• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Finals Thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think Potter or Howe would take the job if offered it. It’s not like Southgate really wanted the job when he took it. If Big Sam hadn’t been sacked after one game for misconduct we wouldn’t have had such a young team in 2018. He’d probably still have been picking Wayne Rooney. :santa:

Xuhaib

International Coach
England looked the best side to me in the world cup despite the loss yesterday.

Good thing is its a young team so are in with a decent shout for 24 and 26

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
England looked the best side to me in the world cup despite the loss yesterday.

Good thing is its a young team so are in with a decent shout for 24 and 26
We always hear this, but it never happens. 6 of the team that played yesterday played against Croatia in 2018 and are not likely to be peaking in four years time.

Xuhaib

International Coach
We always hear this, but it never happens. 6 of the team that played yesterday played against Croatia in 2018 and are not likely to be peaking in four years time.
Your best players Bellingham, Saka, Foden, Rice etc are stil young and yet to hit peak.

Mostly when England lose at this stage its a deserved loss where they are beaten by a better side not the case this time imo.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The best players are the younger players like Foden, Saka and Bellingham who'll be 2 years older and more experienced.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Kane shouldn’t have taken the 2nd penalty

he did the same vs Frankfurt two months ago and missed the 2nd pen after scoring 1st

this time he was up against the dude he has been practicing every week for years in club football too, odds didn’t favour him scoring another time
Sounds fair until you have to come up with alternatives. Rashford had missed one in the euros final, Henderson had missed one in the Columbia shoot-out during the last WC. Who else in the team takes penalties for his club side?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sounds fair until you have to come up with alternatives. Rashford had missed one in the euros final, Henderson had missed one in the Columbia shoot-out during the last WC. Who else in the team takes penalties for his club side?
I’d have given to Maguire, he’d have buried it like he did his Euros final effort

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The best players are the younger players like Foden, Saka and Bellingham who'll be 2 years older and more experienced.
Exactly what was said four years ago about some of the young players in 2018 in respect of 2022. It’s true we have a fairly decent crop of attacking players who could kick on, but we need a new back four.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Exactly what was said four years ago about some of the young players in 2018 in respect of 2022. It’s true we have a fairly decent crop of attacking players who could kick on, but we need a new back four.
Shaw will be 30, Stones will be 31 and Maguire will be 32. Walker will be 36, but James and Alexander-Arnold will be 26 and 27 respectively.
Beyond the current incumbents, Chilwell will be 29, as will Ben White.

For me, the bigger concern is the failure of some of the younger players to kick on at all. Lingard and Ali from 2018, Rashford's form dipped alarmingly until a few weeks ago. Sterling looks a busted flush nowadays, when he should be at the peak of his powers. Jadon Sancho's another.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Shaw will be 30, Stones will be 31 and Maguire will be 32. Walker will be 36, but James and Alexander-Arnold will be 26 and 27 respectively.
Beyond the current incumbents, Chilwell will be 29, as will Ben White.
If that’s supposed to be comforting, it isn’t. :santa:

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly what was said four years ago about some of the young players in 2018 in respect of 2022.
And to be fair, they were way better this year than in 2018. Just ran into a top side much earlier. Foden, Saka, Bellingham are all huge upgrades to that team.

My fear for 2024 and '26 is whether Kane will still be operating at this level given all his injury issues. He'll be much harder to replace than Maguire, say.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I seriously doubt Howe would take the job considering the long-term opportunity he has lined up with Newcastle (and potential money, let's be frank).

But also, stay the **** away.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well, now I would. But before the kick was actually taken?
Against any other keeper I’d have had no concerns but I did say at the time I was worried about Kane taking another…didn’t quite extend to me saying I didn’t want him to take it though

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well, now I would. But before the kick was actually taken?
I'm not a fan of the same player taking 2 penalties in a game because the game theory behind going the second time round is too much of a distraction mentally IMO.

That's something that probably isn't borne out statistically to be fair but it adds an element of risk that doesn't need to be there IMO.