatto often whacks him for a few fours in the opening overs and it doesn't bother him but I suppose he knows it's only a matter of time before that massive pad presents itself for an LBW shout.
Jimmy doesn't have the greatest record against Watson though tbh. One of the reasons he gets so many stars against England is that he's always been pretty comfortable with Anderson.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seriously, as I said before the series started, everyone will have to get used to lots moar Starc from now on. He's the pick right behind Pattinson and Siddle for now (when Harris isn't fit/they're playing more than one Test in a row). He might not be the finished article with the ball but he can bat so he's going to be in the frame whilst the Aussie top-order is so ****.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
It's rubbish Bird didn't get picked. However the bowling side hasn't been the big down point. So even if he had a blinder it doesn't guarantee a win. If Australia can not cop any dodgydecisions, and then also not get themselves out in seriously bad ways then hopefully some kind of total can be built, and maybe just maybe a decent match will follow.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Seriously, as I said before the series started, everyone will have to get used to lots moar Starc from now on. He's the pick right behind Pattinson and Siddle for now (when Harris isn't fit/they're playing more than one Test in a row). He might not be the finished article with the ball but he can bat so he's going to be in the frame whilst the Aussie top-order is so ****.
Yeah see I don't have a problem with selecting Starc in that he's the incumbent and offers a little bit of variety, but then why did they drop him for the second test? It's just inconsistent and impossible to follow the reasoning.

The way I see it there's two selection policies that you can go for:

1. Pick your best 4 bowlers individually (rated by performance and consistency). In which case the first test should have been Pattinson, Siddle, Harris.

2. Pick your best combination of bowlers - India clearly opt for this policy, which is why Jadeja plays so often. I thought they were doing this when they selected Pattinson, Starc, Siddle (Agar) for the first test: a right arm outswing, a left arm inswing, and a seamer. But if you're following this selection policy, Bird and Siddle should never play together, and Harris and Pattinson shouldn't either.

Picking Harris and Pattinson in the same team for the second test was at odds with what seemed to be their first test selection policy.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If Starc bowls around the wicket before lunch on the first day I am going to rage.

Actually, I hope we bat first, in which case change lunch to the drinks break before close of play.