• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Edgbaston

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
If Tremlett is fit he plays. I'm pretty sure that's how the English management will see it too. Tough I know but that's the strength of the English bowling right now.

If we do need a new Bat as well I really would like them to blood Taylor. Although our bowling stocks seem to be the strongest in my lifetime batting wise there's not much beyond the top 6 we have right now. We really need to try and bring through the few promising younger guys. Rather than have whats happened to Australia and (soon to be) India lately and have it forced on us when players retire.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dunno how Ravi has shown himself to be a continues failure when he hasn't played Tests for 2 years. Don't think he's the best bet at all but disagree with using odi performances as a measure.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dunno how Ravi has shown himself to be a continues failure when he hasn't played Tests for 2 years. Don't think he's the best bet at all but disagree with using odi performances as a measure.
Yeah I think the hate for him here is a little over the top at times.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yeah I think the hate for him here is a little over the top at times.
No hate from me, I'd just not go in his direction again, even with his latest score he's averaging 42 this year in Div2 and averaged the same last year. As far as I'm concerned he hasn't moved his game on and to be honest it's debatable whether it's gone back a little.
England need to find more than just Ravi as a back up, if they are going to continually improve, so if Trott does happen to be out, I'd like them to look else where, like a Taylor or Stokes who's averaged 55 so far this year, only problem with him is he's just coming back from injury.

Pity we couldn't get Trescothick back for one last game he's averaging 84 this year.

Last edited:

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Good.I was waiting for this thread.Just to move on from the 2nd test.
Stick it soon CW.

Scaly piscine

Bopara has not just been falling a little short in a particular area like say Morgan currently in Test cricket. Bopara has been evil guy in Scooby Doo ****e. ****ing awful across the board and in all formats. Mentally atrocious. Technically flawed. Plays loose strokes in the air to fielders regularly. Everyone who knows cricket knows this is what he brings, which is sweet FA. Why would you go near someone like that when you've players like Taylor and Stokes waiting in County Cricket? England have moved on, they've got real quality waiting. Bopara is scraping the barrel, he's a 90s selection. Hoping he'll rise to mediocrity when you know he's not good enough.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Bopara has not just been falling a little short in a particular area like say Morgan currently in Test cricket. Bopara has been evil guy in Scooby Doo ****e. ****ing awful across the board and in all formats. Mentally atrocious. Technically flawed. Plays loose strokes in the air to fielders regularly. Everyone who knows cricket knows this is what he brings, which is sweet FA. Why would you go near someone like that when you've players like Taylor and Stokes waiting in County Cricket? England have moved on, they've got real quality waiting. Bopara is scraping the barrel, he's a 90s selection. Hoping he'll rise to mediocrity when you know he's not good enough.
Isnt he close to Gooch though?

Son Of Coco

If he can't score runs in tests at the moment he never will...I think he's pretty poor at test level, but he'd be unlucky to meet a consistent attack.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Going back to the England attack for Edgbaston, I wonder how much thought they will give to Tremlett replacing Swann on the basis the four quicks are the guys that this Indian team would least want to face. It would be a helluva brave move to drop Swann, so I don't see it happening. But I know who India would rather see next week.

Failing that, I could make a case for five bowlers even though we're two up in the series: get the deal done and dusted ASAP rather than give Sehwag and Ghambir the potential for breathing space when they return to the side.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I like the idea of playing a 4-man pace attack but it's not practical. Without Swann we'd end up having to overbowl part-timers and that really does piss me off.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Cook
Strauss
Bell
Pietersen
Morgan/Trott
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson

This line-up will beat india for sure.

nick-o

State 12th Man
I'm struck by how incredibly conservative the current England management have been: during the last 12 months from the start of the Pakistan series last summer, England have played 14 tests and called up only 14 players. One replacement was caused by the retirement of Collingwood, the other changes have been rotation of quick bowlers.

Of those 14 Tests, England have won nine, five of which by an innings, I think. In those 14 Tests, a four-man bowling attack has taken I think 241 wickets; the support bowlers (Collingwood, Trott and Pietersen) have added a total of 4, at a cumulative average of about 65.

So there is on paper absolutely zero evidence to support the idea of a five-man attack.

The weakest link in that time has been Strauss, who averages less than 30. Morgan averages a touch over 30.

If Trott can't play, the selectors will pick for a batsman to take his place, not a bowler. They might take the ability to send down a few overs into account, but it's not important. Trott on average bowled five overs a match, taking Collingwood's place who typically bowled a bit less than that during this timeframe. Pietersen on average bowls two.

Bresnan might get the call ahead of Tremlett depending on fitness, but the remaining place will almost certainly go to the next pure batsman in line, regardless of bowling ability.

smash84

The Tiger King
I'm struck by how incredibly conservative the current England management have been: during the last 12 months from the start of the Pakistan series last summer, England have played 14 tests and called up only 14 players. One replacement was caused by the retirement of Collingwood, the other changes have been rotation of quick bowlers.

Of those 14 Tests, England have won nine, five of which by an innings, I think. In those 14 Tests, a four-man bowling attack has taken I think 241 wickets; the support bowlers (Collingwood, Trott and Pietersen) have added a total of 4, at a cumulative average of about 65.

So there is on paper absolutely zero evidence to support the idea of a five-man attack.

The weakest link in that time has been Strauss, who averages less than 30. Morgan averages a touch over 30.

If Trott can't play, the selectors will pick for a batsman to take his place, not a bowler. They might take the ability to send down a few overs into account, but it's not important. Trott on average bowled five overs a match, taking Collingwood's place who typically bowled a bit less than that during this timeframe. Pietersen on average bowls two.

Bresnan might get the call ahead of Tremlett depending on fitness, but the remaining place will almost certainly go to the next pure batsman in line, regardless of bowling ability.
Cook hasn't been all that great barring the Ashes I think. I do think that he is quite over rated around here. Was found out by the Pakistani attack and now falling to the Indian bowlers

Jacknife

International Captain
Cook hasn't been all that great barring the Ashes I think. I do think that he is quite over rated around here. Was found out by the Pakistani attack and now falling to the Indian bowlers
You forgot he was awsome against SL and it wasn't like any batsman barring Trott found the conditions last year easy, even though he did get a ton against Pakistan.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I am starting to worry that Strauss' problem is terminal. Hopefully he's just going through one of his bad spells, and not a Vaughan-esque fall from grace - he doesn't look out of touch but isn't converting, which is the worrying thing. Strange how our openers have performed so poorly and yet the team is going so well - I thought they would be vital this series but it isn't proving to be the case.