• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Did i really read someone saying Moeen is a better bowler tgan Craig on the last page...?
Scaly will point to his Test & FC average, which is fine. Craig's certainly a better pure off-spinner but then Ali has better stats.

It's certainly got more basis than Waddle saying Gup might not open because of where he batted in the netting order. There's zero chance he doesn't open tomorrow.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
At the end of the day it's all white noise before the first ball is bowled.

NZ fans like me feel buoyed by our recent results across the board, there's a positive feel to this side, our batsmen are in previous Test match nick, as are our bowlers who will thrive with the Duke, our spinner is in great form, the KP distraction and touring teams always get up for Lord's. But then we're uncertain given particularly the batsmen's lack of preparation, the 61 all out last time at Lord's, and that niggling underdog psyche we haven't quite shaken off yet.

And England fans are probably a bit doom and gloom after recent results, but know their side is at least our measure on paper and have the bowling attack to knock us over very cheaply if things roll their way. A big day 1 day 2 for them, all of a sudden the KP stuff dissolves and the pressure is on us - the angle changes to the IPL being a thorn in our side (not sure if the English media ever cares too much about the tourists unless it's Australia).

Big toss tomorrow, me thinks. Two sets of bowlers wanting to get their hands on the ball, and two sets of batsmen who might fancy a run around first before facing up.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly will point to his Test & FC average, which is fine. Craig's certainly a better pure off-spinner but then Ali has better stats.

It's certainly got more basis than Waddle saying Gup might not open because of where he batted in the netting order. There's zero chance he doesn't open tomorrow.
How glorious this must be for Waddle though. A team finally surging, good players, a good captain, an evenly matched series, and one imagines a few sessions with his old mate Jeremy Coney to savour.

Delicious.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How glorious this must be for Waddle though. A team finally surging, good players, a good captain, an evenly matched series, and one imagines a few sessions with his old mate Jeremy Coney to savour.

Delicious.
Brian will surely need to have the chips on both his shoulders removed and receive a course of anti-bitterness medication before he can enjoy anything wouldn't he? Been a great supporter of NZ cricket but I confess to finding his stints grating because of his general sourness.

Having said that, he does know the game very well, and I'd still have him over most or all of the TV blokes we have here on Nine.

Brad McNamara.

Zinzan

Brian will surely need to have the chips on both his shoulders removed and receive a course of anti-bitterness medication before he can enjoy anything wouldn't he? Been a great supporter of NZ cricket but I confess to finding his stints grating because of his general sourness.

Having said that, he does know the game very well, and I'd still have him over most or all of the TV blokes we have here on Nine.

Brad McNamara.
Was always going to be a tough career decision for Brian in choosing between cricket commentating and male modelling. Cricket was richer that it was the former.

Zinzan

Waddle on radio sport saying Guptill batted number 7 in the order in the nets, which he took to mean he might not be opening. Might hinge on Anderson's fitness.
No chance, Hesson basically guaranteed Guppy would be opening in an interview after his 150. Sounds like Wadds was pranking radio sport listeners.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I can't see how batting order in the nets translates to anything meaningful when it comes to predicting who will open in the Test.

cnerd123

likes this
I can't see how batting order in the nets translates to anything meaningful when it comes to predicting who will open in the Test.
TBF India does it all the time. And even sites like Cricinfo have (accurately) used that as a means of predicting the batting/bowling order in games to come.

Zinzan

Exactly. By that rationale, if Henry and Boult are first to pad-up today, it means they must be opening the batting come Thursday.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Every now and then it might, but if Gup's had a good hit and Hesson wants to put the likes of Kane, Brendon, Ross and particularly Tim in front of the new-ball bowlers on the one day Waddle lobs at training, it shouldn't be taken as gospel that it dictates the batting order. And in any case, Gup's not batting 7 now is he? So that makes a liar of it straight away.

Waddle, a very funny man. A very dodgy man.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
TBF India does it all the time. And even sites like Cricinfo have (accurately) used that as a means of predicting the batting/bowling order in games to come.
Guptill batting in the nets at 7 could just as well mean that he faced another new ball in preparation for opening.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Guptill and Latham vs Cook and Lyth - NZ 0.5 (Lyth's inexperience)

KW, Taylor, Baz vs Ballance, Bell, Root - England 0.5 (Root takes them over the edge)

Southee, Boult, Henry vs Jimmy, Broad, Jordan - NZ 1.5 (Henry makes a big difference)

The rest are all about equal imo.

NZ should win this.

Zinzan

Guptill and Latham vs Cook and Lyth - NZ 0.5 (Lyth's inexperience)

KW, Taylor, Baz vs Ballance, Bell, Root - England 0.5 (Root takes them over the edge)

Southee, Boult, Henry vs Jimmy, Broad, Jordan - NZ 1.5 (Henry makes a big difference)

The rest are all about equal imo.

NZ should win this.
No factoring-in for the 4-5 NZ'der's who are completely & utterly underdone in these conditions?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
oh now you can't drop a hint like this and walk away. tell us the gossip. i've never heard anything like this said about him.
Haha no I need to make it a drive-by. Nothing the law needs to know about, that I'm aware of. Can make a pest of himself at restaurants with staff of the fairer ***

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No factoring-in for the 4-5 NZ'der's who are completely & utterly underdone in these conditions?
Well yeah, but England just failed to beat Windies, so it evens out.

Tbf, it may well come down to who performs better, Moeen or Craig.