• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2016

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Bit of a mistake that even if he is out of form, Mendis has no business being in international cricket.
Nah Mendis is better than both Siri and Thiri. The real question was between Siri and Thiri. I thought SL could go with Siri because that'd give them the 2nd spinner - but the current combination is not too bad either as that has 6 bowling options.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah Mendis is better than both Siri and Thiri.
Mmh not sure about that, I remember from the NZ series he looked rather hackish albeit being overshadowed by Jayasundera.

Is there something to him beyond a 50+ score every seven innings?

91Jmay

International Coach
Reckon the Lankans could skittle us here if we aren't careful. Not a batting line up designed for these conditions.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Mmh not sure about that, I remember from the NZ series he looked rather hackish albeit being overshadowed by Jayasundera.

Is there something to him beyond a 50+ score every seven innings?
Mendis is better than Jayasundera and Alex Hales combined.

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
Hales just doesn't strike me a as a player who is cut out for Test cricket. Sure, he's a good batsman, but I don't think he's technically all there and neither is his mental game completely up to code. Won't last the summer IMO.

Stapel

International Regular
Hales not looking good. Slow rate is fine, but that LBW shout was not a bad one, he had a wild swing&miss, and he was saved by Mathews not using a third slip in English overcast conditions.

Stapel

International Regular
Hales just doesn't strike me a as a player who is cut out for Test cricket. Sure, he's a good batsman, but I don't think he's technically all there and neither is his mental game completely up to code. Won't last the summer IMO.
His 2014 FC record suggests otherwise. I felt he was quite promising. But surely not living up to it so far.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Borthwick should be close to getting a call-up, has averaged 40+ and scored 1000+ runs in each of the last 3 seasons, has also batted in NZ and Sri Lanka and done okay.

Bats at 3. If he played for a more fashionable team there'd be a lot of pressure to pick him. Obviously just scored two hundreds v Lancashire so has a good record for this season too.

The Home of CricketArchive

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
If Hales gets out now, the Compton-Cook partnership may take England to 100-1 after 75 overs, before rain ruins the match. :p

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Good start from England.

Is the SL keeper/cordon about a metre to far back? It seems with the pace of the SL bowlers the ball keeps on dipping just in front of the keeper. No problems yet, but can see some edges dropping short..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Looks a bit like it.

Sometimes speeds up as the day goes on, but no reason why they couldn't adjust themselves as that occurs.

Think the keeper wants to give himself more time with the wobbling ball too.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Chameera showing his inexperience with the poor length..come on lad, bowl it fuller, and get your bouncer targeting the neck when you do bowl it..

Groundking

International Debutant
Hales looking a lot better with the sun now out, but that was quite poor from Cook, just so sloppy.

I don't expect Compton to do much here TBH.