• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England 2014

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
It's true, we've been really ****ed over by Cook not scoring tons in the last two home Ashes
I'd say that his piss poor series in 2009 and 2013 didn't help matters. Thankfully, Strauss (2009), Bell and Pietersen (2013) rather papered over the fact he's rubbish vs quality fast bowling in England (his hundred in the Amla test is the exception). If he is to lead the team to success he needs to lead front the front to hurt the Aussies with big opening stands and hundreds.

It's the same technique which he's used to cobble together, well, more Test hundreds than any of the other 664 men who've played Tests for England. More than Gooch, Gower, or Grace; more than Hobbs, Hutton or Hammond. He's been out of form and playing poorly. He's now back in form and playing better, against what I reckon (and perhaps I'm in a minority here) is a decent Indian pace attack in often helpful conditions. I think that's a good thing. The alternative which as I understand it you favour is that he fails abysmally, gets dropped from the team, miraculously reshapes his technique (at age 30), and returns to the team as a transformed player to win the Ashes. With all due respect, I think that's unrealistic. It's better for him and for the team for him simply to end his bad trot and to get back to the productive vein which has served him pretty well over the last 100 odd Tests.
Cook is a brilliant player of spin bowling. It has been about survival and not getting out vs pace. At the moment, I think he'll be rolled over by the Aussies and South Africans for very little next year.

I wouldn't suggest that he's recovered his form at all. His 70* vs India was the best I've seen him play (unfortunately, I got into cricket at the same time he scored his 130 vs New Zealand). The adjustments that he's made such as taking a stride forward is positive but he's still edgy and against Johnson he's going to get out a lot.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
On Woakes, PEWS has summed it up nicely with his post earlier, I'd say he bowls like you'd expect a top order batsman who's a handy bowler to bowl. He's accurate, keeps it tight but doesn't really look like taking huge amounts of wickets.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Cook's scored plenty of runs against pace over the years. The 2010/11 Ashes showed that it's not simply a question of him surviving and not getting out against pace. There, it was a question of him ritually disembowelling a highly-regarded Australian pace attack (Mitch Johnson included) on Australian pitches for day after day after day.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Cook's scored plenty of runs against pace over the years. The 2010/11 Ashes showed that it's not simply a question of him surviving and not getting out against pace. There, it was a question of him ritually disembowelling a highly-regarded Australian pace attack (Mitch Johnson included) on Australian pitches for day after day after day.
The way that the same attack disembowelled him in 2013 shows either than Cook left outside off fantastically in 2010/11, or the Aussie bowling was piss poor against Cook in 2010/11. The discipline the Aussie bowlers showed in 2013/14 made me think that Cook was merely capitalising on bad bowling. He'd hardly scored a run against the Aussies before and after that series...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aside from one series, Cook has been largely poor against Australia so another moderate series would hardly be a surprise

However, the same could be said of Mitch

Anyway, it's a long way off and our paper mache fast bowlers have a lot of overs to get through before even boarding the plane

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The way that the same attack disembowelled him in 2013 shows either than Cook left outside off fantastically in 2010/11, or the Aussie bowling was piss poor against Cook in 2010/11. The discipline the Aussie bowlers showed in 2013/14 made me think that Cook was merely capitalising on bad bowling. He'd hardly scored a run against the Aussies before and after that series...
Essentially, I think, it's about one team getting on top of another, grinding them down and breaking their spirit. That's what England did to Australia in 10/11, and the roles were reversed in 13/14.

And to return to the point, Cook failing now and being dropped over the winter seems to me to be a fairly poor way for him (or the side he captains) to prepare for an Ashes series.

social

Essentially, I think, it's about one team getting on top of another, grinding them down and breaking their spirit. That's what England did to Australia in 10/11, and the roles were reversed in 13/14.

And to return to the point, Cook failing now and being dropped over the winter seems to me to be a fairly poor way for him (or the side he captains) to prepare for an Ashes series.
Given that England don't play another test until WI in April next year, I think it's a moot point

If he's referring to dropping him for ODIs then I fail to see the relevance to the Ashes

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
You're kidding. It'd be enormously disruptive and undermining for player, captain and team for him to fail and be dropped.

social

You're kidding. It'd be enormously disruptive and undermining for player, captain and team for him to fail and be dropped.
He's been failing forever and the ODI team is a separate entity (and largely rubbish)

Might actually do him good to sit out the inevitable hammering in the WC

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** this ****

There was probably more spine in the squid that this calamari I'm eating came from. (It's delicious ftr, smothered with lots of cheese just how PEWS likes it)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Preach, Daemon. That official 2 Test series we won was exciting, but this second 3 JAMT series (refer JAMODI) we've tacked on at the end just to make the ECB more money is what's wrong with the cricketing world.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Guys quick question as I am in SL so have only seen the scorecards- was the wicket THAT bad or was it excellent bowling and/or poor batting??

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nothing wrong with it but I don't think that implies it wasn't favouring the bowler. England were pretty fortunate not to lose two wickets.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We bowled well, they didn't bat well other than Dhoni. Not seen much of our innings apart from Cook was very lucky with an lbw.