• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Bloody England. "hmmm it nevers rains here, so let's build a ground that retains fluid like Aunt Gladys". How you managed to knock off the French, Spanish and Germans for centuries remains a mystery. :p
Sending in the Anzacs to do our dirty work

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looks as though the Aussies are going to drop Hughes..

News reports this morning are saying that sources from inside the camp are saying Hughes will be replaced by Watson at the top of the order...
After the reaction I got to posting about Karmichael Hunt early yesterday morning, I'll refrain from the obvious laughter smilies, but if they do that then

howardj

International Coach
Looks as though the Aussies are going to drop Hughes..

News reports this morning are saying that sources from inside the camp are saying Hughes will be replaced by Watson at the top of the order...
My operatives have heard nothing of this nonsense.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matt, this is one of our wettest July's in the last 100 years. 2007 was the wettest ever July and this one is only about 3-4% behind that one, maybe even break the record yet. Just a shame you didn't play last week as the weather was better then!
Yeah, been unbelievably bad this month (and I remember 2007 well, and it was bloody awful too). Oddest thing was that April, May and June were all by-and-large really good.

One thing to look on the bright side about - in 2007, August was not too bad at all. The original prediction for August 2009 was heatwave; that's now been downgraded, but there's hope yet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ridiculous. Absolutely nothing going for that whatsoever.

You prefer a man who's done nothing on the handful of occasions he's opened for his state to the man who's made runs opening at every single level he's played at, and happens to have got out to a few short balls of late.

Of course if Watson scores anything much it'll become a good decision in the mind of most but AFAIC it's a diabolical error and nothing whatsoever will change that - including Watson making a chanceless 287*.

Top_Cat

haha, I see the Coxinator has made his presence felt already.

EDIT: Shocked that the SMH website hasn't picked this up.

Last edited:

Simon

What a ridiculous decision, we have always know Hughes is going to be prone to a few low scores, he bats ugly. He's never going to the sort of guy to make 50's and 60's, I think we will see a career of big hundreds and little else, wouldnt surprise me if he ends up with a conversion rate of something like 38 hundreds 25 fifties.

Honestly of all the selection screw ups that have been made in the last three years this will be the worst. Watson is a gun player and will probably do well but this could set Hughes back a lot potentially.

Top_Cat

50 on Watson slipping on the wet outfield and breaking his leg
Right now, he's more likely to drown.

My initial reaction was right in line with what everyone here is saying. The more I think about it, though, the more I don't mind it. Watto seems to bat his worst when he comes in under the pump and has to shelve his natural play (e.g. India last year; looked clueless coming in at 7). Batting him first with Mr Stability at the other end has a decent chance of freeing him up to just play his natural game, which is when he plays best. Not saying this guarantees success but, without having to bowl, he's in with a better shot than batting him at 6 and not bowling.

That said, it's a confusing selection in other ways.

EDIT: Still no mention on the SMH site. Whenever there's something happening to a NSW player, they're usually all over it. Wonder if this was just a rumour?

Last edited:

Burgey

My initial reaction was right in line with what everyone here is saying. The more I think about it, though, the more I don't mind it. Watto seems to bat his worst when he comes in under the pump and has to shelve his natural play (e.g. India last year; looked clueless coming in at 7). Batting him first with Mr Stability at the other end has a decent chance of freeing him up to just play his natural game, which is when he plays best. Not saying this guarantees success but, without having to bowl, he's in with a better shot than batting him at 6 and not bowling.

EDIT: Still no mention on the SMH site. Whenever there's something happening to a NSW player, they're usually all over it. Wonder if this was just a rumour?
It's on Cricinfo.

pup11

International Coach

I don't agree with this, Watto is a pretty good middle-order batsman and I would like to see to see him in the team, but opening the batting isn't his thing AFAIC, and dropping Hughesy to accommodate him in the side isn't fair at all.

I mean Hughesy has had just three bad innings and he is on the verge of being dropped (or is dropped, if this report is to be believed), now that's pretty ridiculous, I would have atleast given him one more test to prove himself in these conditions, he has shown how he can virtually win you games single handedly in South Africa, and his performances in the FC arena too have been top notch.

So when you consider all that, then surely he has done more then enough to deserve a longer run than this, and I seriously hope he doesn't get dropped for the 3rd test.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'm still not convinced Watto will open, reckon he might slip to 4 and Huss might move up, just quietly. No article I've read so far confirms that he'll actually open.