• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I've not been following this thread too closely, is it a big deal here that England have really screwed up by having to choose between Tremlett (past-it), Finn (out of form) and Rankin (inexperienced)? Watching Tremlett bowl and then considering the alternatives, it becomes truly apparent how much England have screwed up by omitting Onions.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The problem really is that England can't seem to break the Australian bowlers' control of the situation - even in England, with the exception of Lords' 2nd dig where we basically gave up, at no stage did it look like the situation was getting out of the bowlers' hands.
It was like this in the NZ series as well.

That's the value that Prior brings to the table, and why it's such a serious issue when he's not scoring.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The problem is that Clarke, or somebody in the back room staff, is an absolute ****ing genius when it comes to field placement.
Nah I think that this batting lineup just doesn't have the capability to score quickly against good bowling attacks without serious contributions from KP and Prior.

the big bambino

International Captain
what, by averaging over 30? The idea of any of Bird, Starc or Pattinson playing in this series is crazy to me, but Siddle has only taken 3 wickets in his last 3 test matches
Christ! 3 in his last 3 eh. When you cherry pick it like that I see what you mean.

Btw what did Pattinson ave in Eng?

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
I've not been following this thread too closely, is it a big deal here that England have really screwed up by having to choose between Tremlett (past-it), Finn (out of form) and Rankin (inexperienced)? Watching Tremlett bowl and then considering the alternatives, it becomes truly apparent how much England have screwed up by omitting Onions.
Agree about Tremlett. He was picked on faith not form and looks to have been the wrong call. But if England's problem was a lack of fire power I can't see Onions' fixing that problem.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Fantastic and well needed win. Should ignite interest in what has been a losing team all year.

Unlike the typically depressive English supporters, I'm not locking in an Ashes win by any means

- Johnson relied on bounce this match. How will he fare at Adelaide when conditions aren't perfect for him?

- Our top 6 was fairly woeful aside from Warner & Clarke. Took some amazing batting from Haddin in the first innings to set the match up from us.

If Smith and Watson had contributed heavily with the bat as well then I'd be more upbeat (Rogers too obviously)

Hooksey

Banned
"Australia believes Mitchell Johnson has England's batsmen paralysed by fear after his nine-wicket haul"

- headline from The Daily Telegraph.

"A Rampaging Johnson Has Quivering Poms Spooked"

- headline from The Herald Sun.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Bigger win than I expected but good stuff from the lads. I personally would like to see more of a contest than this. A lot will depend on the pitches. I can't see anything other than Perth carnage based on how the English top order can't handle bounce. So that's 2 zip. The Poms best chances are on the drop ins and Sydney.

The sky commentators felt that Trott wouldn't be dropped at all so that's fine as an Aussie. Every time we nick Carberry or Cook it will be 2 down really quick with KP in earlier than he wants.

mintykip

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This test match was an exhibition of the difference between medium fast bowling and genuinely fast bowling on a conducive pitch. the difference between how both sets of batsmen looked and played was quite stark, with the Australian batsmen looking on the whole quite comfortable and able to smash our bowlers when required, while the English batsman looked liked rabbits in the headlights and at no point did they really look settled and comfortable. I know it's too early to say and i shouldn't be all doom and gloom but the warning signs are there for England, and we better win at Adelaide because another WACA mauling is just over the horizon.

I'd love for England to bring in their own fast strike bowler to dish out what Johnson served up, as there is no way we can stick with pedestrian 125km/h tremlett, but as stated earlier in the forum i don't believe Finn or Rankin would be anywhere nearly as hostile or effective as Johnson.

the big bambino

International Captain
Broad and Anderson's speeds are fine. I thought Jimmy bowled well enough to take more than he did. Notice how well both Broad and Anderson contained our batsmen when we resumed our 2nd innings on the 3rd morning. Then came Tremlett...despite the fact he took Twatto's wicket. Neither will Swann be as effective here. Much better if you have a proven wicket taker like Finn who can arc it up to the 140s. A wicket taking threat that maintains the pressure built up by Broad and Anderson as opposed to Tremlett who slowly leaks it.

I'd also go with 5 bowlers. If Trott is shot then maybe he's the one who should go rather than hide him at 5. Bring in Stokes. My Eng XI Cook, Carberry, Bell, KP, Root, Stokes, Prior, Swann, Broad, Anderson, Finn. Everyone can contribute with the bat - even Finn. If Adelaide is flat it could justify playing 5 bowlers plus there may not be the bounce that could expose the bowling all rounders.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Finn doesn't maintain the pressure though. Despite excellent ODI bowling, he leaks far too many runs in test cricket.

I'd probably leave Tremlett for now, but look to bring in Rankin for Perth.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
If Tremlett couldn't bowl well or take wickets at Brisbane then he's going to really struggle on the Adelaide wicket.

Same could be said for Mitchell Johnson but to a lesser extent obviously.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think TC has a point in that on a flat deck like the AO, a shock bowler like Johnson could be extremely useful - after all, it only takes one ball to snap a partnership.

Could also go to the cleaners, ofc.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Used correctly there's no reason why not. No shortage of relevant history of out-and-out quicks doing well at AO but they need to right support from both captain and other bowlers.

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
Must say most of the less enlightened Australians I've come across so far have all been Victorians..
Funny how someone comes back with something so stupid I dont know what to respond with.
If England are not the most Overrated Team in the last 20 years Im not a Bruce. I mean were talking Australia's worst team since the 60's and we carved them up in the last test in England it was only Rain that saved there ass then Brisbane England looked like a New South Wales Country team.
Mate I could have faced Mitchell Johnson with more Balls.............FACT

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Funny how someone comes back with something so stupid I dont know what to respond with.
If England are not the most Overrated Team in the last 20 years Im not a Bruce. I mean were talking Australia's worst team since the 60's and we carved them up in the last test in England it was only Rain that saved there ass then Brisbane England looked like a New South Wales Country team.
Mate I could have faced Mitchell Johnson with more Balls.............FACT
So is your view that England are better than Australia, but the English team are overrated by the media/fans, i.e. they are good but not as good as is claimed? Otherwise still can't argue with results - beating everyone except South Africa (obv. this series is still going and they're losing).