• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* T20 and ODI matches

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Would they? if Ravi wasn't in the team today, someone else would have been in his place, what's to say that player wouldn't have taken us to a win, just saying.
Especially if that player was Morgan. But full credit to Bopara, if he'd hit that final ball slightly better he would have been a hero. Just goes to show the small margins in cricket.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I haven't seen the finish, was it clear to Ravi that had he taken a single off the last ball they'd have been ahead on d/l? Was it obvious before his shot they'd be going off soonish?

Because if it wasn't, very hard to blame him I'd say. Again, haven't seen it though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But Ravi did lead us to a tie.

However, he ran out Swann (his call) and then smacked one to deep mid-wicket in consecutive balls. If either of those had just been dots, England would have won.
Hmm, firstly I always thought if it's hit in front of the wicket it's the batsman's call, and secondly they were taking asingle there regardless of whose call it was - was just unfortunate that as Swann ran he kicked the ball towards Munaf.

Oh, and finally if the 2 balls had been dots then it would still have been a tie.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I haven't seen the finish, was it clear to Ravi that had he taken a single off the last ball they'd have been ahead on d/l? Was it obvious before his shot they'd be going off soonish?
The D/L target was on the scoreboard, but at the same point, nobody knew when they'd go off, and considering they'd stayed on in basically unplayable conditions for the rest of that over, I suspect the batsmen were playing it as going to the end of the 50 overs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The D/L target was on the scoreboard, but at the same point, nobody knew when they'd go off, and considering they'd stayed on in basically unplayable conditions for the rest of that over, I suspect the batsmen were playing it as going to the end of the 50 overs.
Was it not the case that the D/L score on the board was the par score for the end of the over?

Towards the end Sky were giving us ball by ball updates on what the par score now stood at but I don't know if the players were getting that info.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bopara, the man responsible for rescuing England's chase from 61 for 3, revealed he was aware of the D/L par score "over-by-over but not ball-by-ball." Until he decided to swing Munaf over the deep midwicket, Bopara had played his shots with care, compsure and confidence. But he said he had to take a chance to make sure England did not panic in the final over.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Was it not the case that the D/L score on the board was the par score for the end of the over?
The bit I saw had Sky saying the board was being updated ball by ball. Of course there was added confusion as to whether that score was par or the score needed to win.
Regardless of that 2 dots would've had the same effect as 2 wickets.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think Bopara made the right decision to try and smack one, he had been doing okay to just get Swann on strike while he was striking it well, presumably his thinking was that he would take over in case Swann got out.

So with Finn at the other end it made sense to try and hit a boundary then and there, and the final over could just be picked for singles. You never want to be in need of boundaries in the final over, that's what we were all ranting at when Bopara nearly messed up the T20 chase.

He could have known the par score, but he couldn't have known when they'd go off. They were basically playing in the rain anyway and he probably assumed they would play on regardless for the final over. I would.

The important bit, though, isn't the decision to go for the shot, it was the fact that when push came to shove he just didn't do it properly.

Hogey

Cricket Spectator
In fairness, as a neutral, both rained off games would have gone to India despite their ridiculously bad attack. England got off lucky.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
was this a tie because the last ball of that over was not bowled? Or did they just change the rules after the SA game in the WC in 2003 to indicate that if you are at the par score it is a tie?

Either way, it was a lot of fun to see the gamesmanship from both sides and fittingly neither won. India deserve to not win coz of carrying that useless piece of **** Munaf with the side and for how bad RP was bowling around the wicket (and no one had the sense to ask him to change his line of attack, just for once).... I really hope DRavid and Munaf are dropped for the final game and blokes like Tiwary, Badri and Aaron are given a shot. We have lost the series anyways and one more loss is not gonna hurt this much...

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
I missed all of this (had a rather splendid day at Castle Donnington) so had to follow the drama via the phone.

Is it true that Bopara was being booed during his innings?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
England were robbed in my opinion, but had play continued in those conditions they'd have probably lost.

Make sense of that! Some really poor and weak umpiring!

Play should have been suspended just before Swann's dismissal. At that point, it was not fit for cricket. Had normal conditions been available and no threat of rain, England would have coasted to victory. But with the D/L threat, slippery surface and horrendous light, England were right up against it in unfit conditions for cricket.

Not to mention the fact we saw an incredibly worrying sight just before they went off the 1st time. MS Dhoni just stood there almost refusing to let his bowler deliver a ball, pretending to adjust the field, until the Umpires took the players off. It was a Mexican stand-off and the Umpires caved in.

That was unsporting from Dhoni, I'd call it straight up cheating. If you are that sad and desperate to win a sport, then take up darts!

Bopara took us to a tie (not quite single-handedly), but ultimately cost us a win with his brainless antics late on. Credit to Bell, Brez and Swanny too!

P.S. Drop Stokes, he's not ready!
What about Swann wandering to square leg and signalling to the pavilion for gloves when he had just come in 10 mins back??? There is a word for all this.. not cheating, but gamesmanship. Neither team were exactly breaking rules, they were just stretching them in their favor.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bopara, the man responsible for rescuing England's chase from 61 for 3, revealed he was aware of the D/L par score "over-by-over but not ball-by-ball." Until he decided to swing Munaf over the deep midwicket, Bopara had played his shots with care, compsure and confidence. But he said he had to take a chance to make sure England did not panic in the final over.
The innings didn't really change a great deal for me. We know he can bat against toothless bowling and it doesn't get much worse than this Indian attack barring Ashwin. All the momentum in the last 15 overs was coming from Bresnan and Swann. As soon as Bopara tried to up the rate he got out or simply missed the ball, he had that one in the 37th over that RP stuffed up - which is the sole boundary he managed in the last 19 overs of the innings. At the end he swung and missed a couple of times and got out. When the onus is on him he doesn't produce. He's a back-up player at best.

Spark

Global Moderator
What about Swann wandering to square leg and signalling to the pavilion for gloves when he had just come in 10 mins back??? There is a word for all this.. not cheating, but gamesmanship. Neither team were exactly breaking rules, they were just stretching them in their favor.
Precisely. There's really nothing seriously wrong that's been done on either side.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Apparantly Broad has torn a muscle, so his injury is fairly serious.

I think they'll replace him with Dernbach and try out Onions or someone else for Finn at Cardiff.

FBU

International Debutant
Apparantly Broad has torn a muscle, so his injury is fairly serious.

I think they'll replace him with Dernbach and try out Onions or someone else for Finn at Cardiff.
You can't have a tail of Dernbach, Finn and Anderson. Onions would be the same. I think Samit Patel will replace Broad.