• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This test match has been beautiful so far. What is it with Aussies and not making 3 figures this year? Truly bizarre.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I can't stand Katich's temprament. He bogs himself down until he either gets away with a loose shot or gets out playing it.

Tbf, he was unlucky that the catch was taken...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IMO It should have been Katich to go, I feel as though even though he made his ground before Watson, just before the stumps were broken he briefly wandered out of his crease with both feet out. Katich gone.
Looking at the replay again his back foot was still in the crease when the stumps were broken so Watson had to go.

Briony

International Debutant
Punter in ominous form though. A disappointing performance though from Pakistan - one wicket in two and a bit sessions is simply not good enough in test cricket no matter how diabolical this pitch is for a first day of a test match.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Katich's summer:

92, 80, 21, 99, 10, 98

Was a pretty ordinary 98 in all fairness. Disagree with Warne saying he deserved 100.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Kind of ridiculous that we cannot score centuries.

I have always been curious about learning the psychological significance of scoring 100. Obviously it is a lovely little milestone and contains 3 figures, but essentially it is just a number. You often hear "X-player needs to score a ton or he will be dropped etc". Could Australia's problem be that they are psychologically over-infatuated with scoring 100 rather than just accumulating runs, playing in the same way regardless of whether they are on 0, 25, 99 or 200?

Obviously different game situations require different ways of batting (eg. opening the batting, having a slog before a declaration, batting collapse is occuring) but players should bat according to the situation of the game, not the number of runs they have currently scored.

Briony

International Debutant
They're not scoring tons but nobody could argue with the Watson/Katich combination. And it's taken a lot of pressure off the likes of Hussey and North who usually come in and face tired bowlers and an even flatter pitch.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Kind of ridiculous that we cannot score centuries.

I have always been curious about learning the psychological significance of scoring 100. Obviously it is a lovely little milestone and contains 3 figures, but essentially it is just a number. You often hear "X-player needs to score a ton or he will be dropped etc". Could Australia's problem be that they are psychologically over-infatuated with scoring 100 rather than just accumulating runs, playing in the same way regardless of whether they are on 0, 25, 99 or 200?

Obviously different game situations require different ways of batting (eg. opening the batting, having a slog before a declaration, batting collapse is occuring) but players should bat according to the situation of the game, not the number of runs they have currently scored.
Benaud put it best after Watto got out: 'I'd have been quite happy adding a 93 to my 96'

If they stop obsessing about it, the 100s will naturally come.