• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Finals Thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh **** yeah. It's probably hard to notice when you're enmeshed in it, but it's basically all-pervasive in any discussion surrounding the game on here.
I dunno. When Croatia were being bashed, for example, I don’t think it was anyone English? A lot of the England fans on here follow ****e EFL cloggers, like my good self, we aren’t in a position to look down on styles of play. Grecian, Howe and myself all challenged the criticism of Croatia. But maybe I’ve just misunderstood the point.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not a fan of the same player taking 2 penalties in a game because the game theory behind going the second time round is too much of a distraction mentally IMO.

That's something that probably isn't borne out statistically to be fair but it adds an element of risk that doesn't need to be there IMO.
You can understand him stepping up though. He's the captain, scored his first one and if he handed it off to someone else and they missed, it would be a pretty bad look imo. Good on him for stepping up again.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think you can overthink these things every which way in any sport. To me, if you have a choice, the best person at the particular skill goes.

Shady Slim

International Coach
kane taking the second penalty shouldn't be anywhere near as much of a story as neymar wanting to be big mr hero man and not taking the early penalties against the vatreni imho

Burgey

Kane actually deadset seems like the sort of bloke who would always step up and take responsibility. He seems like a genuinely good bloke tbh.

By Pommy standards anyway.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
kane taking the second penalty shouldn't be anywhere near as much of a story as neymar wanting to be big mr hero man and not taking the early penalties against the vatreni imho
There's a logic to your main penalty taker going last tbf.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I’d personally never put them in a position where you risk them not taking one at all.
No I wouldn't either, I'd have them going first. There's also an argument for 3rd or 4th being a more crucial kick IMO, but if you get to the 5th kick it's always a 'must score' situation so you also want the bloke in 5th to be a strong taker, hence why I see the logic in leaving your best until last, even if I personally wouldn't do it.

Uppercut

It doesn’t really matter what order you put the penalty takers in for shoot-outs. If there’s someone you think is less affected by pressure you can make him go last. But the difference is meh. The commentators on the Brazil game just fell into a well known idiot trap.

I think taking Kane off penalties at any stage would be mad. He’s been very, very good at them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think taking Kane off penalties at any stage would be mad. He’s been very, very good at them.
I agree. I think a case can be made for him not to have taken the specific penalty he missed, but a lot of that is based on hindsight, and doesn't really factor in that there wasn't really a viable alternative on the park who could step up.

Uppercut

He’s also the least subtle elite penalty taker. He just hits it hard where the keeper can’t reach it and is good enough to get it right 85-90% of the time. There’s not a lot of psychology involved. And Lloris already knows everything there is to know about his penalties anyway.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There was a never a cat in hells chance of anyone else taking it.
Has there ever been a coach who has had a policy of one player not taking two penalties in the same match?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I doubt it.
Did Steven Gerrard score two and miss one for Liverpool against Man U once or have I imagined it?