• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in India

Jayawardene is the most mediocre batsman to have scored more than 7000 runs. In SA, NZ and England - both have failed. In Australia, Sehwag averages close to 60 and Mahela failed there as well.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I'll agree with that of course. However Mahela has scored heavily when he's set, and averages more. And currently he's #1 in ICC rankings, and the highest Sehwag ever reached was #2. The following two graphs will tell how they have achieved ICC points and will give an good account on who's better.

Sehwag vs Jayawardene, test batting
That graph can be summed as -

Jayawardene has the higher peak which you rightly pointed out.

Sehwag has a larger stretch at above 750 compared to Jayawardene.

Jayawardene has been more consistent in his career and is on the up as a batsman.

Sehwag is going through a decline of sorts.

If you value consistency, you will pick Jayawardene, if you value match winning knocks, you will pick Sehwag imo. Both are different kinds of players.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hmm, Sehwag has holes in his career, no doubt. But I doubt you'd find many teams preferring to bowl to Sehwag over Jayawardene. Even in bowler friendly conditions.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, Sehwag has holes in his career, no doubt. But I doubt you'd find many teams preferring to bowl to Sehwag over Jayawardene. Even in bowler friendly conditions.
What people want is not always an accurate judgement of what is best for them though.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Name one batsmen who has >7000 runs and who is worse than Jayawardene.
Alec Stewart, Stephen Fleming, Michael Atherton to name just three of the less disputable ones, then there is a whole load of others such as David Boon, Colin Cowdrey, Mark Taylor, Sourav Ganguly and Mark Waugh that cannot really have been said to be be better than Jayawardene and who I would rate below him.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Alec Stewart, Stephen Fleming, Michael Atherton to name just three of the less disputable ones, then there is a whole load of others such as David Boon, Colin Cowdrey, Mark Taylor, Sourav Ganguly and Mark Waugh that cannot really have been said to be be better than Jayawardene and who I would rate below him.
He said, name one.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What people want is not always an accurate judgement of what is best for them though.
Sure, but Sehwag isn't averaging 10 runs less than Jayawardene, where you can say "opinion of contemporaries is misleading" because the bowlers and captaints are just picking the guy who scores runs quicker agains them.

Here you have two batsmen who have been around a long time now, and have got similar records. Yet the majority of contemporaries would choose Sehwag as the better and more dangerous batsmen, and is more unique as well (he'd be top 3 openers of the last decade) compared to Mahela whose role can be filled by many others around in world cricket.

Mahela is a very very good cricketer, but I think he's a run below Sehwag.

I concede Stewart and Ganguly. Never seen some others like Cowdrey etc so can't comment. But in general, most batsmen who have more than 7k runs are better - Miandad, Sobers, Richards, Hayden, Lara, Ponting, Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Border, Dravid etc.

DingDong

State Captain
I concede Stewart and Ganguly. Never seen some others like Cowdrey etc so can't comment. But in general, most batsmen who have more than 7k runs are better - Miandad, Sobers, Richards, Hayden, Lara, Ponting, Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Border, Dravid etc.
hey buddy its not easy scoring 7000 runs ok. u need a bit of talent to score that many runs. i'd like to c u go out there and do better.

just stop with the nonsense ok.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Jayawardene is the most mediocre batsman to have scored more than 7000 runs. In SA, NZ and England - both have failed. In Australia, Sehwag averages close to 60 and Mahela failed there as well.
I have said before. Sehwag played in Perth, Brisbane, MCG, Adelaide and SCG. Mahela played in Carirs, Darwin, Brisbane, and Bellarive oval. Sehwag played 75% of his matches against Aussies on belters, where Mahela played almost every match under good bowling conditions. And BTW doing well only against one country does not make you better. FTR, Kapil averages less with the ball than Lillee against West Indies. On your argument Kapil > Lillie.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
And going by stats, Walagapudara and Prasad are not even close to Zaheer Khan or even Ishant Sharma for that matter.
But Malinga and Thushara are way better FTR. Admit it, SL has a better fastbowlin attack than India, and it has been like that for the past 10-12 years.

Sir Alex

Banned
But Malinga and Thushara are way better FTR. Admit it, SL has a better fastbowlin attack than India, and it has been like that for the past 10-12 years.
I think the only world class test fast bowler Sri Lanka ever had was Chaminda Vaas. India have had Javagal Srinath, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma etc who have caused more problems to the batsman than perhaps Vaas. Malinga is an exciting prospect but he has not done much in test cricket. Thushara is just average however I like him because he is handy with the bat. I actually wanted Kulasekara in the SL team because I rate him above the present seam lineup. He is accurate and has the sort of nippy pace that is dofficult to tackle on Indian surfaces. I also like him as a lower order batsman.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'd humbly suggest you purchase another book. To me, that's what Test cricket is all about. Sometimes you're forced to play a crazy spin track, sometimes a crazy seaming track, sometimes somewhere in the middle, and sometimes a pure batting track. They all test different skills and abilities. Sometimes there'll be crack where the ball spits, in other time it swings like a demon. And it means one team will be better at that type of track than the other. Tough cookies - get better, or retire and play ODIs.

It would be a shame if pitches lost that. If this was crap limited overs "cricket", where you just need to plant your front foot down, close your eyes, and stroke away to centuries, maybe those types of pitches would be bad.

Not here. Bring on the pitches where 110 is a par score, and where 400 is a par score. As long as it's a pitch where there is a result more times than not, it's what Test cricket is about.

If we played a series in India where every pitch was the one at Kanpur, and then went to New Zealand where every pitch was like the ones in 2002, I'd consider that an excellent season of cricket. Maybe with a few early season English/SA pitches thrown in for good measure.
Then why are you whining about a flat track????? :p