• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in India

Woodster

International Captain
It's a shame the game petered out into a high scoring bit of a bore draw, the pitch seemed as though it may deteriorate and assist the spinners in the latter stages of the Test, but it just didn't. There was turn, and plenty of it, but the sheer slowness of the pitch meant it was exceptionally easy for the batsmen to make the necessary adjustments. These are not good cricket wickets.

Thought Herath was probably the pick of the spinners throughout the game. He was consistent in his areas and offered more threat than Murali who looked a shadow of his former self. Harbhajan was largely ineffective, while Mishra lacked the consistent control to build any kind of pressure. Capable of some outstanding deliveries, but far too many boundary balls.

I thought Dammika Prasad was impressive in certain spells, he runs in hard and bangs the ball in, even on a pitch as unhelpful as this one.

Dissector

International Debutant
I honestly don't understand the logic of giving tests to cities like Kanpur. The top 4-5 cities in India generally produce decent test crowds and often good matches as well. Cities like Kanpur will produce a pitiable test crowd which makes watching the game on TV less enjoyable as well. Why not keep tests in the biggest cities and give places like Kanpur,Mohali and Nagpur more ODI's and T-20's instead?

Seriously along with the pitches this crap is going kill test cricket in India. I am half beginning to believe that the plan is to destroy test cricket and have a 6 month IPL.:(

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Test matches should be reserved to a few grounds and let ODIs be played all over India. Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Delhi and Mumbai should host all tests IMO.Actually something like not allotting tests to grounds which don't fill up atleast 50% of the seats should be implemented.

Last edited:
Lots of criticism of Dhoni's captancy in the press - mainly how defensive he is

He is obviously worth his place in the side but much of 2009 has been pretty horrible for the Indian team and it wouldnt surprise if the murmurs become a rumble if they lose this series
He became only the second Indian captain to win a test series in the New Zealand
- first Indian skipper to ever win a odi series in new zealand
- hammered sri lanka 4-1 in a odi series at home
- became only the second indian skipper to win a odi series in the Caribbean
- won a odi tournament in Sri lanka

Against that:
- lost a home series to the Aussies - where really had his team kept their nerve - should have won it. They certainly had their opportunities to do so.
- first round eliminations in the 20-20 wc and the champions trophy (where India were missing three front line players and really went out on the back of one loss)

Hardly a "horrible" year.

Disagree with this. I've seen nothing over the years that suggest India suit sprightly wickets in anyway whatsoever. Of course the classic example going back a few years was their tour of NZ in 2002 (admittedly 7 yrs ago) when they had that supposed million dollar batting lineup & were all at sea against an relatively average NZ attack on those green decks.
Won at Sabina Park and JoBurg on pretty juicy wickets.

Also won at Trent Bridge where England found Zaheer Khan virtually unplayable and at Perth (where no subcontinent team has ever done so).

India's pace attack has definitely improved considerably from the early 2000's - Zaheer, Munaf, Ishant and Sreesanth are surely the best seam attack India has ever produced.

Sir Alex

Banned
Yesterday was one of those days when watching cricket reduced to just satiating one's fanboy appetite. I loved Tendulkar's ton which was typical - zero risk, brisk, and chanceless. However I would have gladly traded that 100 with a result.

Majic

Cricket Spectator
Pitches like these are killing test matches tbh, though the pitch was looking to deteriorate and help the spin bowlers in the last few days of the match it was a shame to see that the match couldn't end with a result.

Sachin scored a very gutsy century but other than that the last day of the test match was plain dead boring. Laxman's innings was a fine example of this.

Shri

Mr. Glass
If the curators prepare a result pitch, they are reported to be bad pitches to the ICC by the match referee. Then ICC comes out and reprimands the concerned people. How can we then expect the curators to prepare pitches as they should be prepared if the curators are punished for preparing a good pitch? Serves the morons in the ICC right for what they did.

Personally I enjoy seeing raging turners myself. Its quite funny sometimes to see the supposedly world's best batsmen hop all around the pitch having no clue of how to play Kumble and other sub-continental spinners.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He became only the second Indian captain to win a test series in the New Zealand
- first Indian skipper to ever win a odi series in new zealand
- hammered sri lanka 4-1 in a odi series at home
- became only the second indian skipper to win a odi series in the Caribbean
- won a odi tournament in Sri lanka

Against that:
- lost a home series to the Aussies - where really had his team kept their nerve - should have won it. They certainly had their opportunities to do so.
- first round eliminations in the 20-20 wc and the champions trophy (where India were missing three front line players and really went out on the back of one loss)

Hardly a "horrible" year.
Hope your joking

Beating an injury-decimated NZ hardly makes up for being humiliated at 2 major tournaments, being beaten by a B team, seeing your mostpromising player go backwards and fielding an attack with less teeth than a gummy bear

Sir Alex

Banned
Hope your joking

Beating an injury-decimated NZ hardly makes up for being humiliated at 2 major tournaments, being beaten by a B team, seeing your mostpromising player go backwards and fielding an attack with less teeth than a gummy bear
India were also having injuries. Zaheer, Sehwag and Yuvraj and hence the early outser from CT. Also the Aus-Ind series was much closer than the final scoreline said, most India could have won atleast 2 of them.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Remarkable statistic, and underlines how effective a player Rahul Dravid is: Only one of Dravid’s 27 centuries was made in a game India lost

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
If the pitches in India are like these.. even an average player can score over 10000 runs in test cricket

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
lol... I am sure the BCCI and Kumble would have wanted THIS track against RSA and THAT track against SL... :p
And would have been curtains for India in that case, as the way Welagedara and Prasad bowled. And Mathews would have been very much effective as well. Generally SL seamers easily outdid their Indian counterparts.