• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
nah Southee's still NZ's best Test bowler and at this point he's better than Jimmy, but Jimmy in England with the Duke is a different proposition.

Both Southee and Boult should be better than Broad but you never know when Broad can have one of those games.
I have been somewhat amazed at how Boult's status has risen so dramatically that people actually think he is better than Southee. I rate Boult, always have, but Southee edges him and offers more IMO also has more skills. Boult will get there though. I mean I understand he had a good world cup, and has been consistent for a wee while now, but it's almost as if a left armer cleaning guys up seems to be more appealing than right armer nicking guys off. I just see Southee as having better plans with more relenting accuracy to make those plans work, not that he doesn't have his searching days, but I have seen Boult sans the new ball search quite a bit and stray in line. With that being said I still think (with bias of course) Southee and Boult offer far more than Anderson/Broad, but Anderson with the Duke is a bit of an Ace in the pack.

I also might be in the minority of NZ fans who isn't as worried prep wise as some of the others. Sure the batting definitely needs work but in reality the biggest problems that needed to be addressed were in the warm up games. I have no doubt that Bmac's game doesn't exactly change a whole lot regardless of conditions, and with regards to Kane, I have yet to come across someone who is more meticulous in his preparation, you can be sure that he would be doing EVERYTHING he can to make sure he is ready, excuses don't exist in his world. Bowlers will be fine IMO. I think we need not underestimate the professionalism of this NZ and how much Test cricket means to them, unfortunately that includes the IPL, its part and parcel of the international calendar.

I also don't believe the overseas conditions is as big a factor as people think when comparing countries like NZ and England, the conditions are not as different as say India vs England. The big difference is obviously the Duke and also the fact that red ball cricket has been out the picture, but like I said those that would most likely be affected by conditions have had the warm up games.

BTW, as life as a graphic designer/graphic design tutor has consumed me, I am absolutely frothing at the mouth for the first ball. There's just something about the start of the English summer, particularly at Lords that provides everything we love about the game.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think the big factor here could be the Watling vs. Buttler battle.

Now I'm a Buttler fan, but this is a class above any bowling he'll have faced in his Test career so far. His 'keeping is improving, but he can't afford to miss any chances if these games end up being relatively low-scoring. Watling has the experience and ability to make tough runs, while Buttler's career has primarily been downhill skiing thus far.

I honestly think that this head-to-head has the potential to change the course of the series.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nah Root is the best test batsman from either side by a margin
What margin is this? The skin of his teeth?

There's a decent argument for Root being > Williamson, (personally I'd go with Williamson slightly, but that could be bias) but there ain't no 'margin ' about it, either way.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I also don't believe the overseas conditions is as big a factor as people think when comparing countries like NZ and England, the conditions are not as different as say India vs England. The big difference is obviously the Duke and also the fact that red ball cricket has been out the picture, but like I said those that would most likely be affected by conditions have had the warm up games.
The one guy I'm concerned about is Corey Anderson given his fitness issues, and the fact he didn't bat and bowled all of 8 overs in the warmup game. These certainly aren't the ideal batting conditions for his game and I can see Jimmy and Broad giving him a rough time, on the other hand this tour could be very significant in his development as a test cricketer.

Don't know much about Mark Wood. Can someone fill me in about the kind of bowler he is?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The one guy I'm concerned about is Corey Anderson given his fitness issues, and the fact he didn't bat and bowled all of 8 overs in the warmup game. These certainly aren't the ideal batting conditions for his game and I can see Jimmy and Broad giving him a rough time, on the other hand this tour could be very significant in his development as a test cricketer.

Don't know much about Mark Wood. Can someone fill me in about the kind of bowler he is?
Pacy and Skiddish is the word on the street

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
Wouldn't be surprised to see Brendon McCullum in particular really go town on England's bowlers tomorrow morning should NZ win the toss. A rapid-fire Baz half-century would be the last thing England would want.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wouldn't be surprised to see Brendon McCullum in particular really go town on England's bowlers tomorrow morning should NZ win the toss. A rapid-fire Baz half-century would be the last thing England would want.
I'll feel a lot more confident of that happening if we're 150-3, or even 120-3, than 40-3. But yes you're right, if it's a relatively low-scoring Test which history tells us it's a chance of being, a quick 60 could be of immense help.

If there's one player I want to see go on the honours board though it's Kane. Needs to conjure up the sort of bloody mindedness that got Richardson on there.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Considering he'll be batting at 5, I'd be pretty surprised.

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
Considering he'll be batting at 5, I'd be pretty surprised.
The greatest impediment to saying smart things about cricket is not knowing things like this :\

Yeah, so a bit more unlikely.

EDIT: Last time I saw NZ play Test cricket, Baz was opening, and for some reason my mind hadn't clicked with all the news stories about NZ's potential opening pair.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Excited about this series. Will be wonderful to see Kane Williamson bat in English conditions, hopefully he gets some quality runs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
At the end of the day it's all white noise before the first ball is bowled.

NZ fans like me feel buoyed by our recent results across the board, there's a positive feel to this side, our batsmen are in previous Test match nick, as are our bowlers who will thrive with the Duke, our spinner is in great form, the KP distraction and touring teams always get up for Lord's. But then we're uncertain given particularly the batsmen's lack of preparation, the 61 all out last time at Lord's, and that niggling underdog psyche we haven't quite shaken off yet.

And England fans are probably a bit doom and gloom after recent results, but know their side is at least our measure on paper and have the bowling attack to knock us over very cheaply if things roll their way. A big day 1 day 2 for them, all of a sudden the KP stuff dissolves and the pressure is on us - the angle changes to the IPL being a thorn in our side (not sure if the English media ever cares too much about the tourists unless it's Australia).

Big toss tomorrow, me thinks. Two sets of bowlers wanting to get their hands on the ball, and two sets of batsmen who might fancy a run around first before facing up.
Love this assumption that because there's Duke balls for this series Southee and Boult are already on the honours board.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Love this assumption that because there's Duke balls for this series Southee and Boult are already on the honours board.
Admittedly Boult will love bowling to all the lefties (5?) in the top 7 but I reckon the wickets will also be shared around with Henry and Craig probably getting a few too, so don't know if anyone will make the HB

Flem274*

123/5
Southee already is on the honours board.

Pretty calm atm. Last time I was this calm aus thrashed us. Oh well, I've predicted2-0 either way so if the team who dropped a test to the sri lankan bowling attack beat us then fair enough, furball can continue channelling this new poor mans benchmark phase ;)

Last edited: