• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia 2015

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Pretty sure being able to score centuries is an important skill outside of Australia as well.
Yeah of course it is, glad we agree.

Im so pumped for this Test, Siddle under lights will be a magical experience, wish I was going

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah of course it is, glad we agree.

Im so pumped for this Test, Siddle under lights will be a magical experience, wish I was going
I generally loathe Adelaide tests as they are such an uneven contest between bat and ball for 3 or more days

However, I might tune into the night session to see whether our batsmen **** themselves at the sight of the first ball moving off the straight and narrow

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So people...what of 'The Gup'?

Should another couple of failures at Adelaide once and for all put an end to his future as a test opener or will he get the 2 home tests ahead of the likes of Ruds/Brownlie/others regardless?

It's clear he gets more chances than most given that fact he's a magnificent fieldsman, a great team-man, an excellent ODI bat & of course such an attractive stroke player when he does get the ball away.

For me, if he's going to make it as a test bat it has to be in the middle-order. I know he managed to protect the openers from the new nut for a while at the Gabba, but it seems there's just too many ways to get him out as an opener. His hard hands means edges invariably carry to slip, and he just seems to be one of these guys who edges a lot (rather than playing and missing) & of course he's a real LBW candidate with the ball moving back in.
Guptill will never make it as a test batsman. I don't think moving him down to the middle-order will really help him out that much so long as he's so ill-suited to the game. It's not just a frailty against the new ball that's his issue - indeed his efforts against the new ball this series have actually been pretty decent. However, his technique, judgment and mental approach are all inappropriate for the longer form of the game. He might play a lot of tests in his career due to the lack of depth in New Zealand, but he'll never consistently average above 30 against anyone besides Zimbang and maybe WI.

Bossbabe909

Cricket Spectator
Klinger vs Shaun m

well I think selector not interested in Klinger, who more deserves than Shaun Marsh with better batting averages, even Dollan , Fergusion ,Handscomb or cowan could be better choice than test, un-successive shaun.when-ever Khawaja return smith has to return to number 4.he scored 48 and 8 batted at 4.
.johnson who just retired from test cricket so pattinson will play for Australia but I doubt Kerry O'keeffe also plays at Adelaide.

Jeet Rawal knocking door for newzeland test matches, well right now Guptill lost his golden touch but its more unlikely selector make changes and try jeet as opener.newzeland A's middle order batsman mark Nicholas is amazing batsman, he will make it in senior team when-ever some player will retire from newzeland senior team.

Bossbabe909

Cricket Spectator
Kerry in good nick right now, who is more successful in the first innings than 2nd. usually spinner are more effectives in 2nd innings..
mark Craig had good debut in middle east with both bat and ball, where he took 7 plus test wkts.he is total struggle, I will not blame him.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Jeet Raval has to be close to a gig opening, surely? I know Athlai still maintains he's a myth, but an EPOO bully could have been rather useful on the EPOO-ish Aussie Test decks.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guptill is worth keeping for a season imo. He won't average 40 but he's shown he can stay out there for a bit. While the patches have obviously been very flat, he's still done his bit without being great. If he can consistently eat up 50-60 balls at the start of an innings, then he's probably worth his place in the side despite averaging mid 20s. Sort of like a slightly worse version of Kaushal Silva.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Jeet Raval has to be close to a gig opening, surely? I know Athlai still maintains he's a myth, but an EPOO bully could have been rather useful on the EPOO-ish Aussie Test decks.
Nah greentop hero Will Young to get into the opener's race shortly, rather than become an annoying Santner nemesis. I think that's how the agribusiness tribe is now speaking.

Howsie

International Captain
Behind Rutherford and Brownlie....

Personally never really been a fan of his game, can look like his feet are cemented to the ground most of the time, never a good sign for a potential test opener.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guptill will never make it as a test batsman. I don't think moving him down to the middle-order will really help him out that much so long as he's so ill-suited to the game.
Yeah, I don't think he will either, I suppose I meant in contrast to being an opener, he'd be slightly less exposed as a middle order bat. That said, we've been there, done that and he failed in the middle order also.

Last edited: