• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
A couple of decent looking finals despite all the withdrawals and acts of stupidity, and a new Grand Slam Champion on the men’s side.

Thiem v Zverev
Osaka v Azarenka

Only four Grand Slams between all of them.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty amazing to see Azarenka back in a Grand Slam final for the first time in seven years, and she's been through a fair bit in between times. Great comeback, even if she can't get past Osaka in the final.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Always a sucker for a good OHBH, so I'll be cheering for Thiem. He's been the most consistent of the NextGen and generally been denied time and again by Rafa/Djokovic. Zverev's also finally made a deep Slam run, but he can wait a bit longer.

Niall

International Coach
Go Zverev :)
That semi and quarter he played was so bad. Busta in a semi final again really is not good. Nice dude but ****ing hell highlights the lack of depth in the men's side.

Med v Thiem never took off either sadly.

Ladies semis were very good though.

Think both finals will be good, hope Thiem gets it done, dont care about the ladies as much. If pushed lets go Aza, Sabalanka, Muchova, Mertens, Serena and Osaka .,,,what an effort to win a slam that would be.

Niall

International Coach
Yeah I thought Azarenka was pretty disliked. Who cares though, Naomi own zone.

Saba
Muchova
Mertens
Serena

That's a hell of a road to a slam final and tbf she has won **** all recently so absence makes heart etc.

Just remembered she dated a dude from LMFAO and never poisoned him....what a wretch.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Saba
Muchova
Mertens
Serena

That's a hell of a road to a slam final and tbf she has won **** all recently so absence makes heart etc.

Just remembered she dated a dude from LMFAO and never poisoned him....what a wretch.
Is it really that great, I mean Sabalenka has disappointed out of china really, muchova meh, Mertens looks good at times never consistent, and Serena really isn't what she was, and playing a few 3-setters was always going to be a problem for her.

Look I get the nostalgia thing, but she's always beenkinda irritating, and naomi stood up for what she believes in the bLM thing, which must have put more pressure on her.

Blimey tennis needs fresh blood, a few new names that will be known outside tennis circles, this stagnation is wholly depressing, and as much as Osta and Barty winning one or 2 is nice, you need someone with personality that can get their name known out of the tennis bubble, Osaka is that person.

Will be nice to get a new men's Champion I suppose, Cilic the youngest slam winner around now will be 32 soon, but it comes with so many astericks, it;s likely to be forgotten as soon as Nadal wins his umpteenth french.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
never liked azarenka, don't see any reason to change that now, glad osaka won...hope thiem takes the men's trophy...he has really been the only one in the nextgen group who looked like breaking out and actually achieving something...he deserves this...

Niall

International Coach
She wasn't that liked though when she was bossing it, her game while really good not the ***iest and not
Is it really that great, I mean Sabalenka has disappointed out of china really, muchova meh, Mertens looks good at times never consistent, and Serena really isn't what she was, and playing a few 3-setters was always going to be a problem for her.

Look I get the nostalgia thing, but she's always beenkinda irritating, and naomi stood up for what she believes in the bLM thing, which must have put more pressure on her.

Blimey tennis needs fresh blood, a few new names that will be known outside tennis circles, this stagnation is wholly depressing, and as much as Osta and Barty winning one or 2 is nice, you need someone with personality that can get their name known out of the tennis bubble, Osaka is that person.

Will be nice to get a new men's Champion I suppose, Cilic the youngest slam winner around now will be 32 soon, but it comes with so many astericks, it;s likely to be forgotten as soon as Nadal wins his umpteenth french.

Maybe gave her opponents more credit than they deserve, but Muchova is very tricky and Mertens has been on form and smashed up Kenin while Serena was playing with serious swagger in that semi. Saba yeah fair enough, needs a new coach asap looked a star a few years ago but looks like another ball basher who may go nowhere.

New men's champ,,,Rusedski etc creaming themselves over what was a very poor final, fun but the quality was so low especially that horrific match tie break. Thankfully Thiem is much better than what we seen tonight.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
never liked azarenka, don't see any reason to change that now, glad osaka won...hope thiem takes the men's trophy...he has really been the only one in the nextgen group who looked like breaking out and actually achieving something...he deserves this...
Happy for Thiem - a deserved winner (would've felt sad for Thiem if Zverev who I don't rate particularly highly - so much so I had Carreno-Busta to reach the final - came in and waltzed to a Grand Slam that Thiem has been far closer to winning on multiple occassions). Although in slight defence of nextgen Thiem is 27 so has a bit more experience on his side I guess but certainly agree that he's been the standout of those outside top 3 in the last couple years since injury problems for Murray/Delpo/Wawrinka.

How many Grand Slams do we see Thiem winning in the future? Arguably the best player on clay once Rafa retires and once the big 3 retire he'll be the senior statesman - my guess would be 7 - think at least 4 of those will probably be at Roland Garros

Congrats to Osaka as well a big fan of hers and think that fightback really showed great guts - Azarenka's level dropped but think the commentary overplayed it especially Hantuchova in the studio - the better players make you play at a higher level that's harder to sustain and when it dropped slightly Osaka was good enough to take advantage showing her own quality.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Just seen the Italian Open draw - Azarenka v Venus Williams in Round 1 with winner to play Sofia Kenin! Muguruza v Stephens too. Potentially Wawrinka v Nishikori in 2nd round in the mens will be following with interest!