• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha, this is so huge.

Backing Johnson to take all 20 and Watto to ton up three times. (faceeeeeeee)

pup11

International Coach
I see what you're saying but don't think they'll go that way. Only because the Aussies seem to regard number 4 as some sort of hallowed black-belt of seniority. Pup moving back up is a promotion not just in batting order terms, if ya know what I mean.

Agreed Watto naturally needs to bat high, though. When Ponting gives it a way, I'd guess he'd be a monty for his spot.
Why are we all assuming that Watto won't open the batting, he had openly suggested that he would be more than keen to open the innings if required, and Nielsen too shared similar views, and with Hughes now out of the frame, it would hardly be surprising if he opens the innings.

Hussey after Hayden' retirement mentioned that he doesn't want to open the innings, and he is much more comfortable with in middle order with his re-developed batting style, so its very unlikely that he would open now, and that too when he struggling for runs.

As baffling as dropping Hughes might be, but if they wanted to go ahead and drop him, atleast they could replaced him with someone like Rogers, who atleast is a natural opener.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Really hoping there's at least some play. Hopefully The Kat will get injured, and then the pattato XI is one step closer...

four_or_six - I will pay monies for a copy.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Why are we all assuming that Watto won't open the batting, he had openly suggested that he would be more than keen to open the innings if required, and Nielsen too shared similar views, and with Hughes now out of the frame, it would hardly be surprising if he opens the innings.
I just made an off the hand comment about there being no confirmation that Watto would open yet and I thought Hussey was in with a chance, on which Corey commented on and I responded, so calm the **** down hey.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really hoping there's at least some play. Hopefully The Kat will get injured, and then the pattato XI is one step closer...

four_or_six - I will pay monies for a copy.
They just crossed live to Edgbaston on Sky News and the weather is fine, outfield is drying quickly and they expect play to start on time

On Hughes, I dont have a problem with his omission as I'm not a fan of his technique

What I do have a problem with is that of the people in England who are qualified to open with Kat, none of them are called Shane Watson

If they needed a new opener, then they should've called up Chris Rodgers, Jason Langer or, at a stretch, moved Hussey up

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well an amazing tranformation over night. The groundsmen have been working non stop and its sunny and breezy this morning, play will likely start on time barring any more rain.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't believe they're thinking of dropping hughes...wasn't it only 3 tests ago he was going to be the next Bradman?

ripper868

International Coach
If they needed a new opener, then they should've called up Chris Rodgers, Jason Langer or, at a stretch, moved Hussey up
Can't say I know any Rodgers or Jason Langers who are high up in Australian cricket circles.

Frankly i think Warne should be recalled, for his mental impact if nothing else.

JBH001

International Regular
So whats the weather like over Edgbaston? Just wondering if its worth staying up for this, because its been a hell of a day, and I have an early start tomorrow.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The more I think about it... this has to be a rumour, surely? Watson in but no Clark... seems very far-fetched.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Starting on time looks unlikely though not impossible last I checked on SSN. Forecast suggests plenty of play will happen, just that very few of the days will actually see a full allocation. As much as a draw seems likely, I'm backing Jimmeh to wreak havoc in these conditions tbh, England ftw by tea on Monday