• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really good bit of bowling.

Compton is going to be talked about regardless of what selectors do, if he makes it to the ashes he will be under massive scrutiny.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just on BMac keeping: if my memory serves one of the reasons he gave for his foresaking of the gauntlets was his back...?

Has he had a miracle cure since or was that just bollox?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Had a feeling before the summer even started that Compton would have a lean time of it against New Zealand but then, if persisted with, score crucial but infuriating runs in the Ashes, Alviro Petersen style. Looks like the first half of that prediction has come to fruition at the very least.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I still think someone has to actually be pushing for a place in the side before Compton's spot comes under total scrutiny. He's still done better than the alternatives have.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just on BMac keeping: if my memory serves one of the reasons he gave for his foresaking of the gauntlets was his back...?

Has he had a miracle cure since or was that just bollox?
He gave away the gloves in Test cricket because keeping consistently in both formats was taking its toll on his back and he feared it'd lead to early retirement. It was never a case of literally not being able to do it anymore without missing matches; he gave up the gloves to extend his longevity. Keeping for one Test shouldn't really matter as long as he doesn't have to do it permanently.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He gave away the gloves in Test cricket because keeping consistently in both formats was taking its toll on his back and he feared it'd lead to early retirement. It was never a case of literally not being able to do it anymore without missing matches; he gave up the gloves to extend his longevity.
Wants to get into Cribb's All Time NZ XI IMO :ph34r:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh my god can my "Television" please start working

flem what "television" are you using if you're on here?
Kippax's iSky. Incredibly (you being a teenage musician) I'd say we could possibly share a key with you, not sure. Give me a YT channel or something to PM.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ball to start moving more after 10 or so overs...any case to have Bracewell/Wagner open the bowling so that Southee/Boult get the best extended period of swing?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I still think someone has to actually be pushing for a place in the side before Compton's spot comes under total scrutiny. He's still done better than the alternatives have.
Sam Robson averaging very nearly or very actually 100+ for the season...

Plus with Root about we have another ready made opening option already in the XI.

He gave away the gloves in Test cricket because keeping consistently in both formats was taking its toll on his back and he feared it'd lead to early retirement. It was never a case of literally not being able to do it anymore without missing matches; he gave up the gloves to extend his longevity. Keeping for one Test shouldn't really matter as long as he doesn't have to do it permanently.
Ah, fair dos.

Team looks a better balance with him keeping tho, it must be said.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sam Robson averaging very nearly or very actually 100+ for the season...

Plus with Root about we have another ready made opening option already in the XI.

Ah, fair dos.

Team looks a better balance with him keeping tho, it must be said.
Yeah I made the argument at the time that New Zealand would get more value out of him as a keeper for another 3 years than as a batsman for another 5, but he's batted a lot better since he gave away the gloves so he's given me the finger really. :p

A fit Watling would make the side as a batsman ahead of Guptill anyway, and he's really improved with the gloves himself, so it's worked out okay for them.