• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group A General Discussion

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A bit of both (mental strength and skill) TBH. Guys like Waugh, Bevan and Symonds were amazing at turning around near impossible situations (thinking mainly of WC games) and you need a lot of self-belief and toughness to do that. There's a pretty close correlation between the technical and mental sides of the game.
Once you get to a certain level, it's all about the mental side of the game

Whilst your examples arent great because you highlight some of the best players ever, the point still stands

I remember seeing Yuvraj for the first time and thinking that he was the best young player I'd ever seen

Unfortunately, he's soft and every opponent knows it

IMO, Oz should be favourites for this WC until they are knocked out because they are the only side that can overcome their technical weaknesses with strength of will

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I heard on the radio over the weekend that the no result means there is a decent chance SL will end up playing India in a QF now. I'm not aware of the permutations of what needs to take place, but is that the case? Would be an amazing match.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's possible. If we beat Pakistan then we'll top the group, and you'd think NZ would finish 4th. SL have an advantage in NRR and have an easier run home, though.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Mr. Cricket is back. We're gonna win the WC.
Hussey and Nannes as cover 8-) Imagine a bowling attack with Lee, Tait, Nannes and Johnson in it. Surely would be the fastest of all time if it where to happen.

The business end of the group stages is coming up with NZ playing the big guns Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Australia still to play Pakistan. The lower teams may even face England/West Indies in the quarter finals if they finish higher up in group B.

salman85

International Debutant
I don't think NZ will finish top of the group.Can't see them beating Srilanka.

Srilanka and Australia dropped a point each because of the rain effected game.Srilanka have already lost 1 game,and so have NZ.The team that tops the group will be one of Australia and Pakistan IMO.Their head to head clash would decide that IMO.

Howe_zat

Audio File
So while the top four in group A are all basically through - I don't rate Zimbabwe to cause problems from here - their position in the group is what they're playing for now.

Australia are the only unbeaten team and are likely to top the group, while Sri Lanka's point against them is likely to set them ahead and have them in second. I don't think Pakistan will beat Aus for now, especially not at the end of the group stages where the result just doesn't matter that much.

Sri Lanka vs New Zealand seems like the Sri Lankans' match at home. New Zealand have been terribly inconsistent and don't look like stringing a run of results together in the batting. They could prove me wrong but we'll see.

That leaves the Kiwis level on points with Pakistan, so it comes down to NRR. NZ are already ahead and have a game against the Canadians to try and boost it, so I'm backing them to snag the #3 spot.

Australia (11pts)
Sri Lanka (9pts)
New Zealand (8pts)
Pakistan (8pts)

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ's NRR from their wins must be pretty awesome at the moment. The only thing left to be decided in this group is the order in which the teams qualify.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
So while the top four in group A are all basically through - I don't rate Zimbabwe to cause problems from here - their position in the group is what they're playing for now.

Australia are the only unbeaten team and are likely to top the group, while Sri Lanka's point against them is likely to set them ahead and have them in second. I don't think Pakistan will beat Aus for now, especially not at the end of the group stages where the result just doesn't matter that much.

Sri Lanka vs New Zealand seems like the Sri Lankans' match at home. New Zealand have been terribly inconsistent and don't look like stringing a run of results together in the batting. They could prove me wrong but we'll see.

That leaves the Kiwis level on points with Pakistan, so it comes down to NRR. NZ are already ahead and have a game against the Canadians to try and boost it, so I'm backing them to snag the #3 spot.

Australia (11pts)
Sri Lanka (9pts)
New Zealand (8pts)
Pakistan (8pts)
THis is exactly what i was going to post.
Possibility of a Ind v Pak quarter-final too now.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Australia (11pts)
Sri Lanka (9pts)
New Zealand (8pts)
Pakistan (8pts)
Looks like there's a decent chance that South Africa might finish third in Group B, which would make second place in this group less desirable than expected. March 12 is India v SA (with two other important matches the previous day), so I guess we'll know by then.

Athlai

Not Terrible
New Zealand should finish in the top 3 of the group now. Sri Lanka have had a pretty easy few opening matches but will likely prove tricky in home conditions.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
New Zealand should finish in the top 3 of the group now. Sri Lanka have had a pretty easy few opening matches but will likely prove tricky in home conditions.
Dunno if that's good or bad with SA losing to England. It kind of shuffles the group up. Only the top ranked will be probably safe and assured not to face India or SA.

Mike5181

International Captain
Who do we fear more in a Quarter final knock out situation though? India or South Africa? Probably South Africa.

salman85

International Debutant
If i was a NZ fan,i'd be more worried about India.

Home fans,home team,it's crazy if you're playing vs India in India.

Blaze 18

Banned
Amongst top sides, I'd much rather face South Africa in a knockout match than any other (with the possible exception of West Indies).

I hope we get Sri Lanka in the quarters. New Zealand always seem to have the wood on us in big games (Champions Trophy final anyone), Australia are the world's best side and inhumanely good under pressure and Pakistan are, well, Pakistan.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I will take South Africa. India just finished kicking our asses in an ODI series and they rested some of their top players.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm hoping for South Africa or England.

All a quarterfinal with one of those would need is just one player to not choke like the other 21 on the teamsheets.