• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I understand that, but it was none of those things. He hit it behind himself and it was 100% accidental.
yes it was all of those things, no one said it wasn't accidental, it clearly was but what he did was petulant, arrogant and showed a blatant disregard for the others that shared the court with him...he is one of the most experienced players out there and the world's top ranked one at that, the face of men's tennis and to top it all, has had close shaves of this kind in the past...to say he should have known better would be the understatement of the century...

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yes it was all of those things, no one said it wasn't accidental, it clearly was but what he did was petulant, arrogant and showed a blatant disregard for the others that shared the court with him...he is one of the most experienced players out there and the world's top ranked one at that, the face of men's tennis and to top it all, has had close shaves of this kind in the past...to say he should have known better would be the understatement of the century...
This is true for a lot of different things players do on court for which they aren't given such a punishment. Let's not pretend these rules have any room for nuance.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
This is true for a lot of different things players do on court for which they aren't given such a punishment. Let's not pretend these rules have any room for nuance.
what are those other different things that players do that threaten the physical safety of others (through reckless or violent behavior) where they aren’t given the same punishment?

harsh.ag

what are those other different things that players do that threaten the physical safety of others (through reckless or violent behavior)?
You didn't include threaten the physical safety of others in your initial statement.

But my point about nuance mostly is that it seems the rule penalizes bad luck, not bad behaviour. The exact same behaviour with the ball not hitting the judge would not be punished. Given the absence of intent, that's pretty lame.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Look at the video, its not even one of those gentle lobs for a ball boy to catch, he genuinely ****s his wrist back and hits it flush. Aany and all sympathy should be for the line judge not novak.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Look at the video, its not even one of those gentle lobs for a ball boy to catch, he genuinely ****s his wrist back and hits it flush. Aany and all sympathy should be for the line judge not novak.
It's quite a long way from a full blooded hit, IMHO.

Not that that mitigates it at all.

Line judge maybe went down a little easy?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Line judge maybe went down a little easy?
My thoughts when I first saw it. Probably as much shock as anything. Possible law suit coming up?

Too many tennis "stars" have been getting away with poor behaviour for too long. They certainly aren't good role models for younger players.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Got hit flush in the throat without anticipating it at all. Can understand why she went down.

harsh.ag

A new GS champion, finally! Will be fun to watch a Zverev-Thiem final. Really like the look of Auger-Aliassime too.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
A new GS champion, finally! Will be fun to watch a Zverev-Thiem final. Really like the look of Auger-Aliassime too.
Out of those remaining would want Auger-Aliassime to win although he's already surpassed expectations already for this slam imo and whilst I'd want it to happen don't think it will yet. Was really impressed in the bits of his match I saw vs Moutet and by all accounts played well against Murray. Although Thiem 'deserves' a grand slam most I think - 3 grand slam finals and 2 semi finals in the last 16 Grand Slams before this is better then most could achieve, couldn't begrudge him a grand slam if he was to win one.

Good chance for Carreno-Busta to reach the final not so much because I think he is amazing, although he is a solid player and that might help if the pressure of having a better chance then ever and probably best chance you'll get for the next couple years to win a Grand Slam plays on a few minds but never really fancy Zverev to do amazingly well and Shapavalov is very hit and miss - Having said that I do need to remind myself Zverev is only 23 when judging him, he's been around a while so feels like he's closer to 25/26.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
You didn't include threaten the physical safety of others in your initial statement.

But my point about nuance mostly is that it seems the rule penalizes bad luck, not bad behaviour. The exact same behaviour with the ball not hitting the judge would not be punished. Given the absence of intent, that's pretty lame.
physical safety is what is being discussed here and that's clearly what i meant...

also it absolutely penalizes bad behavior, as it did in this case, i would argue it doesn't go far enough...like that racquet bounce of his a few years back that almost hit a line judge and similar incidents with other players, those should be penalized a point or a set or something substantial like that and when these actions actually hurt someone, throw the player out like what happened yesterday...

Last edited:

harsh.ag

also it absolutely penalizes bad behavior, as it did in this case, i would argue it doesn't go far enough...like that racquet bounce of his a few years back that almost hit a line judge and similar incidents with other players, those should be penalized a point or a set or something substantial like that and when these actions actually hurt someone, throw the player out like what happened yesterday...
This post seems to agree with my "no nuance" position, but you seem to want to post it in an antagonistic manner for some reason.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
This post seems to agree with my "no nuance" position, but you seem to want to post it in an antagonistic manner for some reason.
i don't agree with your contention that the rule as it stands doesn't penalize bad behavior...also it looked like you were saying because the rule doesn't cover enough scenarios that it is somehow unfair as it stands...that's not what i am saying at all...i would also term it the incompleteness of the rule rather than a lack of nuance.

harsh.ag

i don't agree with your contention that the rule as it stands doesn't penalize bad behavior...also it looked like you were saying because the rule doesn't cover enough scenarios that it is somehow unfair as it stands...that's not what i am saying at all...i would also term it the incompleteness of the rule rather than a lack of nuance.
Look, examples like that earlier racket bounce is both about incompleteness and lack of nuance. If the judge ducks and it doesn't hit him, and there is no punishment, you aren't punishing bad behaviour. I didn't say it never penalizes bad behaviour.

The part in bold is something you're conjuring up and I don't appreciate the needless hostility.