• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
Surely the Ashes is the most lucrative event for both boards?
Even if it was, it definitely won't be in a generation.

Cricket Australia has made it's agenda quite clear, 20/20 is their main focus going forward. They don't really care about the Test team, as they have shown by throwing it to the wolves with this scheduling they agreed to just so they can milk the Ashes a bit more while it's still around.

On the path Cricket Australia has Cricket on here the Test Cricket crowd will eventually die out, and the new 20/20 crowd will rise in its place. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in a fool's paradise.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Optimist.

He's an injury waiting to happen - as is Pattinson it appears.

And personally I feel that Pattinson's hype is ahead of the reality. In like for like conditions I'm content that Broad, Bresnan or Finn would beat him.
most English fans wouldn't posture that Broad is a better bowler than Pattinson, let alone Bresnan or Finn.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Even if it was, it definitely won't be in a generation.

Cricket Australia has made it's agenda quite clear, 20/20 is their main focus going forward. They don't really care about the Test team, as they have shown by throwing it to the wolves with this scheduling they agreed to just so they can milk the Ashes a bit more while it's still around.

On the path Cricket Australia has Cricket on here the Test Cricket crowd will eventually die out, and the new 20/20 crowd will rise in its place. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in a fool's paradise.
I think by pushing the BBL back a little it makes it a bit easier on the test team, but the main reason was to milk the school holidays as much as possible, I still hold hope that people will tire of t20, or that a balance will be struck, but you have to wonder whether world cricket boards (CA in particular) will facilitate it. Unless CA thinks it can maintain both tests and BBL as major summer attractions, but any BBL that lasts over 2 weeks is compromising the test team so I can't see it working.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
most English fans wouldn't posture that Broad is a better bowler than Pattinson, let alone Bresnan or Finn.
Only thing we would say is that we may pick our guys over Patto as Patto misses as many games as he plays. Has done since he played a test match and sadly looks like he will continue to do so.

Spark

Global Moderator
Only thing we would say is that we may pick our guys over Patto as Patto misses as many games as he plays. Has done since he played a test match and sadly looks like he will continue to do so.
He really should improve with time on the injury front, though. His action is about as smooth as you can get for a quick.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah yes another person who believes that two Tests are representative of a career.
You watched him in his other ten Tests, in which he took 40 wickets @ 23 bowling fast, hostile outswingers, and you think Finn and Bresnan would "beat him in like for like conditions"?

At this point I actually think it'd be far less embarrassing for you if you hadn't seen him play those games than if you had and still thought that. Your post really was just full of annoying, untrue cliches about a variety of players.
All a bit cruel and ad hominem, no?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He really should improve with time on the injury front, though. His action is about as smooth as you can get for a quick.
I do wonder what is the issue with his action which results in injuries. It seems to look good and all pointing straight down the wicket to me.

Spark

Global Moderator
I do wonder what is the issue with his action which results in injuries. It seems to look good and all pointing straight down the wicket to me.
He's young and he bowls 145kmh+. I think that's enough explanation.

morgieb

Yeah, as I said, how many quicks, particularly those that are young, have excellent injury records?

Not that many.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, as I said, how many quicks, particularly those that are young, have excellent injury records?

Not that many.
That is not to say that there is no problem with the actions and conditioning of these young bowlers. It is just that the problem is widespread. One will never make progress in any field if you resign yourself to a certain set of problems.

morgieb

Finn's isn't bad unless I've just forgotten about an injury he's had.
Yeah true, I didn't say there weren't any bowlers with good injury records, because there certainly are. Starc is the same age as Pattinson and IIRC hasn't had injury problems.

morgieb

That is not to say that there is no problem with the actions and conditioning of these young bowlers. It is just that the problem is widespread. One will never make progress in any field if you resign yourself to a certain set of problems.
Which IIRC was the logic behind the rotation policy, to stop these youngsters from breaking down all the time.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Which IIRC was the logic behind the rotation policy, to stop these youngsters from breaking down all the time.
Rotation seems sensible. However and I'm no doctor and this is a massive tangent, but I'm unsure how backs just fracture after x amount of time. A fracture as the result of wear-and-tear seems hard to understand from a layman's point of view. As in, I struggle to comprehend (and maybe this is my lack of medical expertise) how such a thing can occur without any signs that it is coming. Surely if bowling 50 overs rather than 25 overs in a Test match would not cause a fracture in one case and nothing in the other but rather something severe in the first case and less severe in the latter.

Do you see where I'm coming from here?

morgieb

Rotation seems sensible. However and I'm no doctor and this is a massive tangent, but I'm unsure how backs just fracture after x amount of time. A fracture as the result of wear-and-tear seems hard to understand from a layman's point of view. As in, I struggle to comprehend (and maybe this is my lack of medical expertise) how such a thing can occur without any signs that it is coming. Surely if bowling 50 overs rather than 25 overs in a Test match would not cause a fracture in one case and nothing in the other but rather something severe in the first case and less severe in the latter.

Do you see where I'm coming from here?
Yeah kinda, I know very little about sport science and fast bowling fitness, so I can only really go off what I've seen in cricket. Happy to be talked about the issues by people that more about the topic than me :)