• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia should pick Patto as a batsman in the 3rd Test. Stick a metal rod up the back of his shirt so his batting doesn't affect his stress fracture. It might restrict his movement a little, but at the very worst we'll have a left-handed Watto.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Isn't this meant to be a family friendly forum? Even as an Australian fan, it would be pretty funny to see Swann and Panasar up against Agar and Lyon

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From the presser Lehmann gave after the Sussex game it was sort of suggested that Agar might pick up a few wickets 'next week'. Possibility he might play, especially since Lyon didn't really put in a good performance in the tour game. Would be madness to play both though.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Reports say the pitch is very dry and even has some bare spots. Hopefully we stick with 1 spinner.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
We have to play Lyon IMO, it's crunch time and he has more experience to call on, Agar failed to prove why he is a better pick than Lyon.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't this meant to be a family friendly forum? Even as an Australian fan, it would be pretty funny to see Swann and Panasar up against Agar and Lyon
I think that Aus are more able to pick two spinners than England, with Watson being a serviceable third seamer. Unless Old Trafford really is subcontinental nowadays, England will want to play a third quick. If it's as bouncy as some have said, then maybe we'll see Tremlett replacing Bresnan.

EDIT
And I'm sure you're right about Lyon being a better selection than Agar.

social

I think that Aus are more able to pick two spinners than England, with Watson being a serviceable third seamer. Unless Old Trafford really is subcontinental nowadays, England will want to play a third quick. If it's as bouncy as some have said, then maybe we'll see Tremlett replacing Bresnan.

EDIT
And I'm sure you're right about Lyon being a better selection than Agar.
?????

2/3 best seamers in this series are Australian and our spinners aren't much good

It would be sheer lunacy for Australia to pick 2 spinners bot sort of understandable if England did

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
?????

2/3 best seamers in this series are Australian and our spinners aren't much good

It would be sheer lunacy for Australia to pick 2 spinners bot sort of understandable if England did
I don't think it's very likely, unless it's an absolute dust bowl. But in that case, you'd still have Harris and Siddle plus Watson. Starc was unimpressive at TB and apparently your selectors rate him more highly than Bird or whoever else you've got in the squad.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I don't think it's very likely, unless it's an absolute dust bowl. But in that case, you'd still have Harris and Siddle plus Watson. Starc was unimpressive at TB and apparently your selectors rate him more highly than Bird or whoever else you've got in the squad.
You simply can't go into a Test picking 2 front line seamer's if one of them is Harris. It's asking for trouble.

Riggins

International Captain
if it makes it more likely for watson to go and get himself injured, hopefully late in the second innings, then i guess it's a risk i'm comfortable with.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd hate the selectors to be going into a selection with such a negative mindset regarding Harris getting injured though, he's had a decent rest, I don't see why he is too much of a risk at this stage

social

Just keep it simple and pick 3 best seamers + spinner irrespective of conditions

IMO, that's Harris, Siddle, Bird + Lyon + probably Watson

BTW, it's raining at Old Trafford so hopefully that will dispel any thoughts of Oz committing Hari Kari by picking 2 spinners anyway

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
BTW, it's raining at Old Trafford so hopefully that will dispel any thoughts of Oz committing Hari Kari by picking 2 spinners anyway
Raining today but hot and dry for the first 2 days of the test. Could be a big toss to win......can Ali Cook win 3 in a row?

Can't see either side going in with 2 spinners.