• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Group A Discussion

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well done Lankans, I'm just going to hide under a rock now, rather than listen to the fall-out, going to be depressing.

A World-class player outclassed us, it happens.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Finn got to come in surley? Not really sure what is going on with him at the moment, is there still fitness issues, or do they just think he is not bowling well?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol. Great news to wake up to. Thought the great bowling attack world have done the job there, such is their awesomeness that all would fall before them. Alas, no.

Sanga. Wag.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well done Lankans, I'm just going to hide under a rock now, rather than listen to the fall-out, going to be depressing.

A World-class player outclassed us, it happens.
Pretty much it. T'would have been nice if our opening bowlers had shown up, but perhaps they just weren't good enough.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
That was a mighty impressive chase. Sets up the group for sure.
Yeah.

Teams haven't been chasing 250, so a chase of nearly 300 with 3 overs to spare sends quite a message.

That said, it was pretty much all Sangakkarra.

Strange but successful choice with Kulasekara to come in though

Woodster

International Captain
Excellent chase from SL, and been thinking how it went wrong today for England. Of course there's the usual debate that will rage on about Bell, Cook and Trott as a top three, even Cook by his own admission in the after match interview suggesting his struggles today perhaps cost England around 20 runs. But we had a very decent platform, unfortunately none of the top three could make a significant match winning total and so it was down to a Morgan or a Buttler or as it turned out, albeit a tad late, a Ravi Bopara to really up the run rate. These guys won't always come off when they're going in with only a few overs left, had they done so we'd have probably made around 320. It's not like the top three were utterly sluggish, they were ticking along at just over five an over when Trott was out. I don't think there was a massive fault with the batting, or speed of it today.

Bowling wise, there was no reverse swing about, not helped by a ball change after 20 overs or so when they'd been working hard on it. We still lacked a genuine threat when the partnerships were set, Sanga and Jayawardane had a period where we really couldn't stop them scoring and they were comfortably milking 6/7/8 an over. Can we be a bit more aggressive with our field placings to stop these ones and twos ? We do have Steve Finn waiting in the wings who on today's performance would have been more penetrative than Stuart Broad, but that's a hindsight selection. More than likely he will come in for NZ on Sunday. I also thought our fielding was pretty dam good today on the whole.

Huge credit to Sanga though, thought he was superb today, a controlled innings full of typical elegance and ease of strokeplay, showing there is not always a need to bludgeon the ball to the boundary when a timed caress will suffice.

All in all, yes there are areas where we could have done better, but definitely one of those days where we were beaten by a side who chased down a decent total pretty professionally, and by a player who played to his world class capabilities.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sanga :cool: Best batsman of this era for me. Still remember when he scored 100 out of a team total of about 160 against a rampant Shane Bond on a Christchurch greentop. Greatest innings I've ever seen live.

Sets up the group nicely for an exciting final round. You'd think that with their combined batting and bowling strength, SL should have too much for Aus, but you never know. Although it would guarantee our passage into the semi's, I really hope the rain doesn't spoil things on sunday.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sanga :cool: Best batsman of this era for me. Still remember when he scored 100 out of a team total of about 160 against a rampant Shane Bond on a Christchurch greentop. Greatest innings I've ever seen live.
I remember this.

Him and Rahul Dravid are the best batsmen I've ever seen in New Zealand, across all formats. I actually seem to remember Dravid dominating in ODIs at that point too.