• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Agar was picked on potential and out bowling Lyon in the nets and tour games. Then we saw his 98 before we saw him bowl which protected him from criticism. "He's only 19, he scored 98 and had a dream debut". Ok but he's a spin bowler and wasn't ready and has the bowling figures to show it. Lyon shouldn't have been dropped in India or here but obviously he's now not rated. I'd love to know what our spinner selection criteria is. Lyon is dumped cause a 19 year old has potential. That seems to me like they still think they can uncover another Warne. I'd hoped we had moved on from that.

I like Agar but in this side he is needed to bowl a lot of overs and given his age and short career he physically isn't up to it yet.
Fully agree with this.

Dropping Lyon after Dhoni had a blinder was ridiculous and makes me think the selectors weren't actually watching the game. He was bowling very nicely up until the point that one of the world's most powerful batsmen on slow wickets came to the crease.

Just silly.

At the very least, having Lyon for this test may have prevented the Pattinson injury.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Lyon knows what it takes to bowl at test level, he has also improved as a bowler from a few months ago I think. It was a little rushed putting Agar in, although Lyon has been fairly mediocre for a good 2 years now. Agar must go back to the shield now, while Lyon takes up duty

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I guess the same people who call Swann mediocre will call Lyon mediocre.

To some extent it's true (about both - they're not Saeed Ajmal), but it's also true that the current Western Hemisphere teams are so terrible at playing spin bowling that even mediocre offies should be able to average under 30 against them.

Stop searching for Warne. It's not happening.

the big bambino

International Captain
Swann looked a constant danger in this last test and I'm not really getting why people keep putting him down. Unless they be fishin'.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Well they should be searching for someone as good as Swann. And I think they already have it in Lyon.

All their bowlers have the potential to be as good or better than their English counterparts. Give them a total to bowl at and see what happens.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Benaud was a champion, we would be lucky to find him once every 25 years IMO, and finding them is not even half the trouble of creating another Benaud. Lyon is fine, Agar needs more time and Turner needs to prove his worth at state level, I'll make my decision on Fawad after the A tour but I honestly think he has the potential to be our leading spinner pretty soon, he should come into the reckoning for the Australian ashes leg if he has a decent start to the SS. Chances are Australia won't prepare dustbowls back home so spin won't be such an issue.

uvelocity

International Coach
its funny how the selectors havent learned any lessons despite being a completely new panel, in terms of dicking around spinners. they didnt even listen to huss' advice. he anointed lyon but they thought they knew better.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Worth mentioning Benords definitely didn't start off a champion; was basically a batting all-rounder/part-time bowler for half his Test career.

91Jmay

International Coach
Aha comparing Lyon to Swann as if they are of equal quality.

Swann in India 20 @24.74
Lyon in India 15 @ 37.33

GTFO you daft Aussie pricks. Lyon is probably better than Agar who is a complete pie bowler (his ceiling is Ashley Giles) but he isn't fit to lace Swann's boots.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah because he did nothing else really did he. What a ****e comparison, I compared two players who bowled at the same batsmen on the same pitches in the same year.

the big bambino

International Captain
:baby: No need to spit the dummy. :D Then compare them over their careers and you'd still make your point. The selective comparison invited the comment about Warne and the intended ridiculing of it.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah because he did nothing else really did he. What a ****e comparison, I compared two players who bowled at the same batsmen on the same pitches in the same year.
And you honestly think that disparity in averages is a true representation of where they stand as bowlers? Swann is definitely a better bowler (and why shouldn't he be given he has years of experience over Lyon), but the difference isn't nearly as vast as some of you are making.